What's new

Enameled cast iron Casserole

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
you have a lifetime set there, I am sure over time they will get good use.
I looked a Stubbs but the price was the highest here of all the pots. That set would have cost a few thousand dollars here.

I need to try this no knead bread.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It is Staub, yes. My fiancé is a bit of an overachiever. He feels if one is good then 10 pieces must be better.

I love using the cocettes for baking no-knead bread. Yum.

I don't cook in them enough. I just lack the time and have a picky man to feed. :-(

Hey Eperdu(don't know your first name) fire one of those beautiful enamel coated pots up. Maybe some chili for starters.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I only had a couple of Guinness last night so good to go today. Prime Steer Shortribs are now in the oven.
Do I need a bigger pot :lol:

$Short ribs & Guinness 2.jpg.png

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
They don't make a bigger pot. You are good to go bud. My mouth is somewhat watery.
My mouth is full of Guinness. :a54:

Yeah I know this is a big as it gets. They may fit better in the pot if I cut them down a bit but I don't have a meat saw and I like the man size piece.
I have seven more whole Shortribs, so the BBQ is calling for a go at these.

I used Guinness for these but any stout will do. I almost got a NZ stout made with Oysters......intriguing
I think that will be a must for the next one in the pot.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Glad I had a big pot for this. It was the right width but still have not made use of the height. I think this pot fully loaded would be very heavy.

$Short ribs 2.jpg

$Shortribs 3.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I received my Le Chasseur Round Casserole 30cm in Inferno Red today.
It's the wrong time of the year here to get the most out of it but got it now as the price was right.
I think it was worth the wait to save some money in the out of season sales.

$20150105_165337.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Beautiful Chris. Ah, now the next question is????? It never ends....

I suggest paella. Yip, it's Out of your comfort zone. Full of seafood and perfect for the pot. You better look that one up.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
yip I have thought of paella and that sounds great.
I have also been thinking of some big Porks chops in a apple sauce, cottage pie, chicken thighs or drum sticks, maybe a lemon chicken. Devilled sausages. Fish, we have some Snapper in the freezer.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I think summer time is on in NZ you can use your cast iron on the bbq. No heat in the house.
yes it's our summer here. Using the BBQ sounds a good idea for a low a slow cook without cooking the house as well. I'll give that a go.
This time of year I prefer lighter meals, so it would still probally get more use in the cooler months.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
first meal for the Flat Red pan. Had the chicken already, so this sounded nice.
Creamy Spicy Baked Chicken

Ingredients

• 2½ - 3 pound chicken drumsticks
  • ¼ cup olive oil or canola oil
  • 1 ½ teaspoon seasoned salt (I used creole seasoning - paprika, salt, Garlic Powder, Ground black pepper, Onion powder, cayenne powder, dried oregano & dried thyme)
  • 1 onion diced
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • ½ cup tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Italian herbs (mine was 1/2 teaspoon each Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme & Sage all dried)
  • ½ cup milk
  • ½ cup cream(heavy or whipping cream)
  • 1cup chicken broth or water
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1-teaspoon white pepper
  • 2 -3 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • Salt to taste.

Instructions
Preheat oven 450 degrees
Rinse chicken legs, season chicken with seasoned salt and pepper. Set aside
In a large Dutch oven or large skillet heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and brown . Turn chicken once or twice to ensure even brownness.
Or place chicken on a rack and bake in the oven 450 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Remove chicken and set aside. Drain oil and leave about 2 tablespoons
Add onions, followed by minced garlic stir for about 5 minutes, then add cream, milk, tomato sauce, paprika, white pepper, Italian seasoning parsley, salt and pepper
Place in the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
Adjust sauce thickness and seasoning with water or broth, salt according to preference.

$20150111_181658.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Arrived home to find that the Misses had cooked some lamb shanks in the new pan.
Good to see that see has taken a liking to the pan as well.

$20150114_164244.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
One more for flat red...........Pork Chops on sliced potato, with onion, mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper.

$20150125_181252.jpg

Top Bottom