What's new

Enameled cast iron Casserole

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Time for a hot curry. I am going to make a Pork Vindaloo the same as Madhur Jaffrey, as per the video in post #59.
Pork is now marinating in the salt & wine vinegar. I will leave it for three hours then add the spice mix to complete marinating for tomorrow nights dinner.

Edit: I added a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and used some hot paprika & sweet paprika. Had to use more vinegar than she says to get the paste looking right.
The paste smells nice as is, even the little woman agrees.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I need to do a little research as to why certain dishes are called "curry" when there is no curry powder used in the recipe. From my limited knowledge I found that some dishes are called "curry" with the use of just garlic, ginger and turmeric. So, I'm trying to understand the use of the word.

From Wikipedia: Curry (/ˈkʌri/, plural curries) is a dish whose origins are Southern and Southeastern Asian cuisines, as well as New World cuisines influenced by them such as Trinidadian, Mauritian or Fijian. The common feature is the incorporation of complex combinations of spices or herbs, usually including fresh or dried hot chillies. Some limit the use of the term curry to dishes prepared in a sauce,[1][2] but curries may be "wet" or "dry".

In original traditional cuisines, the precise selection of spices for each dish is a matter of national or regional cultural tradition, religious practice, and, to some extent, family preference. Such dishes are called by specific names that refer to their ingredients, spicing, and cooking methods.[3]

Traditionally, spices are used both whole and ground; cooked or raw; and they may be added at different times during the cooking process to produce different results.

Curry powder, a commercially prepared mixture of spices, is largely a Western notion, dating to the 18th century. Such mixtures are commonly thought to have first been prepared by Indian merchants for sale to members of the British Colonial government and army returning to Britain.

Dishes called "curry" may contain meat, poultry, fish, or shellfish, either alone or in combination with vegetables. Many are instead entirely vegetarian, especially among those who hold ethical or religious proscriptions against eating meat or seafood.

Curries may be either "wet" or "dry." Wet curries contain significant amounts of sauce or gravy based on yoghurt, coconut milk, legume purée (dal), or stock. Dry curries are cooked with very little liquid which is allowed to evaporate, leaving the other ingredients coated with the spice mixture.

The main spices found in most South Asian curry powders are turmeric, coriander, and cumin; a wide range of additional spices may be included depending on the geographic region and the foods being included (white/red meat, fish, lentils, rice and vegetables).

So as you can see a dish being called a curry doesn't mean it has to have curry powder in it.

After doing extensive research and reading countless online reviews, my wife purchased a 6.5 quart porcelain enamel cast iron dutch oven from Tramontina many years ago. She uses it at least (and often more than) once a week and it has withstood the test of time and proven to be an excellent piece of cookware. I cannot recall what she paid for it at the time, but it was less than a comparable Le Creuset. I believe the particular model that we have has now been discontinued and replaced with a newer model, so I cannot speak to the quality of the new model. I'm pretty sure that Amazon carries Tramontina products.

Those Tramontina ovens can usually be found for $50 USD or less. They have them as a seasonal item at my local Sam's Club for $39 USD. The new models have larger handles and a metal knob which the model from a few years ago didn't. Guess the metal knob is for all the people wanting to cook in high heat ovens with these ovens (think No Knead Bread).

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The definition of a curry is as Fishenfool has posted but I will add that the word curry is not a Asian word, as they would just call it a Vindaloo, Chicken Korma etc.
Making her recipe you first grind it into a power (a very rough looking powder), then you grind the wet ingredients and combine to make a paste.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I think I'm getting the idea now how the word "curry" is referred to in the name of a dish or the actual powder. Two ways of saying it are:

"We are having a Pork massaman curry tonight for dinner."

or

My recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of curry powder.

After reading a few recipes, some don't call for curry powder. But the actual ingredients make up the dish to be a curry recipe.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yip that's it.
Curry powders are made for convenience and a lot of recipes will make it from scratch. Both will give the same meal but as fresh is best with spice the from scratch (grinding seeds etc) will reward you with a better meal.

I actually have a very old Vindaloo curry power that was hiding in the back of the spice cupboard. I can not find this one anymore but there are a few brands of Vindaloo paste available.

$20140927_073457.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Meat has been marinating for about 17 hours now. Gave it a stir, smell nice. SWMBO says it smells like it has already been cooked.
Still hours to go before I start cooking it but here is it marinating and the reserved paste.

$20140927_102514.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It is pork leg from the loin end. The shoulder would be better IMO but the only one in the shop looked a bit fatty. hey I could have saved the fat for making some sausages.
I think since it is marinating and I am going to slow cook it the leg should be ok.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I know it needs to simmer...dang it, where is my favorite spoon for a little taste?
The paste smelt so good I had a little taste of it raw.............yip very nice and I think she's goner be hot.
I am just going to pull it out of the oven for a stir, I will taste some just for you.:001_smile

edit: Taste test has been done, sorry Aaron it's horrible you won't want any...........I will have to man up and eat it all myself :001_tongu

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The paste smelt so good I had a little taste of it raw.............yip very nice and I think she's goner be hot.
I am just going to pull it out of the oven for a stir, I will taste some just for you.:001_smile

edit: Taste test has been done, sorry Aaron it's horrible you won't want any...........I will have to man up and eat it all myself :001_tongu

Ha, ....thou shalt not bear false witness against the curry. If it's bad, lie...if it's good say yum.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
yum yum YUM. Rice is on now, my mouth is still warm from tasting a few minutes ago. Now this is a man curry..........

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
No kidding...I ate my Indian Chicken Curry Korma leftovers tonight. It was delicious. Even better than the first day. Chili and spaghetti are two others that taste better with a little age.

Top Bottom