What's new

EBAY DIGEST: Interesting Shaving Related Recent Sales Recap

I sometimes live snipe, but usually just bid and walk away. Like @Mark1966 I have managed to lose on a slow creeper and then been offered a second chance later when they didn't pay up.
When I live snipe, I often end up deciding that something is worth more to me than I initially planned on spending during the last second or so; so the price goes up.
I do miss out on things because of it, I got into a conversation last night and missed out on a Sheraton box and cardboard box last night.
Every time I make the highest or second highest bid, I think over the idea that I've just incrementally increased the average price of these razors.

Does anyone else automatically suspect shill bidding when they receive a second-chance offer?
Not usually, I figure it was someone unknown who was screwing around and went outside their capability to cover their bet.
The last two second chance offers I recieved were (1) for a second, better condition razor.
(2) a buyer who failed to pay at least a solid week and a half after the auction.

Why I don't own a Bohin,

Razor rasoir French Bohin | eBay

Jumped from 144 Euros to 210 in the last 4 seconds. It has been rumored that there was a version that had 4 levels of aggressiveness all in one base plate, can anyone confirm? That model, if it existed, is what the Rockwell could have been. The Bohin design sure is attractive, and one in stainless with 4 different levels would hit all the right notes.

View attachment 779545
I got this one.
It looks in a great condition.
Hopefully it's the one with the 4 different levels of aggression, but actually, I'll be satisfied with one level of aggression - very high.

Losers tend to be whiners. Bid what you want to spend within your budget and stand back and see who wins in the end. ymmv.......I don't think you will win a $100 razor with an early $12 bid. Just my 2 cents. Be willing to spend what you are prepared to and don't whine when you lose.

Losers tend to be whiners. Bid what you want to spend within your budget and stand back and see who wins in the end. ymmv.......I don't think you will win a $100 razor with an early $12 bid. Just my 2 cents. Be willing to spend what you are prepared to and don't whine when you lose.
Sometimes after an item goes above my first idea of it's price, I think that the bid I made earlier was far too low and the item was worth just a bit more to me.
When I lose something and it shows up as being bought by another B&Ber, I'm glad I lost it to someone who appreciates it. When I just lose it, I just plan to spend more the next time. Few things are so rare that they don't ever show up again.
When I lose something because I forgot about it... Well I just didn't quite want it that much, did I?

Sometimes after an item goes above my first idea of it's price, I think that the bid I made earlier was far too low and the item was worth just a bit more to me.
When I lose something and it shows up as being bought by another B&Ber, I'm glad I lost it to someone who appreciates it. When I just lose it, I just plan to spend more the next time. Few things are so rare that they don't ever show up again.
When I lose something because I forgot about it... Well I just didn't quite want it that much, did I?
Exactly, you learn and move on. I don't usually get upset because you win some, lose some. eBay has run the same way since it's inception and everyone knows how it works and isn't likely to change over sour grapes.

A properly cased Gillette Red Dot with likely original paperwork slipped under the radar earlier today. It still sold for a hefty price, but I think the price was a bit low given the accessories. I hope it cleans up well for the new owner.

Vintage Gillette Adjustable razor with box and paper work | eBay
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A properly cased Gillette Red Dot with likely original paperwork slipped under the radar earlier today. It still sold for a hefty price, but I think the price was a bit low given the accessories. I hope it cleans up well for the new owner.

Vintage Gillette Adjustable razor with box and paper work | eBay
proxy.php

I was bidding on this one. My max was $510 and I came in second. There were just too many questions for me. If the case was damaged, it loses value substantially. But, the ultimate buyer was a bigger risk taker than I am. He had 667 transactions with eBay, but more power too him. If the razor does not need to be replated and the case is good and the haze cleans off the transparent lid, he can double his money. Worst case, he paid $524 for a set worth $350. I just didn't want to get burned (and already have 2 Red Dots.) Congrats to the seller; he must have been very happy this razor turned out to be a huge winner for him.

I think the seller's return policy is also a nice luxury for the buyer. If the razor turns out to be in really bad shape, I bet you'll see it listed again shortly.

I think the seller's return policy is also a nice luxury for the buyer. If the razor turns out to be in really bad shape, I bet you'll see it listed again shortly.

True. If I was thinking more clearly then I would have seen that. The down-side risk is minimized by the return policy. If the case had crack problems, as I feared, the buyer could balk and because the case had minimal photos and was not described, I guess the seller would have to eat the set back. The razor had a lot of photos (ultimately) showing the razor's poor condition. It would have been tougher to make the seller eat the razor back on the razor condition though. Especially since you would have to start restoration on the razor to see how well the process would "take". Seller could say "no way" I'm not taking back the set based on poor condition of the razor because you modified or altered the razor. Same is kind of true about the case lid. You wouldn't really know if you could restore clarity until you started the restoration process. The seller could again claim you futzed with the case so I'm not taking it back. Maybe the buyer who beat me is a super-expert restorer and knew from the photos that he /she could easily restore the set to very good or fine condition? Still, all in all, with what I personally know about the auction, $510 I still consider a good ceiling on my bid. Again, hat's off to the buyer, he may be able to double his money. As the seller, no way I'm taking a return on a set that has been monkeyed with; and that's what I would have had to do to know if it could be restored to my liking. Great point though about the return policy. I had so many things going through my head I didn't clearly apportion the correct value to the risk as it was in part reduced by the seller's return policy.

How do you think that one got so spotty, Glenn? It almost seems like the plating job wasn't right from the get go. I am no expert though.

Kindly,
Adam

Could be it had some sort of caustic residue on it for a long time that was cleaned off after years of sitting on there. But you are right it doesn't look like normal plating wear.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Could be it had some sort of caustic residue on it for a long time that was cleaned off after years of sitting on there. But you are right it doesn't look like normal plating wear.
Poor bottom dial. I'm hoping she gets the love she deserves.

Could have well been used for years in very hard water and not cleaned. I lived with it for 40 years. I also cleaned my SA weekly so it survived thankfully. $1495.60 wow wow wow........

Top Bottom