What's new

EBAY DIGEST: Interesting Shaving Related Recent Sales Recap

Beautiful Razor and a fine shaver, but this will surely up the cost of lesser grade Red's......

I have a mint USA one with mint case and sealed blades with instructions and the "HEAVY" maroon paper strip that goes with it. I got it for like $80. I was thinking it was worth $250, now who knows? But, this was definitely an interesting auction for me. This one for $480 didn't have the "HEAVY" strip or the sealed blades. I wonder how much the "Made in England" bumps up the value? The Brits definitely made good razors though.

RedTip-Strip-SealedBlades.JPG

Last edited:
It's English.

The rarer kind of made in England TTO. A Super Speed type rather than a Rocket type.

US Red Tip not so rare. In that condition yes, but overall easier to obtain in comparison to made in England versions.

I was really surprised that it went that high nonetheless.

View attachment 784375

Gillette Toggle F4 Adjustable Razor 1960 Rare

Kind of ratty Gillette Chrome Toggle in nickel for $532.99
There's just too much glare in the photos to determine the condition of the plating. The handle seems dirty but ok, and the adjustment knob is the same. But it appears to have gold plating of questionable plating on the head.

I was watching this listing, but not following it closely and had missed the different that is was this specific model. How much would the market be with good plating in the head?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I never like to see green. I once bought a President with green and the rhodium all flaked off where the green was to reveal brown underneath which was the brass. Clean up is fine. But green could very well indicate replating is necessary. There have been nickel chrome toggles for this price without green in the last 4 months. So, I would say the trend is up for pricing on these. A nice mint cased one with paperwork and shipper is $2000+ though.

I never like to see green....

+1

The green is Verdigris, the 'patina' formed when copper, brass or bronze is weathered and exposed to air, or seawater, over a period of time. In other words, if the green is there the plating isn't!

So you can clean it up fine, get rid of the green and it will look fine for a while - but the plating is fundamentally compromised.

+1

The green is Verdigris, the 'patina' formed when copper, brass or bronze is weathered and exposed to air, or seawater, over a period of time. In other words, if the green is there the plating isn't!

So you can clean it up fine, get rid of the green and it will look fine for a while - but the plating is fundamentally compromised.

Thanks for confirming that. Just steer clear of the Verdigris. Oxidized brass is probably like oxidized iron (rust) - it's like a cancer when you get it on your vintage car.

That's a rarer 3-piece razor from a #77 set (unlike the more common ball-end handled one from the #44 set).
I guess the razor attracted the bidders.
I do hope it went to a B&B-er. :)

Thanks for confirming that. Just steer clear of the Verdigris. Oxidized brass is probably like oxidized iron (rust) - it's like a cancer when you get it on your vintage car.
I don't think it's quite as bad as rust--though it's obviously not a good thing. In my understanding, rust begets more rust in a vicious cycle, whereas the verdigris actually protects the copper underneath it to some degree. I guess it's in-between rust and, say, patina on silver.

Top Bottom