What's new

DSC AX - Poleaxe Ti - Which blade gaps?

I have another question for those who have the zamak version.

What is the best handle number for this razor please ?

I have no.2 short handle. Very grippy.
-1939966368724899431.jpg

What were the SS heads selling for? I seen they had a SS head for like $95 but figured that was some mix up unless it included all 3 baseplates. I’d love to have all baseplates in SS if the price was reasonable.

So far this has been the best razor I’ve tried from Ali and I’ll likely order at least one more spare when they’re on sale again. I got handle number 2 and it’s near identical to RazoRock HD handle. It’s a little short for me but for a extra handle it’s above 99% of the handles I’ve received from other razors I’ve purchased.

If I buy another I think I’ll try handle 4 and a smooth top cap. I really like testing different blades against each other so may also order another with scalloped cap so I have 2 identical razors to test blades against each other like I do with my 2 GC .84p heads. For $15-20 it’s hard to beat and 2 spares for under $40 isn’t bad. That would almost certainly last a lifetime if I don’t purchase a SS version.

Also while I’m at it here’s my input on the other razors I ordered at the same time.

I tried the Shield GEM again with a new blade and it was much smoother but still so hard to find the right angle with the way the head is angled and just doesn’t shave natural for me. It has potential so I plan to revisit it in the future.

The Romulus I tried a Feather Pro and it cut a little closer then the Kai but still left way too much stubble for me but was very smooth. I’ll order some super blades before giving up on it.

The half DE head from Yaqi which was like $6 was quite good. It shaved quite efficiently with a new Rubie cut in half. It wasn’t as smooth as my top tier razors but for the price it was probably one of the best values. I plan to do some more shaves with this one in the coming months.

The DS-9 only has one shave so far with a new Rubie blade and it was a wonderful razor head - very similar to my beloved GC .84p. Going off memory I’d say it’s not quite as smooth as the .84p but slightly more efficient. The main negative for me is the safety bar feels a little sharp since the edges aren’t rounded but it’s really not that big of a deal once I started shaving. I think the RazoRock is higher quality but this razor is perfectly adequate and if you love the GameChangers it’s worth checking out. I think I’ll try the new V95 eventually or just grab the new .105p baseplate from RR.

What were the SS heads selling for? I seen they had a SS head for like $95 but figured that was some mix up unless it included all 3 baseplates. I’d love to have all baseplates in SS if the price was reasonable.

$98 in titanium and $46 in stainless for one cap/gap combo. You can see the prices on the site, they just are not in stock.

Has anyone heard if there will be a Lupo 127 OC? I love my 127SB but prefer open combs if I have a choice. Just used my Game Changer 1.05 and it was smooth and efficient! I love these more aggressive Razorock choices lately!

Also while I’m at it here’s my input on the other razors I ordered at the same time.

I tried the Shield GEM again with a new blade and it was much smoother but still so hard to find the right angle with the way the head is angled and just doesn’t shave natural for me. It has potential so I plan to revisit it in the future.

The Romulus I tried a Feather Pro and it cut a little closer then the Kai but still left way too much stubble for me but was very smooth. I’ll order some super blades before giving up on it.

The half DE head from Yaqi which was like $6 was quite good. It shaved quite efficiently with a new Rubie cut in half. It wasn’t as smooth as my top tier razors but for the price it was probably one of the best values. I plan to do some more shaves with this one in the coming months.

The DS-9 only has one shave so far with a new Rubie blade and it was a wonderful razor head - very similar to my beloved GC .84p. Going off memory I’d say it’s not quite as smooth as the .84p but slightly more efficient. The main negative for me is the safety bar feels a little sharp since the edges aren’t rounded but it’s really not that big of a deal once I started shaving. I think the RazoRock is higher quality but this razor is perfectly adequate and if you love the GameChangers it’s worth checking out. I think I’ll try the new V95 eventually or just grab the new .105p baseplate from RR.
Is the v95 the clone of the GC 1.05?

Is the v95 the clone of the GC 1.05?
Not exactly but the V92, V95, S9 are all GameChanger clones with different blade gaps. The V95 is getting up there close to the .105p plate of the new GC.

I imagine they are fairly similar shaving but since I prefer my GameChanger .84p to the S9 I think I’d prefer the .105 plate to the V95 but will likely try them both out eventually.

So far the AX-SE is one of 3 razors that’s given the GameChanger some real competition. My EJ 3one6, AX-SE, and the Rocca I just got had an amazing first shave as well. Runner up to these would be my ATT R1. Still plenty of testing to do and more razors to try. By this time next year I hope to have my favorites down and have a nice rotation going.

Does anyone here have experience with both the DScosmetics AX and Wolfman it (supposedly) is a copy of? I'm trying to figure out how much of a direct copy it is. According to the numbers on the Aliexpress page, the exposure is stated much smaller than what a similar gapped Wolfman would be.

I had originally wanted to try out a WR2 1.55, but the DScosmetics offering is much more tempting as a "try" as it is pretty affordable. I'm just not sure how close an AX 1.55 is to a WR2 1.55 in all aspects of geometry. If someone has shaved with both at the same gap rating, it would be informative to know how similar the shave was.

Does anyone here have experience with both the DScosmetics AX and Wolfman it (supposedly) is a copy of? I'm trying to figure out how much of a direct copy it is. According to the numbers on the Aliexpress page, the exposure is stated much smaller than what a similar gapped Wolfman would be.

I had originally wanted to try out a WR2 1.55, but the DScosmetics offering is much more tempting as a "try" as it is pretty affordable. I'm just not sure how close an AX 1.55 is to a WR2 1.55 in all aspects of geometry. If someone has shaved with both at the same gap rating, it would be informative to know how similar the shave was.

I don't have a WR2 but the 1.55 gap was measured at 0.40 mm exposure which is a massive difference compared to the 0 exposure of the AX.

I had the same thought. Try out the AX and then determine if I want to drop the coin on a Wolfman. Sort of a try before you buy. I have been using the zamac AX that comes with 3 plates. However, if the exposure is not the same, it could well be an unfair test.

I had the same thought. Try out the AX and then determine if I want to drop the coin on a Wolfman. Sort of a try before you buy. I have been using the zamac AX that comes with 3 plates. However, if the exposure is not the same, it could well be an unfair test.

Let's be fair, using the AX is just using the AX, it is not trying a Wolfman. They have some superficial resemblances, but that's as far as it goes.

Can someone take an end-on photo of the 1.55 AX with a blade loaded? That way an estimate of the exposure could be made.

Can someone take an end-on photo of the 1.55 AX with a blade loaded? That way an estimate of the exposure could be made.
I’m not sure whether those photos will be helpful to you. I tried as best as I could. I didn’t have a tripod at hand. This is the AX Ti 1.55 head loaded with a Nacet blade. I’m using a silicone washer on the grip, not sure whether that would affect exposure.

Attachments

• IMG_6866.jpeg
    IMG_6866.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6867.jpeg
    IMG_6867.jpeg
    837.1 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom