What's new

Does anyone switch back and forth to cartridges?

An electric does work, not as close as straight, de or cart. I use an electric just to change things up.

I absolutely agree. Used an electric for years and never really knew what BBS was until I got into wet shaving recently. Cartridges always gave me ingrown hairs but didn't know of, or was afraid of DE's and SR's until recently. Now I really love the routine, and am old enough to have that extra hour each day to enjoy some me time. Shower, shave prep, shave, post shave...

I have mainly been using my OneBlade Core and my EJ DE89 in recent months, but I still use Harry's cartridges on occasion. I find the trimming blade on the Harry's cartridge is really good for getting right under the nose and trimming/straightening sideburns.

I agree completely that using a cartridge is fine. Using an electric is fine.

I’m all for people using what works for them!
I agree 100%, if there was only method for shaving we would all learn to shave with it and get very good at it. When straight razors were the only way to shave, men had to get good at it, and they did.

Yes. I have used carts the majority of my life. I have one DE, a Merkur 33c, that I bought 6 years ago. I bough a box of 100 Astra SP blades, and that's it so far. I used one blade a week. I've only used 75 blades so far in 6 years. I bought a Supply V2 SE a couple of months ago, and have used it only about 5 or 6 times so far.

The majority of my life's shaves have been with Atra or Personna Twin pivot plus Atra/TRACII compatibles. Majority of those on Atra handle.

Other than that, I've used Schick Quattro, Gillette Fusion (the original), and Personna Magnum 5 the most.

In the last several months I've tried lots of others: Personna Caliber 3 and 5, Personna Matrix3, Personna Tri-Flexxx, Schick Hydro 3 and 5 (original versions), Bic Comfort 3 Hybrid, Bic Flex2 Hybrid, Gilltte Sensor2 disposable (formerly Good News, really an Atra disposable), Gillette Sensor3, Schick Xtreme3 disposable, Schick Xtreme2 Disposable (formerly Slim Twin2), Dorco/Barabasol Twin disposable, Dorco Pace 6 disposable, and Cien Twin blade. Some I have used only once or twice. I haven't gotten a bad shave with any of them, but I haven't given them all the longevity test yet.
Some need more passes than others to satisfy me.

The only razor I've had problems with is the Supply. I've never used injectors before. I haven't given it a fair chance yet, nor used it consistently enough.

Of the recent carts, the ones that have impressed me the most are the Dorco 6 disposable and the Schick Xtreme3 disposable, mostly because of a really good one-pass shave with no irritation, and the fact that they were disposables. I've only used each of them about 3 times, though.

The Bic Flex2 Hybrid, too, since I have gotten 8 great shaves on one blade and it is still going strong.

I still like to mix in the Merkur DE when I have time.

Yes. I have used carts the majority of my life. I have one DE, a Merkur 33c, that I bought 6 years ago. I bough a box of 100 Astra SP blades, and that's it so far. I used one blade a week. I've only used 75 blades so far in 6 years. I bought a Supply V2 SE a couple of months ago, and have used it only about 5 or 6 times so far.

The majority of my life's shaves have been with Atra or Personna Twin pivot plus Atra/TRACII compatibles. Majority of those on Atra handle.

Other than that, I've used Schick Quattro, Gillette Fusion (the original), and Personna Magnum 5 the most.

In the last several months I've tried lots of others: Personna Caliber 3 and 5, Personna Matrix3, Personna Tri-Flexxx, Schick Hydro 3 and 5 (original versions), Bic Comfort 3 Hybrid, Bic Flex2 Hybrid, Gilltte Sensor2 disposable (formerly Good News, really an Atra disposable), Gillette Sensor3, Schick Xtreme3 disposable, Schick Xtreme2 Disposable (formerly Slim Twin2), Dorco/Barabasol Twin disposable, Dorco Pace 6 disposable, and Cien Twin blade. Some I have used only once or twice. I haven't gotten a bad shave with any of them, but I haven't given them all the longevity test yet.
Some need more passes than others to satisfy me.

The only razor I've had problems with is the Supply. I've never used injectors before. I haven't given it a fair chance yet, nor used it consistently enough.

Of the recent carts, the ones that have impressed me the most are the Dorco 6 disposable and the Schick Xtreme3 disposable, mostly because of a really good one-pass shave with no irritation, and the fact that they were disposables. I've only used each of them about 3 times, though.

The Bic Flex2 Hybrid, too, since I have gotten 8 great shaves on one blade and it is still going strong.

I still like to mix in the Merkur DE when I have time.
I am new here also, Switching back and forth for me keeps it fresh, good luck.

I do switch back to cartridges. But I prefer something like the Trac II which lets me do DE technique.

I also like the Schick Quattro because it is more on the aggressive side and I have a dense beard

I do switch back to cartridges. But I prefer something like the Trac II which lets me do DE technique.

I also like the Schick Quattro because it is more on the aggressive side and I have a dense beard
I go back and forth, with cartridges I use schick xtreme3 or Quattro. For me schick has sharper and smoother carts than gillette, IMO.

Oh God no! The only reason I would shave with a cart is if I have to travel by air. Since I usually carry on my bags, I take a cart with me. Otherwise, I can't imagine going back to a cart unless my hands are shaking so badly that it becomes dangerous. That day may come for me but hopefully I have a couple decades before that happens, if ever.

I go back and forth, with cartridges I use schick xtreme3 or Quattro. For me schick has sharper and smoother carts than gillette, IMO.
I just got a heavy duty metal and rubber Xtreme3 handle today. I popped off the cart from the disposable and it fits the handle. I will try it on the heavy handle soon.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 9

I tried the Quattro when it first came out because I got a free one in the mail. I stopped using my beloved Atra which I had used almost exclusively my whole shaving life becuse I really liked the Quattro. I think I used it exclusively for about a year or so -- don't remember. But then they made a change to the cart -- not the Titanium version -- some change to the regular version. I think they changed the lubrastrip or rubber guard or something. Suddenly it wasn't shaving close anymore. It was like night and day. I was only doing one WTG pass back then. There was visible stubble left that I couldn't get off. So I stopped using it.

12+ years later -- last week -- I found I had one fresh cart still in the plastic holder. I tried it and it worked fine, even after the first WTG pass. The holder holds 4 carts, so I gave 3 of the newly changed carts a try back then -- so it wasn't that I was using a bad cart. And this time I didn't do any fancy prep or anything -- and I used Barbasol.

Does anyone know the change to Quattro carts besides making a Titanium version?

Oh God no! The only reason I would shave with a cart is if I have to travel by air. Since I usually carry on my bags, I take a cart with me. Otherwise, I can't imagine going back to a cart unless my hands are shaking so badly that it becomes dangerous. That day may come for me but hopefully I have a couple decades before that happens, if ever.
To each their own, cart, de, straight all give me close shaves and to a lesser extent electrics.

I do the same. Althouth the only cart system I use is Trac II. That still qualifies as “vintage”. :)
Yes, today I used a Schick Super II Ultrex non-lubrastrip on a heavy Stainless Steel Schick fixed head handle. I got a great one pass WTG shave. The first time I have ever used a Schick twin blade. I have never used a genuine Trac II Gillette cart, only a Personna Twin Pivot Plus on a Gillette PII handle. I have one PII cart without lubrastrip that came with that handle that I haven't used yet.

I consider it vintage, even though this is the "modern" forum. It's funny because the Trac II came out 49 years ago. Hardly modern, don't you think? :001_smile

I just got a heavy duty metal and rubber Xtreme3 handle today. I popped off the cart from the disposable and it fits the handle. I will try it on the heavy handle soon.
Looks very nice, I bet the heavy handle will make it give a better shave. I use the cartridge handles and buy the refills, for me the disposables feel very light.

Looks very nice, I bet the heavy handle will make it give a better shave. I use the cartridge handles and buy the refills, for me the disposables feel very light.

Yes they are light, but I liked the shave, so I hunted for a heavy handle. Mine is Wilkinson branded. The common ones available now are semi-disposable and look like plastic and rubber from the pics I've seen. Some vendors sell some other ones better than the semi-disposable, but of less quality than what I got.

You do have to press hard to get a close shave with that flexible cart. Once I discovered that, I really liked it. And it gave me no razor burn pushing hard. It's a different shaving experience and I like it for some variety.

It is also known as a Wilkinson Tech3 and Wilkinson Subzero. The refills and handles aren't on the Schick and Wilkinson websites, so I don't know if they are made anymore, but many online vendors sell them. I think to get the best price you have to buy the disposables and pop the cart off. I bought a bunch of the green disposables for this purpose.

Yes they are light, but I liked the shave, so I hunted for a heavy handle. Mine is Wilkinson branded. The common ones available now are semi-disposable and look like plastic and rubber from the pics I've seen. Some vendors sell some other ones better than the semi-disposable, but of less quality than what I got.

You do have to press hard to get a close shave with that flexible cart. Once I discovered that, I really liked it. And it gave me no razor burn pushing hard. It's a different shaving experience and I like it for some variety.

It is also known as a Wilkinson Tech3 and Wilkinson Subzero. The refills and handles aren't on the Schick and Wilkinson websites, so I don't know if they are made anymore, but many online vendors sell them. I think to get the best price you have to buy the disposables and pop the cart off. I bought a bunch of the green disposables for this purpose.

Top Bottom