What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
May have to rewatch with subtitles on. The sound mix made a lot of dialogue hard for me to hear, especially last 7 or 8 minutes.

I walked away with a pretty much neutral impression. The season opener wasn't bad but it also wasn't compelling enough that I'd want to watch it again. There's a lot going on not all of which I understand so I'm hoping that becomes clearer as we see more episodes. The CGI in the opening sequence was a bit lacking and I wondered why there was a mattress conveniently available in the control room of the Tardis for them to awkwardly land on. (You could easily tell they just jumped on the mattress from off screen.) The opening bit was a bit of a clunk for me. It's still pretty early to judge but I think I'm going to like the new companion Dan/John Bishop. I think he's projecting a more likeable character early on than the other recent companions. I already liked the dynamic of the Doctor and one companion better so we'll see how it goes as a trio. The key there will be the chemistry (or lack thereof) between the three going forward. I'm optimistic that it will work better than what seemed like a bloated group of four (The "Fam"- a term I hated.) which is kind of odd since it's only one less person. Again, it'll depend on what they do with them going forward and how they interact with each other and how they integrate with the story. With only 6 episodes, it's going to be a bit compressed and will go fast.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I walked away with a pretty much neutral impression. The season opener wasn't bad but it also wasn't compelling enough that I'd want to watch it again. There's a lot going on not all of which I understand so I'm hoping that becomes clearer as we see more episodes. The CGI in the opening sequence was a bit lacking and I wondered why there was a mattress conveniently available in the control room of the Tardis for them to awkwardly land on. (You could easily tell they just jumped on the mattress from off screen.) The opening bit was a bit of a clunk for me. It's still pretty early to judge but I think I'm going to like the new companion Dan/John Bishop. I think he's projecting a more likeable character early on than the other recent companions. I already liked the dynamic of the Doctor and one companion better so we'll see how it goes as a trio. The key there will be the chemistry (or lack thereof) between the three going forward. I'm optimistic that it will work better than what seemed like a bloated group of four (The "Fam"- a term I hated.) which is kind of odd since it's only one less person. Again, it'll depend on what they do with them going forward and how they interact with each other and how they integrate with the story. With only 6 episodes, it's going to be a bit compressed and will go fast.
I am hoping that we soon lose Yaz into a black hole or something.

I am hoping that we soon lose Yaz into a black hole or something.
That wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. She is kind of annoying. I thought all 3 companions of this Doctor's tenure were ultimately forgettable. I think Amy Pond was the last good companion.

Last edited:
We’ll that was a jumble. Here’s hoping they pull it all together by the end of this 6 episode story arc. Agreed on being able to hear and understand the dialogue, and I did enjoy the CGI space imagery. Felt bad for Pluto.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
We’ll that was a jumble. Here’s hoping they pull it all together by the end of this 6 episode story arc. Agreed on being able to hear and understand the dialogue, and I did enjoy the CGI space imagery. Felt bad for Pluto.
I just watched it last night and I agree completely, it was a jumble. I give it a couple more episodes and if it doesn't get better I'll wait for the next Doc

Is the final era of this Doctor six episodes and a Christmas special? I could sit through that, good or bad. (Though I don't want to dare them by asking, "How bad could it be?" :laugh:)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Okay, I know we see ridiculous things from time to time, but this one is out here. You have 7 billion dogs (each with their individual ship) coming to rescue humans, and they use their ships as a shield to protect the earth from something capable of destroying solar systems

Okay, I know we see ridiculous things from time to time, but this one is out here. You have 7 billion dogs (each with their individual ship) coming to rescue humans, and they use their ships as a shield to protect the earth from something capable of destroying solar systems
:laugh: I was thinking the same thing! Why so many ships? You can't fit more than one dog alien per ship? You can't fit more than one dog alien and one human per ship? And since there were 7 billion alien dogs and ships wouldn't they easily outnumber and be able to overpower the potato head Sontarans just by sheer numbers? As it turns out, it was relatively easy to get them to leave Earth anyway. Or was it the flux the dogs were saving Earth from? They seemed to do that easily enough by making the shield. (Thanks for the quick thinking Doctor.)

Last edited:

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Screenshot 2021-11-09 084754.png

the answer when the story doesn't make sense

I don’t know where they’re going with this. I do enjoy the Sontarans as supremely arrogant foes. The Daleks would mop them up.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have watched the three episodes so far and I am really struggling with it all. Far too much going on for me and the CGI is rubbish.

They stopped airing the show a few years ago where I live. I see y’all talking about changing or messing with the canon of the show. What‘s this then? What are they changing?

I am SO disappointed with this series. It’s like watching gibberish. Chibnall has constructed some six episode arc based on a backstory for the Doctor that did not exist before the last season. What’s more, it’s weaving in the backstory for two characters that did not exist until the beginning of this season.

It’s a total hodgepodge of a story and in the most recent episode was a series of jump cuts to these different backstories, which were generally irrelevant to the overall plot. Someone take away Chibnall’s keys to the car.

Anyone who has read this thread for a period of time knows that I am pretty lenient on the episodes and what the show does. What we’ve seen for the last two Doctors, though, is the effect of lazy (Stage 4 Moffat) and incompetent (Chibnall) showrunning. I don’t think anyone questions the acting chops of Peter or Jodie, but when their characters are set up in bad story arcs or with a seriously misguided companion dynamic, the show really suffers.

Let’s get this over with. Run the last 3 as a binge this Sunday and be done with it. Bring on Russell Davies and his team, pick the new Doc and do the regeneration special. Move on. Life’s too short for bad TV, even if it’s Doctor Who.

/rant off

Oy! Looking ahead I thought we would be done with all this when the holiday special aired. There are going to be 3 specials, the first airing Jan. 1st, 2022, the 2nd in early 2022 and the final special late in 2022.

What the flux were they thinking?

I watched the finale last night and can't say that it made me feel any better about this 6 episode story arc or Chibby and Whittaker's 3 season tenure. There were parts that were pretty painful to watch and overall, this season was a mess. I don't think I really care what's going to happen in the 3 remaining specials. Is there going to be a year's wait after the 3rd special until we see them carry on with the new Doctor?

Top Bottom