What's new

Doctor Who series help

I never watched the show before and just started the new series that started in '05. I'm hooked! I wanted to watch the original series but I'm a little confused. Netflix has "Classic Doctor Who" which is 18 seasons long, each season having about 4 episodes (example, season 1 is The Aztecs episodes 1-4). But the IMBD website shows 26 seasons, and a totally different episode list close to 700 episodes.
Why are they different? How are they related to each other?

Netflix puts each story of the classic series into its own "season" rather than grouping them according to the seasons they were actually broadcast. Their selection of classic Doctor Who is very slim.

I'm like you, I never watched the series until the new series revival. I currently have the first 6 seasons of the new series on DVD but I'd be curious to check out some of the old Doctors.

I loved Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and was sorry to see him go so soon. I would like to have seen more of him but David Tennant was an awesome replacement. Right now I need to watch the Tennant specials as the series transitions to Matt Smith. I just read where he is leaving the series so we will have a new Doctor soon. Pretty soon the Doctor will run out of lives. I think he can regenerate 13 times. Matt Smith was the 11th so the new Doctor will be the 12th.

I think BBC America reruns the newer ones constantly. My wife has DVR'd most of them from the last several years, but it is tough to try to watch them in order.....then again it's a time travel show so maybe watching them in order really isn't necessary.

You can probably find a few old doctor who's on youtube. Many from the beginning are lost forever

For a complete listing of episodes you can look here to help you keep it all in order. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_who_serials

Sadly Netflix does not have a lot of the old stuff. It's a shame really. I grew up watching the Tom Baker episdoes on tv and judge all of the more current doctors based on his doctor.

Pretty soon the Doctor will run out of lives. I think he can regenerate 13 times. Matt Smith was the 11th so the new Doctor will be the 12th.

I've read that the current producers don't feel bound to the belief that there are only 13 regenerations.

My avatar notwithstanding, Jon Pertwee (#3) was my favorite. You can't beat Venusian Aikido.

I've read that the current producers don't feel bound to the belief that there are only 13 regenerations.

My avatar notwithstanding, Jon Pertwee (#3) was my favorite. You can't beat Venusian Aikido.

There is also the thought that when River saved the Doctors life in "Let's Kill Hitler" she gave him all of her remaining regenerations. That would give him another 10 since River had regenerated twice at that point.

As for Netflix, I think they are mostly trying to give an idea of the old series seeing as it is mostly one episode for each incarnation.

I'm also lat to the party and am hooked. My son even loves it. I did hear on the radio that the next doctor may indeed be a ginger, none other than Rupert Grint! as radio rumors go (on XM radio) I'll keep my fingers crossed.

From the Geeks of Doom web site:

"The rumor mill has been running crazy around the world on who the next Doctor will be – from fan circles to tabloid papers. Some of the ‘usual suspects’ have been mentioned, such as Patrick Stewart and Helen Mirren and Benedict Cumberbatch and Rupert Grint; but there’s also been some STRANGE rumors in tabloids suggesting Michael Jackson’s daughter is up for the role. Yes, I laughed at that one as well.

But I don’t think the next Doctor will be played by any of these actors.

So who will be the next Doctor? My money is on Ben Daniels, a 48-year-old British actor with a lot of credits to his name, whose name was unexpectedly surfacing a lot from some reliable sources floating around the Doctor Who rumor circles a few months ago.

As listeners of the TARDISblend will remember, we predict that it will be Ben Daniels or a relatively unknown actor to get the role.

And it might not be long before we find out if we’re right. In news today, a source from the BBC allegedly informed Radio Times that the announcement on who the next Doctor is will come before the Christmas Special begins filming in July.

So stay tuned, Geeks Of Doom: the new Doctor is coming!"

Rupert Grint?
Too young and can't act out of the proverbial paper bag. Blech.

I'd only just gotten used to Matt Smith.....

Love me some Doctor Who. I have the theme song set as my phone's ringtone...which my wife just loves. :glare: I agree that the only way to watch the current run is to start with the 2005 series. Too many nuances and idiosyncrasies of the Doctor's behavior are lost if you start with a more current year.

Pretty soon the Doctor will run out of lives. I think he can regenerate 13 times.
Rule #1: The Doctor lies. :wink2:

sleepy

From the Geeks of Doom web site:

"The rumor mill has been running crazy around the world on who the next Doctor will be – from fan circles to tabloid papers. Some of the ‘usual suspects’ have been mentioned, such as Patrick Stewart and Helen Mirren and Benedict Cumberbatch and Rupert Grint; but there’s also been some STRANGE rumors in tabloids suggesting Michael Jackson’s daughter is up for the role. Yes, I laughed at that one as well.

But I don’t think the next Doctor will be played by any of these actors.

So who will be the next Doctor? My money is on Ben Daniels, a 48-year-old British actor with a lot of credits to his name, whose name was unexpectedly surfacing a lot from some reliable sources floating around the Doctor Who rumor circles a few months ago.

As listeners of the TARDISblend will remember, we predict that it will be Ben Daniels or a relatively unknown actor to get the role.

And it might not be long before we find out if we’re right. In news today, a source from the BBC allegedly informed Radio Times that the announcement on who the next Doctor is will come before the Christmas Special begins filming in July.

So stay tuned, Geeks Of Doom: the new Doctor is coming!"

OK, what was the deal w/ John Hurt in the latest finale?

OK, what was the deal w/ John Hurt in the latest finale?

I've heard that but I haven't read anything about it because I'm trying to limit the spoilers I'm exposed to. I'm trying to watch the new series in order but I've only gotten through the 4th season so far. I started watching the 5th season and was wondering what the heck happened to David Tennant's Doctor and why didn't they show the Doctor's transition when I discovered there were several Tennant specials I had yet to see. I now have the specials on DVD as well as seasons 5 and 6 so I still have a significant amount of catching up to do. I'm waiting for my daughter to finish up with season 4 so we can proceed with the series together.

Just finished the first season. I really miss the 9th doctor. The 10th is gonna take a little getting used to. I can't look at him without seeing Barty Crouch, Jr from the 4th Harry Potter movie.

Just finished the first season. I really miss the 9th doctor. The 10th is gonna take a little getting used to. I can't look at him without seeing Barty Crouch, Jr from the 4th Harry Potter movie.

Did you know that the first scene Tennant appears in Dr. Who is the last scene of the episode "The Parting of the Ways," and that the last scene he appears in Goblet of Fire coincides with the first page of the chapter "The Parting of the Ways."

I believe there were also some filming continuity coincidences, but I can't recall them at the moment.

Just finished the first season. I really miss the 9th doctor. The 10th is gonna take a little getting used to.
Don't worry, it gets better. I felt the same way, and almost stopped watching because I couldn't let go of 9. But 10 will grow on you little by little until you really, really like him.

And then it will be time to switch to 11. :tongue_sm

sleepy

Top Bottom