What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

Ok- on Vampire of Venice, when he shows psychic paper to the Vampire girls (on whom it doesn’t work), he says it’s his library card. Was the picture on it of the original doctor?

Yes sir. One of my favorites, appreciated him even more after watching the documentary about how DR. Who go started.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes sir. One of my favorites, appreciated him even more after watching the documentary about how DR. Who go started.
When I am caught up, I am signing up for BritBox. I want to see how they got to where they are today. I know the effects will be cheesy, but then I like watching the original Star Wars movies over the current ones.

Each Doctor has a few classics that have aged gracefully like the Original trilogy. Also lots of filler and 5 episodes or more per story early on.
The audio stories are excellent after you finish Britbox. There is always more Who.
It's a shame so many episodes of the 2nd doctor are missing, I quite liked him.

Let me know when you finish season 5 of new who. The last two episodes of 5 and first two of season 6 is quintessential Matt Smith.

Last edited:
I do wonder why we never got a regeneration scene from Tennant to Smith.

Did you miss the end of time two parter? David went out on two parter special. So after the season 4 finale you have to watch: the waters of Mars, planet of the dead, and end of time pt 1 and pt 2.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Did you miss the end of time two parter? David went out on two parter special. So after the season 4 finale you have to watch: the waters of Mars, planet of the dead, and end of time pt 1 and pt 2.
On Prime, season 4 ended with Journeys End and the Next Doctor. I saw where he regenerated into his hand, which spawned Doctor Donna and a clone Doctor with one heart, defeated Davros, then put Rose and the clone Doctor in the other universe. Next thing I know, it was Smith and Amy- no explanation how they got there.

On Prime, season 4 ended with Journeys End and the Next Doctor. I saw where he regenerated into his hand, which spawned Doctor Donna and a clone Doctor with one heart, defeated Davros, then put Rose and the clone Doctor in the other universe. Next thing I know, it was Smith and Amy- no explanation how they got there.

Prime should still have those titles i listed when you search. They were specials so they don't really belong in season 4, they were even their own DVD release outside the season sets.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Prime should still have those titles i listed when you search. They were specials so they don't really belong in season 4, they were even their own DVD release outside the season sets.
Found them. Why do they separate the Christmas specials?

Not sure, I used Netflix and they didn't split it. Once Netflix got rid of Who I bought all the seasons and specials. Things like the 50th anniversary and End of Time aired in between seasons and do not belong anywhere. Christmas specials sort of fall under that category too.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not sure, I used Netflix and they didn't split it. Once Netflix got rid of Who I bought all the seasons and specials. Things like the 50th anniversary and End of Time aired in between seasons and do not belong anywhere. Christmas specials sort of fall under that category too.
Saw the first part of End of Time today. Where does the 50th fall on the timeline?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Saw the first part of End of Time today. Where does the 50th fall on the timeline?
I just realized I missed Planet of the Dead. Oh well, part 2 of End of Time is going to come first. It will be out of what time wise, but then, that shouldn't be odd for this show :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and thanks to all for your patience with me as I get caught up. I should be up to speed soon (as least as far as the modern Who goes).

This comes across a lot worse than you probably intend it.

Yeah, maybe - I'm prone to writing "you" when I could write someone/they/one - I'm just too lazy to work out the grammatical shifts. Just because English is my first (and only) language doesn't mean I'm any good at it :lol1:

However, I stand by the sentiment - it's unlikely we will ever get a more perfect storm of peak-Who behind and in front of the camera. There is probably no writer around at the moment that loves Doctor Who like Moffat does - he's still behind Douglas Adams, but then Adams went and selfishly died, so no dice there.

If you want to see that, you should watch the excellent "Coupling" - it's packed full of Doctor Who references. Moffat's had his highs and lows, sure - but then haven't we all *stares hard at Colin Baker*

Capaldi is much the same - he's loved the show all his life. You've only got to look at his letter to Doctor Who magazine as a 15 year old, or the letter he sent to an 8 year old fan when he announced he was leaving. He was asked to audition for 8, but couldn't face being rejected from a show he adored; Moffat wanted him for 11, but they couldn't line up shooting schedules.

Capaldi's tenure has been a love letter to all the things that make Doctor Who such a wonderful program - it's funny, scary, sad but hopeful - the 12th Doctor is a fantastic bundle of snarling condescension, sparkling wit, grim determination and repressed anger wrapped around a core of pure goodness - the drive to chase down a mystery because it's mysterious, and to do whatever it takes to protect people, no matter how small or unimportant they may be on a cosmic scale.

If you want an example of Doctor Who as a whole, you will do no better than 12.

As such...

(I'm going to try really hard here, expect bad grammar)

If someone cannot find any Capaldi episode to love, regardless of how they feel about Moffat/Capaldi, they don't like the principles of Doctor Who - they may love the entire run of Tennant/Ecclestone/Smith, but those doctors do not adequately represent all the history that has gone before them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it is in no way compulsory to enjoy all of something to enjoy part of something - but - complaining about the changes of tone/attitude/stuff as a representation of the whole is to miss out on the joy of this deranged little TV show.

"If you don't like all the things about the show, and/or you don't think just like me about the show, you're not a 'real fan' like me."

Literally never said that. At all. To say you accused me of a creating a "straw man", you got your own scarecrow built pretty quickly there :wink1:

Trust me, on a Doctor Who nerd scale, I'm maybe a 6/10? My mate is probably a 14. I'm not a "real fan", but I am absolutely a fan.

I want to believe that the underlying intention behind the statements wasn't the condescending arrogance that came across, really I do.

It's the English accent, we all sound like that :lol1:

Give us your "Big Finish" version of this where you actually respect our opinions as people who are just as interested in the show as you even though we also find things to criticise about it.

Trust me, I've suffered through the lows; whether it was Colin Baker *stares harder at Colin Baker*, farting aliens, monsters made of fat, David Tennant looking into the distance and muttering "the Time War", Rose and the Doctor, 10's 17 hour leaving special (felt like it, whatever). Hell, even the Doctors I love have some ropey-as-f episodes - Robot of Sherwood and Curse of the Black Spot leap straight to mind.

But I got through them because bad Doctor Who is still better than most other guff on TV - plus I know it will all change again. That's the real joy and I think that's what some people (nailed it) are missing.

If Chibnall turns out to be another Russell T Davies with a happy, smiley, friendly Doctor (seems like a good chance) I'll suck it up and enjoy the ride anyway. Just remember I did when someone like Gattiss, Pemberton or Gaiman takes over in 10 years time and let me have a dark, mean, moody Doctor for a bit :wink1:

And from that you made the leap that I couldn't find a single Capaldi episode to love. That's not what I said (there or elsewhere), that's not my opinon of the Capaldi years at all, and it's a gross exaggeration in order to create the straw man of your own imagination.

If I have besmirched your good name sir, I truly apologise. I did go some way back in posts and didn't see any positives for any Capaldi from you, I probably just missed it or didn't go far enough back.

But then you didn't watch all of Doctor Who, so call it quits?
001_tongue.gif
:lol1: (sorry, I couldn't resist - I'm just ragging on you man)

Doc, if you want shoot the manure about stuff you love in Doctor Who, I'd love to hear it. Unless it's to ship the Doctor and Rose, I cannot get on board with that :nono: :lol1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
it's unlikely we will ever get a more perfect storm of peak-Who behind and in front of the camera. There is probably no writer around at the moment that loves Doctor Who like Moffat does

Love for something, and skill at producing the finest example of that thing, are two different things. Ultimately, both Moffatt and Capaldi (and all the others for that matter) need to be judged in terms of the latter. Nobody gets a "pass" for mediocre work just for being "the number one super-fan" of the show.

Capaldi is much the same - he's loved the show all his life.

ditto.

If someone cannot find any Capaldi episode to love, regardless of how they feel about Moffat/Capaldi, they don't like the principles of Doctor Who - they may love the entire run of Tennant/Ecclestone/Smith, but those doctors do not adequately represent all the history that has gone before them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it is in no way compulsory to enjoy all of something to enjoy part of something - but - complaining about the changes of tone/attitude/stuff as a representation of the whole is to miss out on the joy of this deranged little TV show.

Every Doctor has brought his own "feeling" to the show, and played the Doctor in his own way. Sometimes, directors and producers have had influence there too. Sometimes, even within a Doctor's run, there have been different approaches. I'll suggest that the first four doctors basically staked out the ground on which the Doctor could reliably find the different elements of his character, and each subsequent Doctor has taken his own interpretation within that ground ... and attempts to stray from the established ground has tended to be unsuccessful. On the other hand, those Doctors who tried too hard to mimic one of the "early four" haven't fared well in the reception of that aspect of their character. The subsequent doctors have to be both unique and within the established character bounds previously set.

Individual fans, of course, are free to have their own preferences as to which parts of the "established character ground" they most prefer and which parts they most dislike.

If someone dislikes the "core character ground" in general or at least most of it, and still claims to be a fan of the show, then one can certainly question his understanding of the true nature of the show. One can certainly have preferences within that core ground, bits one likes a lot more than other bits. And one can, I think, have a positive or negative opinion of a given Doctor's ability to both stay true to, and reinterpret, that core ground.

Literally never said that. At all. To say you accused me of a creating a "straw man", you got your own scarecrow built pretty quickly there

Not a direct quote, but a precis of how you were coming across. I think your most recent post has helped to ameliorate that.

It's the English accent, we all sound like that

My forefathers were Scottish, so I'll agree with you there.

I did go some way back in posts and didn't see any positives for any Capaldi from you, I probably just missed it or didn't go far enough back.

On the whole, I really like Capaldi's Doctor. I have mixed feelings about his run as the Doctor, mostly due to what I'd call missed opportunities to really let Capaldi go to town. Having a goodly chunk of it devolve into "Clara and Danny stumble through a romance, and occasionally the Doctor shows up and gets in the way with a space adventure" annoyed me. I disliked the whole "he's an alien so doesn't understand human emotions" thing that got way overplayed like he was Sherlock Holmes reading off "emotion cards" ... and isn't it clever of Moffatt to remind us he does both shows (no).

Ask me to compliment "Kill the Moon" and "In the Forest of the Night" and ... um ... well ... the makeup department did a nice job on Capaldi's hair. But then we get "Mummy on the Orient Express", and all is forgiven. And "Flatline" is an example of a "Clara-centric story" that actually works (as opposed to a "Danny Pink episode".)

But then you didn't watch all of Doctor Who, so call it quits?

I haven't seen Shada yet, or the partially-animated reconstructions of Hartnell & Troughton stories that have surfaced recently, but ... everything else ... yes, I've seen it.

proxy.php

Top Bottom