What's new

Do you use a Gillette vintage as your daily driver? Also thoughts on doing a PIF

When I choose to shave every day, I use a slim on setting one. My skin needs at least two or more days for me to pull out an aggressive razor.

I need a another shave after shaving with either my Fat-Boy or Slim on 1! - I know the gaps are actually wider than say a Progress on 1, but they're so mild, that setting 1 is basically only good for cleaning up the final fuzz left after a couple of passes under the nose for me.

Another vote for the NEW SC. I've got many razors, both new design artisan and vintage Gillette. Charcoal Goods level 2 and the NEW SC are basically interchangeable and give me the most comfortable and efficient shaves of any of them. Pesonna in the Charcoal Goods and Feather in the NEW SC.

All 3 of my razors are vintage Gillettes, the '62 Slim Adjustable, the '56 Red Tip, and the '53 Super Speed. Of them all, I'm getting to prefer the Red Tip. It's not that it shaves THAT much better than the others. But I like the weight of it in my hand, and the red trim, and that jewelry-like knurling on the handle. By esthetics alone, it's a winner. (Of course, once I have my Slim replated, I might change my mind --)

I know a Fatboy is in my future, though.

All 3 of my razors are vintage Gillettes, the '62 Slim Adjustable, the '56 Red Tip, and the '53 Super Speed. Of them all, I'm getting to prefer the Red Tip. It's not that it shaves THAT much better than the others. But I like the weight of it in my hand, and the red trim, and that jewelry-like knurling on the handle. By esthetics alone, it's a winner. (Of course, once I have my Slim replated, I might change my mind --)

I know a Fatboy is in my future, though.

Yes they are classics in every sense. Congrats :)

At home I use vintage DE (and SE) razors about 99% of the time. May try one of my modern razors now and then.

I use modern razors during travel, as they are easy to replace if lost, or damaged.

I only use vintage Gillettes. Right now I have a ‘68 Super Speed (birth year and quarter) that I bought to learn with and an absolutely mint ‘46-‘47 Aristocrat that I rescued on its way to a dumpster. The SS is a good razor that gives a great shave, but the Aristocrat is amazing! It’s easily the best razor I’ve ever used. It’s in such good condition, though, that I might preserve it as a collectible and get a ‘50’s flair tip Super Speed for a daily driver if I come across a deal.

Love vintage but no, no Gillettes are among my favorites. I find German (Apollo, Merkur), French (Gibbs, Leresche) and other American DE razors (Shake Sharp, Cooper) simply give me better shaves, as do my Gem/Ever Ready SE and Schick injectors. I do keep some Tech, Old Type, and New Improved in the rotation but I wouldn't want any of them as my only go-to.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My top three are a black-handled Super-speed (35%), a Canadian Pre-War Fat-handle Tech (20%), and a Slim(20%).
The remainder are new and vintage open combs, like the Razorock OLD Type (10%), Fendrihan Scientist (MkI), and a Gillette LC NEW.

If I was to go looking for yet another razor, it would probably be a Red Tip Super-speed.
Or a Super Adjustable 109, which is what I started with decades ago, but have lost track of.

Lately I've been reaching for these:

Vintage Old Type on Ikon Bulldog handle
Vintage Slim Adjustable (H3) on 7
Schone Open Comb

I only use vintage Gillettes. Right now I have a ‘68 Super Speed (birth year and quarter) that I bought to learn with and an absolutely mint ‘46-‘47 Aristocrat that I rescued on its way to a dumpster. The SS is a good razor that gives a great shave, but the Aristocrat is amazing! It’s easily the best razor I’ve ever used. It’s in such good condition, though, that I might preserve it as a collectible and get a ‘50’s flair tip Super Speed for a daily driver if I come across a deal.

50s Flare Tips are easy to find. Lots of nice ones at good prices.

Every day I use a vintage Gillette razor. One of the following three:
D1/1958 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed
I2/1963 Gillette Slim
M1/1967 Gillette Black Handle Super Speed

Right now and through the end of February I expect to be using the Slim. The D1 is my birth year/quarter razor.

I only own one non Gillette DE and it might be my worst performing DE. So depending on beard growth I usually choose between my top four Gillettes:

Y1 Gillette President / A2 Diplomat (I consider the shaves to be basically the same though I prefer the President)
A1 Flare-tip SS
B1 Red Tip SS

I prefer the mild flare-tip SS when I need to shave everyday. It doesn't give me a BBS shave but it gets the job done with little irritation.

90% Gillettes for me: I have most or all solid bar models as they are my preference. Currently these see most use: Rockets, Techs, my lovely 1941 Ranger Tech.

But more and more non-Gillettes are creeping in since the last couple of months: Eclipse RR, Shavex, Apollo, Merkur 11 and 34. Currently breaking in a Gibbs #17.

Always vintage, maybe every 2 months I take out my only modern DE: the AS-D2.

Too bad you can only shave once a day!

Gillette vintage every day for me.
2 NEW LCs, old ball handle and common bar handle
NEW SC
Fat handle post war NDC Tech
1957 (C1) Ball handle Tech
1957 (C4) flare tip Superspeed (birth quarter)
1959 (E4) Fatboy
1962 (H2) Slim
1962 (H2) Travel Tech (when away from home)

I also use vintage Gillettes. In my order of preference are:
1. 59 Fatboy (it was my grandfathers and is my daily driver)
2. Slim Adjustable
3. 46 Milord
4. 69 Black Handled Flare Tip.

Top Bottom