What's new

A lurker joins the forum

Hello to all. My name is Tardy, and I am a razorholic.

I haven't always been a razorholic, my addiction is pretty recent. But I've been quite busy. I think I've read about 80% of the entire content of this site :biggrin1:, and the knowledge and informed opinions that I've found here have been a great help to me (and somewhat damaging to my wallet).

I'm in my 60s. I started shaving right about the same time Gillette introduced the Trac II cartridge razor. My first months of shaving were with an old Gillette Tech that I appropriated from my father. In less than a year, I "progressed" to the Trac II, and continued to use cartridge razors and disposables up until about 10 months ago. I had considered making the switch back to DE razors several times over the last decade or so, but this time I actually dove in and did it. After a *lot* of reading here on Badger & Blade, I decided that since vintage Gillette Techs were so highly thought of by so many, and since I didn't remember having any issues when I used a Tech all those many years ago, I'd buy a Tech.

My first shave with it was extraordinary. I took my time and did 3 careful passes, and was rewarded with the best, closest shave I'd had in decades. Probably my best shave ever, period.

So now, 10 months later, I have, er...42 razors. A few Techs (prewar, postwar, and 70s), a couple of Super Speeds, a Fatboy, a Slim, a Super Adjustable, 2 Old Types, a New LC, 2 Star Model 100s, some injectors (Schicks and Pals), a few Gem blade razors (Gem and Ever-Ready)...

My favorites are the Pal Injecto-Matics, the Schick Type E2 and Type I2 Hydro-Magic, the Ever-Ready Model 1924 "Shovelhead" and the Gillette Old Types. Of course I also love my Techs and Gillette adjustables.

I've been having so much fun with vintage razors that I haven't really started buying modern razors yet (well, I do have several Yaqi and DScosmetic razors).

I'm thinking I might just fit in here 😆.

Welcome. 42 razors in 10 months is impressive RAD but reading 80% of this site might push the human brain past its design limit. I'm too young to understand why people who shaved with safety razors ever thought moving on to cartridge razors was a good idea. I guess the power of advertising and plastic was a material of the future before the downsides were better understood. Gillette got me at 18 sending me a free Mach 3. Before that I had been using a battery powered Philishave.

why people who shaved with safety razors ever thought moving on to cartridge razors was a good idea. I guess the power of advertising and plastic was a material of the future before the downsides were better understood.
Advertising can be a strong persuader, and for the early cartridge razors it certainly was. That Trac II was so futuristic! You just knew it was going to be light years better than the old outdated ways. And it did feel different on the face.

The Trac II came out when I had just started shaving, so my whiskers were still light and wispy. It seemed to do a fine job, and felt so smooth doing it. As I aged and my whiskers got coarser, it wasn't doing as good a job any more but hey, look, they just released a new higher-tech cartridge razor, ooooh this one has 3 blades, let's try that! Rinse and repeat.

Once you had a generation that had grown up using cartridge razors, that's how their kids started shaving, and the old DE razors were forgotten or at best remembered as relics.

Top Bottom