What's new

Do you use a Gillette vintage as your daily driver? Also thoughts on doing a PIF

I am falling in love with vintage Gillette razors. The fatboy is beautiful, the red tipped superspeed is beautiful. Both are gentle, work really nicely and get me BBS in 2.5 passes. The fatboy opened all the way up doesn't actually seem too aggressive, but now I feel a compulsion to go find 2 near mint razors (fatboy and red tip...that would be a cool podcast name to talk about shaving, fatboy and red tip...)

Anyway, I love these things.

I got a Gillette Tech, a Fatboy and a Red Tip Superspeed....what else do I need?

Also I just won a couple of auctions for Schick Super II International Silver editions thinking they were injectors. They are not injectors, they are trak ii cartridge razors. That said, I am thinking of using them for my first PIF :) How do you do that?

Very nice! May I suggest a Gillette NEW? The open comb Gillettes are great shavers too.

Edit: Been using a gold ball end Tech as my go to DE for awhile now, but I love the super speeds too!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Gillette NEWs are simply The best Razors I have ever used

$IMG_2077.jpg

Outside of the occasional shave with my krona or MTO, gillettes are all I use. 2 40s style superspeeds, 1 flairtip, 1 super adjustable, 1 fatboy, 1 ball end tech, and 1 old style. The super adjustable has been my work horse, I love that razor. Using the fatboy all of February.
I think there is a sticky on PIFs in the newbie check in page.

Oh, this thread is for me. I found a '57 Gillette Super Speed at an antique store for $5 in November 2011. That started my journey. I was all vintage Gillette for about 2-3 years and then picked up a GEM and Schick SE but they are mostly for collection and the occasional shave. So yes, vintage Gillettes including 2 NEWs, 2 Techs, 4 Super Speeds and 2 adjustables are pretty much my daily drivers. I picked up two FaTips in the last year or so and I like those but a Gillette gets the morning call 90% of the time.

I use a G2 Gillette Adjustable Super Speed for a daily driver though the Super Speed I inherited from my mom is a rgeat one that shoes up from time to time. I keep my merkur 180 at my gf's place.

I definitely went through a vintage Gillette phase where they were my daily drivers. I'm in more of a modern phase now, but I may still visit the old Gillettes from time to time.

I've ben wet shaving for 5 months now and had a bit of a bout of RAD. Bottom line- with one exception my daily drivers are all vintage Gillettes (the one exception is a Schick Injector). My collection is as follows:

1. Thin cap 20's Old Type
2. Thick cap 20's Old Type
3. Standard 160 Goodwill (New LC- based)
4. Pre-war Fat Handle Tech
5. 48-49 Milord (SuperSpeed in gold)
6. G3 Aristocrat Adjustable (gold Slim Adjustable)
7. J3 SuperSpeed
8. U1 Super-109

Plus another Slim which I'm planning on PIFing soon.

I have a rocket flair tip, a slim, a blue flair tip ss but my favourite right now is my Aristocrat Jr. It just seems so much more solidly built than all the others. From the thicker base plate on the head to the closed knob used to twist to open.

From what I seem to gather the Fatboy is considered one of the best vintage gillette adjustables, the red tip is one of the best flair tips, I would say you are missing an Aristocrat Jr. or perhaps a Rocket HD (which I don't have).

All my daily drivers are vintage. I love my Red Tip and feel the same as you about a wide open Fatboy, not scary at all just a great shaver. I think you should try an OLD and a NEW. If you want to step over to the SE side a 1912 is great.

I was devoted to my Mergress as a daily driver (with gusts of Futur and Vision). But of late, I have been gravitating to the vintage Gillettes. Love my 1930's New, and I'm using the FatBoy and Black Beauty regularly. The rest of my rotation is an Ikon 101 and an RR Stealth Slant.

I only have two right now, a 61 Fatboy and a 61 Slim Adjustable right now, but I want to get a birth year and quarter Super Adjustable and maybe a New.

I've got a wooden rack built to hold a dozen test tubes, repurposed to hold a dozen razors, of which three are vintage Gillettes. The one I use the most is a bakelite 3 piece. I tend to favor the old bakelite razors in general, as I have the impression that this material grips the blade a bit tighter and more securely, and gives much less chance of razor burn.

Until my ATT arrives my '59 Fatboy is my daily driver. I also have a '55 British Aristocrat that I like a lot.

But once that ATT hits my doorstep, the Gillettes may have to take a break...

Top Bottom