What's new

Do you shave everyday?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If I give it 3 days growth, I am stellar, but anything less than that and my skin ends up with such bad irritation, and what appear to be small knicks

My lather is good, blades are good, technique is pretty solid, but no matter what I do or try, I simply cannot shave every day. I have resorted to shaving at night sometimes so my skin can calm a bit between days where I HAVE to, but...has anyone else encountered this? If I just push it, will my skin adjust?

Thanks, as always!!
I've never seen you shave, so this is an educated guess from the information given. Weepers (small nicks) are the result of a moment of bad technique. It's very possible (probable?) that you have not found the best combination of skin/blade/razor/technique, and poor combinations make it much easier to produce weepers - but I strongly suspect some of that is on you.

The two culprits are almost always razor angle and pressure. Very easy to use less pressure. Razor angle may take a little experimenting. Or you may find that a less aggressive razor and/or more forgiving blade will solve much of the problem.

In the short run you can certainly cut down on the number of passes (you're going to work two days a week with no shave at all now). You might even start with one or two WTG passes and call it a day.

The only thing I can promise with absolute certainty: if you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll keep getting what you've been getting. You may need to lower your expectation for each shave for a time, but I'm sure a one pass WTG shave will present better than three day's growth.

Good luck with your experimenting.

Typically every other day, now that I am no longer a wage slave. One of the relatively few advantages of aging is that white whiskers are less visible. But can go daily for special occasions without irritation - mild razor (usually a Tech) and blades (GSB), good cream (Proraso) and maybe most importantly, not overdoing it in pursuit of perfection.

Last edited:
I typically shave every day. 90% of my shaves are with SR. I like to have some variety in my rotation.
I will not encourage you to buy new gear, but have you considered trying the Blackland Vector SE? I do not know why, but with this particular razor i could probably shave twice a day without any irritation. Maybe it is the blades.
I do not shave in the shower, but if i did, this would by my choice. A mindless shave with grate results.

A DE razor is more ore less a mediocre blade on a stick no matter how you clamp it, bend it or guard it.
A mild razor can be just as harsh on the skin as an efficient one in the wrong hands.

With the right technique your should be able to shave every day.

Last edited:
I could but depending on the previous shave there's not likely to be much worth shaving. I'd rather wait at least 36 hours to make it worth my while.

Every day even in the weekends. Might switch to night shaving when I find the right missus again.

Recommend finding a mild but efficient razor with a good angle locked in head like the Henson al13 mild and feeding that puppy something like a Gillette platinum.

Using a paa pre shave soap cube helps too. Especially in combination with a scrub spongue.
Hyaleronic acid helps too.

And most important stop chasing bbs a dfs is just dandy

Yes I shave every day, but that’s only been since lockdown, which strangely coincided with starting a job in healthcare. Prior to this I would only have shaved for work or going out in the evening. Now, because I have to wear a fitted mask most of the day shaving is essential to ensure a close fit. Even on my off-days I shave because if I happen to go shopping or out to the cinema I will have to wear a standard face mask, which is insanely itchy if I have more than 10-12 hours of stubble.

In response to your predicament re sensitive skin and shaving, I would echo what others have said in terms of using less aggressive products. For example I could use a feather blade in a merkur futur or progress turned down to setting 1 or 2. Or a 1904 open comb with a Voskhod blade is great for a quick shave with no nicks. In terms of lather something very slick such as cremo or Harry’s (applied brushless) eliminates any irritation that may come from using a brush on a daily basis.

Edit: you could do the opposite of above and use an aggressive razor such as the R41 with any blade. One WTG pass is generally all I need to achieve a shave that gets me through a working day (8-13 hours).

Hope this helps,

R.

Last edited:
Every other day or so for me. I found I got too much irritation from shaving every day. Luckily, I work in a trade where clean shaven is the unprofessional look.

Every day for 48 years. Last 10 with good quality DE blades and razors, w occasional single edge forays. Have not got the nerve for straight razors, yet. Last five years have been using my own preshave oils and aftershave creations. Did the Harry’s and Gillette thing in school and most of my career: just didn’t think I had the time for good preshave routine, but actually enjoy taking the time to do it after I got some basics down, mostly thanks to this site.

I am a daily shaver. My skin tends toward being dry and sensitive. There appears to be lot of folks here who prefer aggressive razors and blades. I for one go with a less aggressive razor with a sharp blade tossing it after 3 shaves. I do 2 passes and don't chase the proverbial BBS feel. Works for me.

For years, every morning I shaved both my face and my head before going to work. Now that I'm retired I usually shave every other day and about once a month give myself an old fashion crew cut with electric clippers.

Everyday unless there’s a very good reason not to. I’d probably miss about five days a year now. Only possible after switching to SR.

I shave everyday but I swap between Shaving my head and Shaving my neck. So 48 hours pass between shaves of each region but I space it out to have it daily

Nope. Slow grower here. There would be no point in a daily shave (if not for pleasure in the gesture... but now I'm 40 and I don't do anything anymore for pure pleasure in the gesture).

I used to shave (cartridges, shaving foam) every weekday, whilst I was going into an office every day. What a chore that was.

In lockdown, whilst searching for an environmentally friendly cartridge alternative, I discovered DE shaving and now shave two or usually three times a week, and it is something I really enjoy now. I'm not sure I would want to shave every day again tbh.

Top Bottom