What's new

Do you shave everyday?

Hey all! I have found so much insight from this group over my wet shaving journey, thought I would bring up something that has been plaguing me for a while...I CANNOT shave everyday without destroying my skin. If I give it 3 days growth, I am stellar, but anything less than that and my skin ends up with such bad irritation, and what appear to be small knicks that, in the profession I am in, I would rather look unprofessional with 3 days growth, than unprofessional and like a 3 yr old learning to shave.

My lather is good, blades are good, technique is pretty solid, but no matter what I do or try, I simply cannot shave every day. I have resorted to shaving at night sometimes so my skin can calm a bit between days where I HAVE to, but...has anyone else encountered this? If I just push it, will my skin adjust?

Thanks, as always!!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Yes, every day

Sorry, but I have some questions

Is your skin normally sensitive?
How long have you been DE shaving?
What blades do you use?
Have you tried others?
What razor do you use?
Have you tried others?
What soap do you use?
Have you tried others?
How do you know your technique is OK? (Not criticizing, just asking)
How many passes do you do?
Have you tried just doing one pass?
Have you mapped the direction of your beard growth?

Sorry to bother you but to be of any help we need some more information

Yes, every day

Sorry, but I have some questions

Is your skin normally sensitive? Yes, it seems to be
How long have you been DE shaving? Maybe 5 years.
What blades do you use? Feathers seemed "too sharp", Merkur's too dull, and use Astra SP
Have you tried others? Yes, but am open to others.
What razor do you use? Mercer 23c. I tried a slant from Holy Black, and a Gillette Super Something (will look it up), but have big hands and seem to need a long handle.
Have you tried others? Yes.
What soap do you use? Stirling, Barrister and Mann, or Wet Shaving Products
Have you tried others? Yup!
How do you know your technique is OK? (Not criticizing, just asking). Watched videos ad nauseam, as well as having my brother watch my shave. (he got me into it.)
How many passes do you do? Two usually, but a 3rd would help to get BBS
Have you tried just doing one pass? Yes, but various places end up "stubbly" still
Have you mapped the direction of your beard growth? Yes, and try to shave with it, then against it as recommended.

Sorry to bother you but to be of any help we need some more information

No bother at all! SO appreciated, as I'd like to be able to shave daily. Thanks!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
If you are getting nicked, there must be a cause. First suspect would be technique. Next, in no particular order, would be blade selection, prep, or lather quality. So what is your routine, and what do you use?

I have been shaving every day for nearly sixty years. I prep with hot water, lather, shave, shower, and put on aftershave. The very rare nick is usually because I got an unfriendly blade, used one too long, or went too fast, especially when sliding. Irritation is not an issue, but when I started it was a minor problem. A blade change fixed it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For the past two years since I started SR shaving, I have been shaving daily and twice a day if I have an evening engagement (any excuse for a shave).

Once your SR shaving technique is developed, SR shaving gives you no irritation or skin damage. Many are too scarred to start or won't commit to the 30 (about) days of daily SR shaving to develop their technique.

I shave every day and have done so for about 43 years.
When I didn’t know how to shave, I experienced redness and irritation.

Since switching to traditional wet shaving and through lots of experimenting, those issues are solved for me. But, it took patience, unlearning bad habits (example: pressure), and experimentation.

I would recommend looking at the questions posed by @Mike M and see if there are some easily identifiable issues.

I’ll also add, that if you do not “need” to shave every day, then chasing the goal of every day shaving might be counterproductive to enjoying your shave.

Best of luck and let us know if there are certain aspects that you have questions about.

Try a less aggressive razor. While it may yield a slightly less close shave you will be able to do it everyday. It is hard to know what a step down in agression would be for you but for me I can shave with my Merkur 1904/15c open comb daily and be fine. If I used my Gillette RFB daily I would have ingrowns galore. There is just a lot more blade exposure so that one is for summer or work breaks. Anyway, the 1904/15c (they have the same head) actually have negative blade exposure so it is a perfect choice for daily with no nics cuts or fussing, even when in a rush or half asleep. It needs a sharper blade like a Feather or Gillette Yellow but I find it a beauty. I hope that helps, JM

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
No bother at all! SO appreciated, as I'd like to be able to shave daily. Thanks!
OK
Choice of soap seems good but if your skin is sensitive you may need to check ingredient lists to make sure there is nothing to cause patches of irritation.
If it is actual cuts you are getting that is down to technique, blade choice, or razor choice. For technique you need to apply no pressure, just let the weight of the razor apply the pressure. Use short slow strokes again not applying pressure. Try doing just 1 pass for a while until you can do it without irritation and then throw in a second pass, you don't need to chase a BBS just yet.
Your razor is not aggressive, but one of the least aggressive razors I have found is the King C Gillette, I find it next to impossible to cut myself.
Another area to look at would be prep, use a face wash with hot water to soften your beard, you may want to try a preshave like Proraso (again avoiding ingredients that may cause your sensitive skin to flare up). Try using Witch hazel after shaving to calm any irritation and always moisturise after shaving particularly in the winter, your face will thank you for it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey all! I have found so much insight from this group over my wet shaving journey, thought I would bring up something that has been plaguing me for a while...I CANNOT shave everyday without destroying my skin. If I give it 3 days growth, I am stellar, but anything less than that and my skin ends up with such bad irritation, and what appear to be small knicks that, in the profession I am in, I would rather look unprofessional with 3 days growth, than unprofessional and like a 3 yr old learning to shave.

My lather is good, blades are good, technique is pretty solid, but no matter what I do or try, I simply cannot shave every day. I have resorted to shaving at night sometimes so my skin can calm a bit between days where I HAVE to, but...has anyone else encountered this? If I just push it, will my skin adjust?

Thanks, as always!!
I shave every day and have for many years. No problems.

Yes I do shave daily and love it

I was like you could not shave every day and why I got into DE only been a year my face and skin has never been better at 58yr old :)

ditto others it very well could be you do not have the correct blades or razor or soaps yet and might say that is the case UNLESS you truly have some skin issues that need to be addressed like daily care outside of shaving and so on ?

Bottom line you have to try a few you might get lucky and get a winner first hand but without trying others you wont know ? That goes for the soap the blades and the razor

I thought being a minimalist person but also having to use something enough to know its good I could figure this out in 6 months WRONG for me :)
I am still on the hunt :) but could be happy but am finding small differences I like or want

Give this time do not give up but IMHO you are most likely going to have to try a few setups to really know as I again was like you and did find setups easy and comfy to use every day
I have some I can not and plan on just selling or trading those out s they are not for me but others love them
Rex Ambassador as one I have and can not use it above 2 :) and do not enjoy using it really ? hahahaha but others use it on 6 and love it ?
But I tried it and know ! So NEXT :)

IMHO the investment to try a bunch and get a super shave is so so so so worth it for the comfort of something we do often some daily some less and will most likely do our whole life ! Comparing that to say the cost of a modern phone or whatever ! again think marathon not sprint :)

Top Bottom