What's new

Do you shave everyday?

Nah. Never had a job that required it, so didn't bother. With carts, I would usually only shave on weekends. In winter, I often went from Labor to Memorial Day without shaving. When I switched to DE, a year before retiring, I began shaving every other day...until Covid. Unvaccinated and rarely leaving the house, except for groceries or gin, I now shave about every 5 days.

Hey all! I have found so much insight from this group over my wet shaving journey, thought I would bring up something that has been plaguing me for a while...I CANNOT shave everyday without destroying my skin. If I give it 3 days growth, I am stellar, but anything less than that and my skin ends up with such bad irritation, and what appear to be small knicks that, in the profession I am in, I would rather look unprofessional with 3 days growth, than unprofessional and like a 3 yr old learning to shave.

My lather is good, blades are good, technique is pretty solid, but no matter what I do or try, I simply cannot shave every day. I have resorted to shaving at night sometimes so my skin can calm a bit between days where I HAVE to, but...has anyone else encountered this? If I just push it, will my skin adjust?

Thanks, as always!!
I would get a Van Der Hagen razor, and put in a Wilkinson Sword blade(Germany), or a Gillette Platinum blade, and try using that, as the VDH will keep the blade further from your face. I started with a VDH for quite a few years, just now switching to a more aggressive razor(Parker 91R). When I started DE shaving, my face would get a little "warm", even after one pass WTG. Now that my technique is much more accomplished, using a more aggressive super heavy razor, it still is one pass WTG, on average 6 days a week.

I’ll also add, that if you do not “need” to shave every day, then chasing the goal of every day shaving might be counterproductive to enjoying your shave.
This is a good point, I don’t see the point in shaving when there’s nothing to shave. Often I get a close enough shave that I really need to shave for a couple days.

I suppose part of that is my age, I think there’s a natural slow down in beard growth with age. That and we’re all different and beard growth differs from person to person.

Reactions: GNR
Yep daily... not because I have to but to *avoid* irritation. With my wiry fast growing beard its easier on my sensitive skin to use a mild razor and sharp blade that takes off a bit at a time instead of twice as much. Agree with the others... if your drawing blood then use a less aggressive razor. Witch Hazel has helped me as well.

I most certainly do not.
Every other day shaving gives me two different looks.
This is according to my wife and since she's the one looking at it every day, she has a say in it.
Day one: sophisticated sharp looking.
Day two: Polish Football hooligan.

Hey all! I have found so much insight from this group over my wet shaving journey, thought I would bring up something that has been plaguing me for a while...I CANNOT shave everyday without destroying my skin. If I give it 3 days growth, I am stellar, but anything less than that and my skin ends up with such bad irritation, and what appear to be small knicks that, in the profession I am in, I would rather look unprofessional with 3 days growth, than unprofessional and like a 3 yr old learning to shave.

My lather is good, blades are good, technique is pretty solid, but no matter what I do or try, I simply cannot shave every day. I have resorted to shaving at night sometimes so my skin can calm a bit between days where I HAVE to, but...has anyone else encountered this? If I just push it, will my skin adjust?

Thanks, as always!!
Yep everyday, not always 3 passes though. Various razors and blades from mild to quite aggressive. Face latherer 99% of the time. Alcohol splash, AS tonic, balm, alum, WH, whatever I feel like software wise. What I'm trying to say is I use whatever I want everyday and get little to no irritation ANYMORE. I did. And this is what I found helped:

Firstly, it took my skin time to actually get used to DE shaving. Regardless of how good your technique is, if you don't let your body adapt its never gonna work,

For me, I used a mild razor and shaved exclusively WTG with COLD water for a few weeks. Follow up with an alcohol splash and face moisturiser to disinfect and then rehyrdrate the skin. This has made it so my skin is all good now. Give it a try and see how it works for you. You'd be surprised how subtle differences like this can go a long way.

Thanks, as always!!

I'm the same way in that I don't shave every day. Either every other day or 3 days at the max, however, there have been times where I have gone as long as 4 days. My primary reason for not Shaving every day is because my beard growth doesn't seem to be as fast as others. In my case, there is a reason behind the slow beard growth in terms of health issues I deal with. Before these health issues were addressed, I could go as long as 5 days without Shaving and not have a lot of growth.

I feel like that by Shaving every 2 or 3 days allows for enough hair to grow that I get a much smoother shave.

YMMV

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I used to faithfully shave every single morning about seven o'clock but since I've retired and with Covid I'll skip days when I stay home.

At this rate it'll be a long time before I use up my soap stash. :001_rolle

Like OP, daily shaving for me leads to irritation. I rarely cut myself and feel my technique and equipment are perfectly adequate to the task. I just have sensitive skin. My beard is not heavy and so every 3rd or 4th day suits me just fine.

Before the pandemic I shaved 6 or 7 days a week. Now it's every other day, which has been much better for my skin.

I have said it at least twice before. For the last 15 years I have shaved every day. I do not intend to change that. A couple of months I was down with the SARS. Even then it was everyday. On some days it wasn't exactly easy, but I did a quick 2-pass.

My father insisted on shaving daily… put a shine on your day! Show respect for yourself and by doing so you show respect for others by looking and being your best.

That has stuck with me since I started shaving @ 15. I will at most skip a day here or there when I have nothing going on but shave in the shower practically daily.

Shaving, washing, whatever ya wanna call it… I always liked that mindset my father passed down. Your showing respect for others by respecting yourself. Easy enough. Yeah- Jedi mind trick and easy I guess.

I started shaving every two days with a straight over a year ago and then before Christmas I switched to every day so I can spend more time with all of the straights and hones that I now have. Plus more shaves seems to be making Frank a better shaver and honer :).

Top Bottom