What's new

Did anyone use Maggard new Super High Density knot?

Nice brushes! So, the yellow is wolf whiskers and the brown is Elite?
So, the two knots are 2mm different in diameter, but you feel it was the depth that the brown was set that made it better? What was the depth. Sorry if I missed that.

A few years ago I was looking for a 2 band knot for a handle that I had. I researched about 6 knots, eliminated the Maggard after reading reviews. This knot was reviewed on having soft tips but was soft on backbone and density. Lets Fast forward a few years and Maggard came out with a new knot called the SHD (Super High Density).

I looked for reviews and found in most reviews there was more useless conversation than actual reviews of the knot. I didn't want to wait so I took a shot and purchased a 26 (opening 27) and a WW with a 24 (opening 25) SHD that was being sold on Maggard's website. The day before I purchased the 24 I had already sent out the 26 to Elite to be put into one of Bobs handles, so the 24 was my first experience with this knot.

What I want in a knot is soft tips in varying degree's from soft tip presence to cotton soft no tip presence, backbone, medium to strong backbone with good density, I want the full luxurious soft massage lathering experience.

The WW 24 knot is set at 25 x 50 has very soft tips with very moderate backbone which most people would love, its a lovely knot and for years these characteristics were the standard set by Thater and Shavmac (M&F had more density tip feel varied) but this Maggard knot is not for me. When Bob sent back the 26 (27 x 49) this was now a totally different animal. The tip softness was there but now with medium backbone and nice density, I'm very happy with this knot in Bobs handle. This knot has a nice soft tip fullness on my face in its lathering, this knot delivers a good relaxing face massage, at this loft this knot has nice character

There are people who have stated that this knot is slightly below the level of Elite and other knots, I disagree. I remember when Bob's 2 band came out and he also got the same reviews from some people, now people look at his knot as one of the standards to compare other knots too. For the time being, I feel this brush/knot will go in my rotation with the Paladin's, Elite's, Romera's, Declarations, yes all my brushes are slightly different with their own personalities and this brush/knot belongs with them.

View attachment 970799 View attachment 970800

My new Wolf Whiskers custom brush with the Maggard's SHD 22mm set at 48mm loft. It sure looks nice, but will give my feedback after a few uses...

DSC04343.jpg

My new Wolf Whiskers custom brush with the Maggard's SHD 22mm set at 48mm loft. It sure looks nice, but will give my feedback after a few uses...

View attachment 972817

Well, after only two uses, I can confidently say that the Maggard's SHD knot is way too soft for my liking. I have the 22mm set to 48mm loft. It is a beautiful knot, but just does not have any scritch and/or backbone. It is like lathering your face with a mink coat (that soft). It produces a great amount of lather and if you don't mind just painting the soap on your face, it will do.

I now need to find a new 22mm badger with some scritch and moderate backbone. Suggestions appreciated.

Well, after only two uses, I can confidently say that the Maggard's SHD knot is way too soft for my liking. I have the 22mm set to 48mm loft. It is a beautiful knot, but just does not have any scritch and/or backbone. It is like lathering your face with a mink coat (that soft). It produces a great amount of lather and if you don't mind just painting the soap on your face, it will do.

I now need to find a new 22mm badger with some scritch and moderate backbone. Suggestions appreciated.
This would make it a deal breaker for me, sucks!
Do others have the same experience?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Do you guys think that 26mm would be too large for face lathering or should I stick with 24mm?

I used this kit yesterday...

4-23-19.Kit.Barbershop.JPG

This 30 mm (actually it's larger) MS silvertip is in my face lathering rotation. It's a lovely brush for my whiskers, skin, and needs as a guy who only face lathers. It's a dense wall of badger. I have two of these brushes which makes no sense but both are equally great. Different handle colors.

I've not used the Maseto two band brush at all (should have bought one instead of the second silvertip but didn't), but I'm considering using the MS two band in my upcoming project (it will be my very first knot replacement). Before doing so I'm going to read up again on the MS two band. As I recall the reviews are great, but it's been a while since I was exploring the brand and the knots so I'm not telling you anything except what I'm thinking about and what I know of the brushes I've used.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 975178

This 30 mm (actually it's larger) MS silvertip is in my face lathering rotation. It's a lovely brush for my whiskers, skin, and needs as a guy who only face lathers. It's a dense wall of badger. I have two of these brushes which makes no sense but both are equally great. Different handle colors.

I've not used the Maseto two band brush at all (should have bought one instead of the second silvertip but didn't), but I'm considering using the MS two band in my upcoming project (it will be my very first knot replacement). Before doing so I'm going to read up again on the MS two band. As I recall the reviews are great, but it's been a while since I was exploring the brand and the knots so I'm not telling you anything except what I'm thinking about and what I know of the brushes I've used.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the Maseto 2 Band and it is much better in terms of backbone and feel than the Maggard's SHD that I just put in my Wolf Whiskers handle. I prefer a fan, but the Maseto 26mm bulb is great and is the only bulb I have in my rotation out of 7 brushes.

View attachment 975178

Happy shaves,

Jim
That thing is huge!!!

Top Bottom