What's new

Did anyone use Maggard new Super High Density knot?

Someone on Reddit received the new 26mm SHD and put it in a 29mm handle. They said it was a snug fit... Looks like people will need to size down on their knot of choice for this batch.

Beautiful! What depth did you set it in?
18 mm. My first use of this brush was very bad. I used my recent habit of measuring a quarter teaspoon of soap, Stirling Gentleman sample, into a bowl and then lathering. This Maggard badger swalled up that soap and wouldn't let it go. Barely enough lather for a to pass shave. I was sad that I had glued it into a nice ebonite handle. But this morning a loaded the brush directly in a dish of Tabac and got wonderful lather. I guess I got a lot more soap on the brush by loading it from the dish. But it tells me that my synths use a lot less soap. With a synth I've never run out of soap with my measuring method.

18 mm. My first use of this brush was very bad. I used my recent habit of measuring a quarter teaspoon of soap, Stirling Gentleman sample, into a bowl and then lathering. This Maggard badger swalled up that soap and wouldn't let it go. Barely enough lather for a to pass shave. I was sad that I had glued it into a nice ebonite handle. But this morning a loaded the brush directly in a dish of Tabac and got wonderful lather. I guess I got a lot more soap on the brush by loading it from the dish. But it tells me that my synths use a lot less soap. With a synth I've never run out of soap with my measuring method.
Thanks! The dense badger knot is known to hog lather. A trade off for the luxurious feeling density gives. Glad it’s working for you. How was the backbone?

Received my “26mm” knot today and it will not fit into my 27.5mm handle. I used calipers to measure the glue bump diameter and it is 28.5mm......I guess I now need a 30mm handle.

Received my “26mm” knot today and it will not fit into my 27.5mm handle. I used calipers to measure the glue bump diameter and it is 28.5mm......I guess I now need a 30mm handle.
I still think that's odd. Why don't they call it a 28mm knot?

I still think that's odd. Why don't they call it a 28mm knot?

What seems really odd to me is that the largest diameter is actually above the obvious bottom glue disk, which is 26mm. Just above that is a huge glue section within the hair that has a wider diameter. It’s nuts.

Based on all of your reviews, I'm assuming we should just look elsewhere for our knots? I just nabbed That Darn Rob brush this morning in his drop and I was hoping to grab one of those Maggard SHDs.

FYI, they just released the SHD bulb knots. I don't see the glue bump disclaimer :)
Tempted about getting the DIY kit, just worried about possible lack of backbone.

FYI, they just released the SHD bulb knots. I don't see the glue bump disclaimer :)
Tempted about getting the DIY kit, just worried about possible lack of backbone.
This is my first fan knot. I think I'm really going to like it. I had trouble getting lather my first use, but it was either a lack of being broken in or perhaps a poor choice of soap, but I'm now getting huge lather. Pic is of brush and bowl after a two pass shave. I'm a bowl latherer so I'm not the best judge of backbone in a brush. When I get the brush to my face I'm more of a painter than a scrubber. But it is certainly not as floppy as my synths.
IMG_20190514_082016.jpg

Mine is great. Super soft and with backbone. Not sure how it doesn't have any. Its 22mm and not floppy at all, and it releases lather well
20190506_200101.jpg
15579771030295779560381629578344.jpg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I just received a new 24mm shd bulb . No problems with glue bump,nice backbone
And nice face feel. I will post some pictures and my thoughts in a new thread.

Top Bottom