What's new

Did anyone use Maggard new Super High Density knot?

So Maggard Razors had come up with a new knot lately, which is Manchurian and more densely packed than their regular 2 Band line.
There is a review on Reddit that gave it good feedback. I'm wondering if anyone else here has any experience with this new knot?

I just shaved with one this morning, so this is my first impression:

I haven’t tried too many badger brushes. If I do, I tend to go with a smaller knot since I don't like how they hog lather. I shaved with the 22mm SHD knot this morning and absolutely loved it. The loft is a bit high right now at 54mm, but the brush still provided decent backbone. It has gel tips and is the softest brush I’ve used to date (may be due to high loft) – even softer than my Thater 2-band. Also possibly due to the high loft, or maybe the fan shape (my first fan), but the flow through on this brush is fantastic. Almost as good as a synthetic. I may have officially moved away from synthetic brushes thanks to this.

I'll probably set this at 50mm loft and see how I like it then decide if I want to try 24mm or bigger…

Last edited:
I just shaved with one this morning, so this is my first impression:

I haven’t tried too many badger brushes. If I do, I tend to go with a smaller knot since I don't like how they hog lather. I shaved with the 22mm SHD knot this morning and absolutely loved it. The loft is a bit high right now at 54mm, but the brush still provided decent backbone. It has gel tips and is the softest brush I’ve used to date (may be due to high loft) – even softer than my Thater 2-band. Also possibly due to the high loft, or maybe the fan shape (my first fan), but the flow through on this brush is fantastic. Almost as good as a synthetic. I may have officially moved away from synthetic brushes thanks to this.

I'll probably set this at 50mm loft and see how I like it then decide if I want to try 24mm or bigger…

I have my sights on this knot for a Wolf Whiskers handle and would love to see a pic of your handle with the 22mm (maybe with something next to it to compare size). I am considering a 24mm and am concerned it might be too big after your feedback.

I took this picture yesterday. That's what it looked like when it arrived. I can take another photo when I get home as I imagine it has bloomed out quite a bit after first use.

From left to right: 22mm Maggard SHD, 24mm Thater 2-band and 24mm Synbad Synthetic.
20190227_204548.jpg

I took this picture yesterday. That's what it looked like when it arrived. I can take another photo when I get home as I imagine it has bloomed out quite a bit after first use.

From left to right: 22mm Maggard SHD, 24mm Thater 2-band and 24mm Synbad Synthetic.
View attachment 957617
'

It looks great in that handle, so I am sure the 24mm will be great as well. Thanks for posting the pics!

I've been eyeing the 28 or 30mm for my Rubberset 200-5 that I'm restoring. The more pictures that I see of them, the more I want Maggard to take my money.

My Maggards SHD knot(22mm) arrived today. I'm not sure if this will be the handle I'll put it in. I made 5 handles this weekend and will make a couple more tomorrow depending on how much snow I'll have shovel in the morning. It appears to be a nice knot but it was stinky. Getting alot of reflection from the doily.

My Maggards SHD knot(22mm) arrived today. I'm not sure if this will be the handle I'll put it in. I made 5 handles this weekend and will make a couple more tomorrow depending on how much snow I'll have shovel in the morning. It appears to be a nice knot but it was stinky. Getting alot of reflection from the doily.

That's a very nice looking brush!

Greetings Oscar11,

I am working on a custom handle and have decided on this knot, but am not sure about the knot size. I am debating between the 22mm and 24mm. Do you have a picture with this handle and knot with a chapstick or other item so I can judge the size? It is my understanding these high density knots really bloom out, so I don't want too big, but I don't want too small either.

Beautiful brush you have there.

Thanks,

Thomas

Top Bottom