What's new

Did anyone use Maggard new Super High Density knot?

Question, has anyone tried the SHD bulb and with the fan? and if so is the SHD bulb as soft as the Fan? Also, the bulb looks like a hybrid is it?

I have one 30 mm SHD, socket depth 19mm which is so deep.
It is my shortest loft, but it is the best brush I have ever used.
It is extremely dense, super soft and so much backbone. I have been using the brush since mid feb, it is very durable.
I dont like 26 mm with 15mm socket depth, since lack of backbone. But this one is amazing.

I have one 30 mm SHD, socket depth 19mm which is so deep.
It is my shortest loft, but it is the best brush I have ever used.
It is extremely dense, super soft and so much backbone. I have been using the brush since mid feb, it is very durable.
I dont like 26 mm with 15mm socket depth, since lack of backbone. But this one is amazing.

I agree, the fans do need to be set deeper. Nice brush!

I noticed a lot of posts about what size the hole needs to be compared to the advertised size of the knot so here are some of my observations.

The size of the knot is the diameter of the base disc. Actually it is often slightly less, most frequently about .5 mm less or so.

What many are calling the glue bump I call the swell. Usually the glue bump refers to the height of the glue bump, rather than the diameter. The swell varies greatly from knot to knot although those from the same batch are close to the same. The swell tends to be more with denser knots. Increased diameter is all over the map, usually at least 1 mm with about 2 mm very common. I have seen them as much as 5 mm. The height to the widest part of the swell varies as well, but usually about 3 mm to 5 mm from the bottom.

As a result, you really should not attempt to order a knot based on the hole size. Final determination should not be made until the knot is in hand.

Most handles have room to open up the hole quite a bit to fit the knot. The amount available varies from handle to handle. I have installed 24 mm knots in 21 mm handles, 25 mm knots is 21 mm handles, and 24 mm handles to fit 26 mm knots. The preferred tool is a Dremel Drum Sander. It is reasonably easy to dial in a perfect fit. When I opened up a stone handle I needed a diamond studded tool in the Dremel though because it was so hard.

Anyway, just comments from someone that has assembled many brushes. YMMV.

Thank you! Very useful information.
I noticed a lot of posts about what size the hole needs to be compared to the advertised size of the knot so here are some of my observations.

The size of the knot is the diameter of the base disc. Actually it is often slightly less, most frequently about .5 mm less or so.

What many are calling the glue bump I call the swell. Usually the glue bump refers to the height of the glue bump, rather than the diameter. The swell varies greatly from knot to knot although those from the same batch are close to the same. The swell tends to be more with denser knots. Increased diameter is all over the map, usually at least 1 mm with about 2 mm very common. I have seen them as much as 5 mm. The height to the widest part of the swell varies as well, but usually about 3 mm to 5 mm from the bottom.

As a result, you really should not attempt to order a knot based on the hole size. Final determination should not be made until the knot is in hand.

Most handles have room to open up the hole quite a bit to fit the knot. The amount available varies from handle to handle. I have installed 24 mm knots in 21 mm handles, 25 mm knots is 21 mm handles, and 24 mm handles to fit 26 mm knots. The preferred tool is a Dremel Drum Sander. It is reasonably easy to dial in a perfect fit. When I opened up a stone handle I needed a diamond studded tool in the Dremel though because it was so hard.

Thank you, that is very helpful!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Great post.

upload_2019-5-27_8-58-53.jpeg

As someone who has never assembled a brush, but has a handle which needs one, I want to thank you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I wished we can select the depth of swell when we order a knot.
if I can, my best will be 30mm knot with 5 mm swell. I want extreme backbone, very dense and gel-tips.

I received a Wolf Whiskers SHD brush, and I'm pleasantly surprised. It definitely has less backbone than my Paladin, but I wouldn't say it's floppy either. The 26mm fan knot is huge! The tips are very soft. No complaints at all!

Attachments

• img_eggsif_5536697470965600701.jpg
    img_eggsif_5536697470965600701.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 45
  • img_eggsif_1213232498092716006.jpg
    img_eggsif_1213232498092716006.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 44
  • img_eggsif_6332669618121752167.jpg
    img_eggsif_6332669618121752167.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 46
  • img_eggsif_5751434342598662605.jpg
    img_eggsif_5751434342598662605.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 46
Got a 22mm SHD last week. I've used it 4x so far. I set it at 44mm. Tips are very soft, brush has good backbone at this loft.

It reminds me a good bit of a Simpson Chubby size 1, and I'm pretty fond of that brush. As for density, it has about the same amount of hair as my 10 year old TGN Finest 24mm, which I have set at 42mm... very similar behavior, but the SHD is far softer... so I'd estimate it's got about 15-20% more hair/cm^2 vs the TGN.

Got a 22mm SHD last week. I've used it 4x so far. I set it at 44mm. Tips are very soft, brush has good backbone at this loft.

It reminds me a good bit of a Simpson Chubby size 1, and I'm pretty fond of that brush. As for density, it has about the same amount of hair as my 10 year old TGN Finest 24mm, which I have set at 42mm... very similar behavior, but the SHD is far softer... so I'd estimate it's got about 15-20% more hair/cm^2 vs the TGN.

I’m looking to grab one of these for my 200-2 (already have a first run SHD fan in my 200-5) and am wondering what hole size you used. The 200-2 has roughly a 23.7mm plug size and am curious is the 22mm would work.

For what it's worth, the 22mm was definitely closer to accurate size than the 24mm knots I've gotten from them... which seem to run at least 1-2mm big. I would guess it'd fit in a 23.7mm hole.

I just got this today. It's the Maggard 30mm SHD 2 band in a Turn N Shave custom handle. It's a new kind of knot for me and i wasn't really sure what to expect, but holy cow! I don't know if it's the knot or what, but my face hasn't been this soft and smooth since i was about 5! I'm really liking this knot! It has more backbone than I'm used to but I'm sure I'll adjust to it.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just got this today. It's the Maggard 30mm SHD 2 band in a Turn N Shave custom handle. It's a new kind of knot for me and i wasn't really sure what to expect, but holy cow! I don't know if it's the knot or what, but my face hasn't been this soft and smooth since i was about 5! I'm really liking this knot! It has more backbone than I'm used to but I'm sure I'll adjust to it.

Lovely brush.

Do you know how deeply the knot is set?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom