What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

GRUME...Still In! 👍✌️💪
DecemBOAR day 8

View attachment 1569086

Schick Krona
Super Iridium SS (5?)
Semogue SOC
The Club (A&E) Tibetan Temple

This soap was a Black Friday special last month. Here is the Ariana & Evans description:
"Notes: Tobacco leaf, honey, iris, sandalwood, amber, musk, frankincense, myrh, smoke, rose, patchouli, Himalayan cedar and hay." ...I was intrigued and ordered it.

When I opened the container I had a rush of memories from the 60's and 70's...... Cone incense burning at parties (now they call it aroma therapy)...Feeling Groovy...✌️...Love...don't trust anyone over 30...revolution...stay cool man...mini skirts...cute chicks...music in the air... turntables...albums...3 TV stations... and FM rock. It was an exciting and interesting era to come of age.

It is kinda mystical how scents and our other senses can trigger memories and emotions.

Do you recognize this guy? Here is a photo from that era.

View attachment 1569091

Onto the shave. A simple boar brush was common and the "modern" Schick Krona was probably being marketed to the younger generation at that time. The soap is well made and reminds me of incense smoke waffling in the air. I contained my reactive emotions and focused on the job at hand and experienced a DFS.
"It was far out man." ✌️
"Please take care of yourself and each other."-Lester Holt
Groovy man! (What, me worry?)

That was also close to the era of the introduction of the Trac II, around 1967 IIRC. Ad:“The second blade cuts the rest of the first whisker as it snaps back” (or something like that.)

Last edited:
Still in 🙏🏽

Cleaned up the drawers I use for my shaving equipment. Looks like some mad squirrel thought shaving stuff would get him through twenty harsh winters. Kind of confronting, the madness that strikes me some periods. Anyway: I am going to enjoy it all the same.

First ever use of a German Wilkinson. That thing took me aback. Much sharper than I thought. Resulting in two tiny red spots. Once the blade and me got acquainted, the combi with the briliant Greencult 1.0 delivered a very (very) good shave, again: much to my surprise.
This soap is awesome, brethren. Badger tallowed. Leaves my skin silky smooth.

46FC1AB9-9644-4127-8EC5-DB1C3A68A3BB.jpeg

Still in, Had a morning shave for once before going into the office

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack
Brush: Simpso Commodore X3
Soap: Thiers Issard Vetiver

Post-Shave: Alum Block
Fine Accoutrements L’Orange Noir AS Splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB
Castle Forbes Special Reserve Vetiver
EFP

Cracking smooth shave resulting in a BBS finish. This soap is so underrated IMO. Looking and smelling good for the office and the Xmas meal after. Colleagues commented on how nice I smelled. Not too sure how to take that one.

Onto the next one over the weekend. Stay safe fellas in these cold times 😎😎😎😎

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Still in. No shave today, yet. Day's not over.

I'm confident you can pick up any one of these and roll with it!
View attachment 1568892
Hey now! Gentlemanly Restraint is one thing, scrounging around in my blade bank is something entirely different.
Still in.

Today would have been my father's 91st birthday, though he only made it to 54. So, in honor of that and to the best of my memory:

Gillette Super Speed
KCG (1)
Osea Algae oil preshave
Barbasol (Hydrated)
Moen Bowl
Yaqi Timberwolf
Aqua Velva

Nice!
Just nice to see this post. Thanks for sharing.

Day 8, 25.8% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Stayed with the safety bar GC. After yesterday's quick shave, treated myself to a more leisurely one, getting a comfortable near-BBS.

If I shaved intermittently, the open comb might win, but for daily use, this one is still the winner.

I used the Rockwell for a long time, and going by the blade gap, this is only an "R6½" plate.

Every now and then a NOS stick pops up at the german bay... that's how I got mine.

But the prices have ridiculously skyrocked. Nowadays, at times sellers ask for a retail price of 30 Euro per stick... which is a rip off imo. If you want me to I'll keep my eyes open and get back to you if a more reasonable offering comes up... 👍

It's gone just as silly with the Palmolive shave sticks. I just looked, and the asking price is ~ £20! 🤣

I love the nostalgic 70s scent, the shave is good, but the aftermath is a bit dried-up for me.

Date
365 days of shaving346/342
(100%)
GRUME December9/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special Edition OCKCG (29)Omega Super Badger 632
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in, although I find it harder by the minute. The flipside of the coin is that as much as I would like to acquire a couple of Razorock razors to try out, EU customs and taxes have as much a GRUME restraint effect on me as any. Without wanting to get into clone wars, I can definitely see and appreciate fellow shaving brothers turning East.

Anyway, Fatip Friday is upon me again! This razor and blade are a fixed combination in my den. I sometimes swap blades and razors, but never with these two. The combination just works and this morning is was no different. After the first WTG pass some areas of my cheeks already felt really smooth and overall I think a light SAS could be awarded. Second WXTG brought down the remaining bulk and the ATG finished the shave to arrive at mostly BBS level. I felt some remaining hairs here and there and therefore overall effectiveness is a DFS+.

I did notice during strokes that small / quick strokes, bordering on buffing strokes worked best today, signaling me that the blade appears to be turning the corner. But I might be tempted to hone this one and see where that takes me.

Haslinger worked wonderfully together with the Omega badger. The backbone is non-existent as far as I can tell and it flops back and forth, but I found that if I use a scrubbing motion rather than circular motion the mega splay can be avoided and a very nice and rich lather can be build while massaging the skin and beard stubbles. Excellent.

Floïd's did not sting as much confirming the DFS shave level. Nivea completed the shave for a soothing effect. Ready for another day!

Enjoy your shave today!

Still in - BBS

Bit of change in the setup now that I’m using samples. The ridges on the bottom of the Fine bowl work a bit better to hold the soap portion than the flat bottom of the CC copper bowl.

Although my lather was a bit airy the shave itself was marvelous. With the Progress on 4.5 the Rapira made that rasping/crunching sound whilst going through the whiskers - always a good sign for me in a blade.

Progress, Rapira Super Stainless (1), Extro Camelot, Zenith Manchurian, Bootleggers EL Dorado

83C73038-B003-418D-8E7D-F46A01288EFE.jpeg

Still in

Gillette SkinGuard (5?)
Stephan Conditioning + Speick Cream
Hand-applied
Clubman Pinaud

The SkinGuard is an excellent cartridge, smooth and very comfortable. With a bit of care, it can also provide a close shave. The Stephan Conditioning Cream results in excellent post shave feel and does seem to do what its title suggests. I don't love it as a stand-alone cream, however.

Top Bottom