What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in with a great shave today!

1670366556828.jpeg

The Bergamot and Thyme makes an excellent and beautiful lather. That is why I got the 63 a few months ago.
@Markdad2 will hopefully enjoy his new soap!
Can’t seem to find this soap in 🇬🇧 from vendors so unless some kind soul decides to present with a puck, have to keep an eye on the BST. This with the balm will see me fail this months GRUME, that is unless I can sort a trade 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Day 6, 19.6% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Enhancement: a few drops of glycerine
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Ti Handle, Astra SP #3
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Used the open comb Game Changer for a good WTG mowing, and the safety bar for everything else. The SB might be less efficient, but it's a lot more comfortable to use ATG. If they did a combination .84 baseplate, I'd buy it.

I should probably try shimming the safety bar.

First year of DE shaving completed!

Date
365 days of shaving343/339
(100%)
GRUME December6/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes4
WXTG (2)CB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
XTGGillette Slant (W-E)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
King C GilletteKing C Gillette (1)Omega Roma
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green
Proraso
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
7/10 (Irritation on the neck)

Notes to today’s shave:

A memorable shave as I had my 365 shave and my first anniversary as DE wet shaver this morning. I used my first item (the KCG) together with my last item (Omega Roma) for an easy and comfortable shave. The KCG razor is mild and I noticed that I have grown in my preference and like more effective razors nowadays. In comparison to the blades in the Discovery Adventure the KCG reminded me of its superior performance. Smooth, comfortable, easy-going and sharp. It also reminded me of a luring danger with this blade. After applying aftershave and balm I noticed irritation on my neck - not during the shave but afterwards. The KCG blade and razor combination has the deceiving ability to let you think you can get away with anything only to find out you might have overshaved an area or two.

The new Omega Roma brush was a delight! Excellent brush, great lathering capabilities and very nice to the skin. Solid backbone while also soft and pleasant. Lather was a bit on the dryer side I noticed, I need to dial in the water levels for this brush a bit more.

My first shave was with De Vergulde Hand, but I do not have that in stock at the moment, so went with the second soap I ever bought, Proraso Green. Simply wonderful. I only used KCG Face Wash as pre-shave, but that did not do the trick fully. I need more pre-shave preparation - which may also have contributed to the irritation I bet.

I have decided to celebrate my first anniversary shave with a PIF and the winner has already been preselected and contacted. I expect the package to go out later this week. This community has given me so much over the past months I truly think your conduct and interactions with me have made me a better person. And for that I thank you ALL!

Have a wonderful day and a wonderful shave today!
You may have had some GRUME stumblers, but you didn't drop out of our mutual passion. Van harte gefeliciteerd, gozert 💐

Bowl lathering is now my preferred method. Face lathering is too unpredictable for me (IMHO) so I fine tune the lather before applying to my face. It is really a mater of personal preference. YRMV- your results may vary.
I started out face lathering, then had been bowl lathering for over a year. I just recently started face lathering again. I felt like it gave more control, and more consistent results; go figure! (Also uses a lot less soap.) As you say YRMV!

Date
365 days of shaving344/340
(100%)
GRUME December7/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine Flatboy with common bar handleBolzano (10)Omega Roma
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
TGS Furiah
Proraso
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+)
7/10 (Irritation on the neck)

Notes to today’s shave:

What happens after your first anniversary of DE wet shaving? Well, the journey simply continues with another shave! Inspired by @Jack Goossen I pulled out the Flatboy taking the second Bolzano into double digits. The combination works rather well with the Flatboy providing an excellent shave at just two passes. I did a third pass for fun and to turn it into a BBS homerun. After the shave however I discovered I missed some problem areas in my neck. Yesterday's irritation was still there after the shave today which is a signal for me that although the blade performed well, it might be time to move on. The KCG is just harsher in the KCG razor than it is in other razors (like the Fatip) and so irritation was kind of expected to be honest.

The Roma brush was again a delight to use. Nice lather from the Furiah and sufficient splay with backbone for a nice massaging face lather with a last pass bowl lathering to reinvigorate the soap.

Floïds did not sting as much which is also evidenced by the return of stubble only some 7 hours after the shave. But all was good in shaveland as far as I am concerned.

Enjoy your shave today!

Still out.

Merkur Progress with Bic CP, (2).
Yaqi 26mm Best Badger
Timeless Razor Blue Shave Bowl
Barrister and Mann's Full Measure of Man Soap
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Aftershave
Nice 3 pass shave, great lather today. B&M takes a while for me in the bowl to get just right. But when I do it's such a great soap.

Better late than never, I'm in for December

1) @FoolishMortal - SOMTC
2) @tjsgarden
3) @Multum in parvo
4) @Doti B
5) @iver
6) @elmo_koffman
7) @BobbyB
8) @Balin- SOMTC
9) @cryhavoc
10) @Tillerman
11) @LJBraaten
12) @Jack Goossen
13 ) @JAHE
14) @Contact_vs_Feedback
15) @SharpieB
16) @ChriWilson
17) @wmadoty
18) @JWCowboy
19) @Chef455
20) @Stuart Ganis
21) @sandorfi - SOTMC
22) @cantujm
23) @hopper_64
24) Markdad2 - out (12/6: PdP63)
25) @Guido75
26) @Roedeer
27) @FL shaver
28) @sarir97
29) @Dodger59

Still in

RR Game Changer 68 SB
Feather (2)
Cremo Refreshing (1st pass) and Stephan Conditioning (2nd pass)
Hand-applied
Lucky Tiger

Decent shave, but 2 rare weepers under the nose. I have not particularly enjoyed the Feather blade in the GC. Not sure why as just about everything works. Will bin and try a new one later.

Top Bottom