What's new

DE Razors for very sensitive skin

Hi all,

Looking for a DE razor which will limit irritation on my skin to a minimal degree. Daily shave with three passes. Have used a bunch of razors from chrome plated to full stainless steel, nothing really seems to do the trick, the best i have gotten is with a masamune .68 closed comb with the least amount of irritation. Any recommendations ?

Reactions: Kix

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Tell us which razors you have tried so we can narrow down the field. My two cents is the Feather ASD2. I have one and it’s too mild for me or I’m not holding the razor just right. It’s a quality razor at about $200. Maybe a vintage Gillette Tech.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have psoriasis... it mostly affects my joints but it does give me face issues. I'm not sure exactly what kind of issues you have, so I'm not sure what might help you. I will say this... I'm now using unscented shaving soaps. My dermatologist told me the ingredients used to create the various scents are probably causing the problems with my skin. I have no idea if that is the issue for you. I also don't know what razors you are using. I would assume (usually a bad idea) your razors are in the mild category at the moment. If you'd list your razors and soaps, that might help us give you more useful advice.

Edit: I hope @RayClem chimes in. He usually does. He's have more experience tracking dozens of soaps for skin irritation. If I wanted to know about a particular soap, it's likely he's tested it. If not, he looks at the ingredients in a soap recipe and can tell us how it's likely to affect us, if he knows what our issues are.

For me, irritation comes from one or more of three issues:
1. Poor prep.
2. Pressure.
3. Sub-optimal shaving angle.

In other words, IME with proper technique I get little or no irritation. The razor is generally secondary.

That said, I fortunately do not suffer from allergic reactions to products.

As others suggested, more information about the irritation you are experiencing would be helpful.

Early in my wet shaving journey I was having irritation issues (well, my irritation issues started with cartridge razors, but my initial steps into wet shaving only helped some). I ultimately found that for me and my issues, for which ingrown hairs were a frequent problem, using a more aggressive razor, fewer passes, and beard growth mapping were the ultimate solutions, but as always, YMMV.

Reactions: Kix
Yes, I would agree on the three pass issue. You can still get a good comfortable shave with less passes, and would be cognizant of the amount if pressure you use. I started with RR GC .68 and was happy.

Hi all,

Looking for a DE razor which will limit irritation on my skin to a minimal degree. Daily shave with three passes. Have used a bunch of razors from chrome plated to full stainless steel, nothing really seems to do the trick, the best i have gotten is with a masamune .68 closed comb with the least amount of irritation. Any recommendations ?
Does use of a milder razor work better for you? If so one of the mildest yet still very effective razors is the King C. Gillette. Works well for me and many others have posted on it. Also, no reason to stick with a 3 pass shave. A couple passes may work just as well while reducing irritation.

Finally I've found that a wetter slicker lather works best. May also help with irritation.

Masamune closed comb is an excellent mild razor. Very safe and forgiving but still efficient enough for a great shave. I don’t think the razor is the issue. Focus more on your prep, your lather quality, and your technique. Try different brands of blades. And don’t go the full 3 passes chasing BBS, it may be too much for your skin.

Reading your post I was going to recommend the Masamune until I got to the part where you said you had already used one and are still looking for more. I'll give you two for consideration. The Timeless .068 in stainless steel or titanium, or the Lambda Athena. I have all of those razors and enjoy them all although I normally use the .095 plate with my Timeless.

Regarding the pre-shave prep: Make sure your lather is good and wet. A pre-shave might also help. I use pre-shaves on my neck because that's where I will normally get irritation from poor prep. I've had success with the pre-shaves I have tried (Shave Secret oil, white Proraso pre-shave, and Razorock pre-shave gel).

Hi all,

Here:

It's super mild, cheap, Made in the USA and very well built!

Merkur 34C is super mild as well. 23C if you like long handles (same head as the 34C!)

Good luck!

Adjustable one. Rockwell 6C or the Parker variant, look no further. You can literally tweak what suits you the most, change aggression levels between passes, etc. Non adjustables are a one trick pony and it's a risk getting them.

I also have sensitive skin, I ended up binning the Fatip Piccolo, Parker 97R, Wilkinson Sword classic and the R41 (well that one is mothballed). Then I got a Rockwell and my life is easy now.

Last edited:
I use a Fatboy cranked down to "2" with a Feather blade for my recovery shaves. No non-adjustable I have found can get this mild and the shave is pretty darn close if you maintain angle.

Any recommendations ?
1. Let the skin heal. Give it a break for a couple of days or so
2. Daily shaves with two passes and fewer, lighter strokes
3. Focus on lather as the lousy lather is primary culprit for irritation, in my uneducated opinion
4. Use a medium aggressive, neutral exposure razor and a middle of the road blade (most of Gillette, but no SharpEdge)
5. Lather in bowl then apply lather on face
6. You can use a pre-shave cream or oil to ensure residual slickness and cushioning.
Good luck.

Here:

It's super mild, cheap, Made in the USA and very well built!

Merkur 34C is super mild as well. 23C if you like long handles (same head as the 34C!)

Good luck!
I have numerous razors in my collection but the only two that reside on my bathroom sink are the SCS and a Merkur 33c. 😉

We're pretty darn close.

Top Bottom