What's new

DE Razors for very sensitive skin

The makers of Henson themselves have said something along the lines “this razor won’t improve your shave if you are already proficient with DE shaving. What it will do is make DE shaving easier and more accessible for more people”. So basically, it’s a DE with training wheels. Not that there is anything wrong with that, if it helps you get the shave you are after.

I use a Parker 91R, which is a mild razor, and using Wilkinson Sword from Germany blades, it's about as mild as you will get. If I want to step it up, I use Feather blades, and going slow with them is key. Mostly do one pass shaves, with minimal clean ups, as I shave everyday. I have more or less stopped using shave soaps, or creams. Just using the bar soap on the sink at this time, and I don't use my brush, except for weekends. Just a time issue with me right now.

The sharper the blade the better. You will need less pressure and perhaps less passes. I recommend razors designed to use the sharpest blade. Tatara and Feather razors specifically. Henson doesn't say they are designed for feather but my guess is it's as good as the other two.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this razor - The Merkur 180 (23C).

IDK if it's the mildest razor made, but it's got to be top 10.

I jokingly stated I could do "pirouettes" on my face with this razor - it's that mild.

The only problem I've had, once you get used to the 23C, switching to a more aggressive razor requires slowing down, and attention to technique.

The Merkur 23C will make you lazy and sloppy, because it's so forgiving. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

I'm relatively new to DE shaving but so far I've discovered that "mild" razors lead to irritation for me due to going over and over the same spots and applying pressure etc. When I use a razor with a positive blade exposure (not necessarily a wide blade gap) and shave with a very light touch, I get a closer shave with fewer passes and no skin irritation. I just have to pay close attention to get the angle right and not press.

I’d recommend the Merkur 34C HD, Mühle R89 / EJ DE89 (same head) or the RazoRock .68-P. But aside from the hardware, technique and proper prep is key.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This post is many weeks old and the op has yet to reappear, which seems questionable.

Not enough information. Irritation can come from the wrong razor, but it can also come from the wrong blade and most certainly from the wrong technique. What about the qualities of your beard?

Mild razor with sharper blade could work. Less mild razor with a more meek blade could work. Less pressure and better razor angle could definitely work. Again, more information please.

People are saying that razor doesnt matter, but I beg to differ. Aluminum, in particular, lends itself to less irritation. The common mantra is that you should let the weight of the razor do the work, but for people with sensitive skin, the weight of the razor on something like SS or brass is still too much pressure. You can try to have a light touch with those razors, but you'll likely never get as good as it would be if that weight simply didn't exist, which is why Aluminum is ideal for those with that sensitive skin.

Among aluminum razors, those with medium+ efficiency tend to result in less irritation than the milder ones, as the guy from Blackland mentioned. Once the issue of pressure is solved for with the Aluminum and a preferred blade, the remaining part of the irritation puzzle is the amount of blade-to-skin contact time, which is reduced when using an efficient razor. An additional factor, other than technique, is the quality of blade clamping, as that also reduces the potential for irritation. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of razers that meet these criteria, so we'll have to make due with the Karve lineup, Henson, and whatever other razer that isn't coming to mind. Hopefully, people begin to give Aluminum the respect it deserves as a razor medium.

People are saying that razor doesnt matter, but I beg to differ. Aluminum, in particular, lends itself to less irritation. The common mantra is that you should let the weight of the razor do the work, but for people with sensitive skin, the weight of the razor on something like SS or brass is still too much pressure. You can try to have a light touch with those razors, but you'll likely never get as good as it would be if that weight simply didn't exist, which is why Aluminum is ideal for those with that sensitive skin.

Among aluminum razors, those with medium+ efficiency tend to result in less irritation than the milder ones, as the guy from Blackland mentioned. Once the issue of pressure is solved for with the Aluminum and a preferred blade, the remaining part of the irritation puzzle is the amount of blade-to-skin contact time, which is reduced when using an efficient razor. An additional factor, other than technique, is the quality of blade clamping, as that also reduces the potential for irritation. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of razers that meet these criteria, so we'll have to make due with the Karve lineup, Henson, and whatever other razer that isn't coming to mind. Hopefully, people begin to give Aluminum the respect it deserves as a razor medium.
Titanium for me :) the old YMMV
but do not like the Aluminum compared to Ti ! :)

I'm relatively new to DE shaving but so far I've discovered that "mild" razors lead to irritation for me due to going over and over the same spots and applying pressure etc. When I use a razor with a positive blade exposure (not necessarily a wide blade gap) and shave with a very light touch, I get a closer shave with fewer passes and no skin irritation. I just have to pay close attention to get the angle right and not press.
Yup! I started with VDH razor, and put a Feather blade in it, and it was just ok. Now, I have a Parker 91R, and it is like night and day. If I put a Feather blade in my Parker, I had better be on my game! So, I don't use Feathers, and after 3 shaves, they start pulling out the whiskers. I use Wilkinson Sword(G), and I get a very close shave, and I can get at least 7-8 as of late, with one blade I got just about 11 DFS's(had to change blade on 11th to finish) with not a lot of clean ups. I let the razor do the weight part, while I glide it across my face, with the right technique...

Titanium for me :) the old YMMV
but do not like the Aluminum compared to Ti ! :)
YMMV based on the level of punishment your skin can handle, that is for certain. It isn't to say that anything other than Aluminum wont work, but if someone comes to you complaining about skin irritation, I think the default recommendation should be a razor that fits the criteria I listed above.

A possible addendum to this could be that you should seek out razors that allow a steeper angle, since it would allow you to put most of the weight of the razor on the safety bar and pivot the blade edge until it just makes contact with the skin. It won't be as irritation resistant as an aluminum razor with a steeper angle, but it probably isn't too far off.

Hi all,

Looking for a DE razor which will limit irritation on my skin to a minimal degree. Daily shave with three passes. Have used a bunch of razors from chrome plated to full stainless steel, nothing really seems to do the trick, the best i have gotten is with a masamune .68 closed comb with the least amount of irritation. Any recommendations ?
I would highly recommend the Overlander, can't go wrong with that razor, it's efficient and mild! Have never had any cuts or irritations with it.

YMMV based on the level of punishment your skin can handle, that is for certain. It isn't to say that anything other than Aluminum wont work, but if someone comes to you complaining about skin irritation, I think the default recommendation should be a razor that fits the criteria I listed above.

A possible addendum to this could be that you should seek out razors that allow a steeper angle, since it would allow you to put most of the weight of the razor on the safety bar and pivot the blade edge until it just makes contact with the skin. It won't be as irritation resistant as an aluminum razor with a steeper angle, but it probably isn't too far off.
YMMV is key with everything IMHO :)

all I am saying one must just fine what works for them :) no absolutes so yeah try a Al and a Ti and a SS and whatever ya want to old and new same thing with angles and soap and blades :)

not sure what Ti razors you had and tried ? would never say your choice of AL was not best though

For me that was Ti then SS then Al so again why I say YMMV

In this shaving game I found we can often find common ground with others and get ideas though and good to hear what other think and say as it can be a great starting point

I am NOT saying what you found works is/was wrong its just one persons view
so giving another view which for someone newer or looking can realize they just have to find what works for them as we both found what is best and they are not the same thing :)

I do two passes, one WTG, one ATG. I get BBS everytime. But that’s my face.

As far as razor recommendation, I’d go with a Tech

For me, irritation comes from one or more of three issues:
1. Poor prep.
2. Pressure.
3. Sub-optimal shaving angle.

In other words, IME with proper technique I get little or no irritation. The razor is generally secondary.

That said, I fortunately do not suffer from allergic reactions to products.
You are SO SO right!

I quit using my slim and went with either a 40 style super speed or Pat pending Rocket and a Nacet or GSB. Lots of wet lather and a two pass shave with touch up. I get near BBS with no irritation, weepers, of aftershave sting.

This post is many weeks old and the op has yet to reappear, which seems questionable.

Not enough information. Irritation can come from the wrong razor, but it can also come from the wrong blade and most certainly from the wrong technique. What about the qualities of your beard?

Mild razor with sharper blade could work. Less mild razor with a more meek blade could work. Less pressure and better razor angle could definitely work. Again, more information please.
I agree. He started another thread in December, after this one, and hasn't been seen on that thread, either.

I checked the Razorock aggressiveness chart. I use a RR Lupo Al, which RR rates "mild/medium". Three razors in the "mild" category, at low prices, are:

. . . RR DE1 (which looks a lot like a gilette Tech)
. . . RR Quick-Change (butterfly)
. . . RR Tech II (a Tech with longer handle)

They're cast Zamak, not machined.

Their machined-SS entry in the "ultra-mild" category is the RR Mamba 53:

The RazoRock Mamba 53 is the ultimate mild safety razor, perfect for people seeking an ultra-safe and gentle shave, especially for those with softer facial hair.

i haven't used any of those.

Top Bottom