What's new

CrOx rounding an edge

Your welcome Royce and yeah everybody gets the bug to start honing eventually although I understand on the Coupe Chou Club forum they mainly use pasted strops.

Yep - I did a clip like that.
The bevel did convex during that process.
The edge did get sharper as I progressed through the pastes; they were on cloth and leather substrates on a hard rubber block.

When I was done, I had to reset the bevel before continuing to re-hone it on stones.

You can't make this stuff up.

proxy.php

That was a full progression of honing on pastes from post bevel-set to finish.

Quite a different scenario than using crox as a finishing touch. Quite different indeed. I'm not even certain that the green paste in the clip is Crox... it's 6µm something with a PSD that runs up to what appears to be close to 10µm.
Crox, as is being discussed here - is a different compound, with a much finer 'grit' - and used sparingly.
Since it's apparent that you don't see the difference, I can can explain further.

For starters, pressing the blade with heavy pressure into the webbing is always going to round a bevel. That's what had to be done in that video clip - you can't do bevel-set or post-bevel set work without a good amount of pressure.
But you knew that, right? lol.

It's just like using a soft stone with exceedingly hard pressure.
The next part of the equation is the continued use of heavy pressure on the webbing through the red past, which I think is a form of FeOx but coarse - not a finishing paste.
Even though it's on a hard substrate, the webbing compresses.
Similar to using a loom strop with slack in it.

Just a friendly note
When you bulid an argument about a topic you don't understand, then you usually wind up putting yourself in a very bad position.
Taking info out of context is all the rage on FB and social media, but it's a rare case that one can make a sound point in doing so.

Does Crox round an edge?

Guess it depends on what it is being used on.

On a hanging strop? I would think so, Crox is abrasive, there is some slack on the strop even when holding really tight, makes sense to me. SEM pictures seems to point in that direction.

So I would guess hat yes crox on a hanging strop rounds the edge some.

Crox on a rigid media? Not sure, guess it would depend on how rigid the media is. I would think balsa has enough give that there would be some rounding but likely an infinitesimal amount.

Unless someone can show me proof that Crox does not round the edge then I would take it as it does.

Does it matter? Likely not. I can reset a bevel on light tomo slurry on a finishing stone in a few minutes so the amount of rounding is not an issue.

Use it if you like it, it certainly brings up the keenness of an edge.

Likely not. I can reset a bevel on light tomo slurry on a finishing stone in a few minutes so the amount of rounding is not an issue.

And that's the point - if you can reset the bevel that fast, the convexity isn't 'damage'.

Top Bottom