What's new

Cremo Cream Shaving Cream-Opinions?

Seeing this thread I'd realized I haven't used Creamo in a while. Since I was in a rush this morning, I decided it was a good candidate. Great shave with the Ikon slant and a Feather blade.

I use Cremo it's my first shave creme, I apply it with my brush. Not a thick lather but a light one and it has helped me learn to shave with my DE. I am not sure I would have gotten this far without it. Three weeks without a cartridge razor and counting.

I've been using Cremo for a few weeks now, and for me it stands up to anything I have applied with a brush in my brief shaving career, including Proraso, VDH, and Castle Forbes Lavender. However, Cremo requires a different approach - in my experience at least:

1. First prep with something.
  2. Then apply hot water to your face For 30 seconds. (I lean over the sink for this and slop the hot water on with a folded wash cloth.)
  3. Unless you have a lot of stubble, apply not more than an inch of Cremo - a little is better than a lot. It takes me 30 - 60 seconds to work it in (using my fingers as directed, and not a brush). I might take a little longer on the 1st pass, but I'm not sure the extra few seconds are necessary. BTW, I like the fact that my fingers are making contact with my beard directly instead of the brush, especially on 2nd and 3rd passes, speaking of which ...
  4. Repeat for XTG and ATG. I find that sometimes a little less cream is required on the 2nd and 3rd passes, and less time needed to work the cream. I also find myself using water a little less hot on successive passes, but still for 30 seconds or more.

A key factor with Cremo (at least for me) is that it should be thin on the face, and it may look a bit translucent in places. But after noticing the uncanny ease with which the razor glides across my face, I have noticed that when rubbing a clear spot, the spot may turn white, indicating that some transparent residue still coated the skin. I have also noticed that if you use too much - if you try to coat the beard thickly and completely - you may find your razor losing traction and notice some white Cremo residue stuck in your razor. I can't imagine how this can be good.

It has occurred to me that more experienced shavers than me may do better with a brush and a traditional cream or soap, but I seem to find it easier to "get it right" with the Cremo. If that changes (or if I get bored one day lol), then I will change back to a brush-based product. It has also occurred to me that applying hot water between passes with a brush might improve the brush experience for me, although at the expense of added time and lather that dries out a bit. But regardless, when the smoke clears I like the results I am getting with Cremo. I spend less time whipping up lather and more time applying hot water to my face. I also like not needing a brush, and I like the feedback I get from my fingers before each pass.

One last thing: I liked the Cremo so much that I decided to spring for the L'Occitane CADE Shaving Cream for Men - a product that also recommends applying with the fingers. I do not always use expensive products, but the L'Occitane CADE After-Shave Balm works so well for me that I decided to give the shave cream a try. I haven't used the L'Occitane cream enough to reach any conclusions yet, but it seems to be thicker than Cremo (to have more body). I can't say yet whether that will translate to better shaves and/or more mileage per ounce, but I'll post something later on if I have any clear opinion to offer.

Hi guys. First post for me, and I am really enjoying all of the things that I am learning on this site. I am not a DE razor shaver yet, but plan to be before too long.

Anyway, I was in the local CVS last night getting ibuprofen because of a knee sprain from a long and fun surf session, and realized that I needed shaving cream. My normal cream is Gillette or Edge or whatever is on sale. As I was perusing the shaving cream section, I dropped my keys. I bent down to get them, and noticed on the bottom shelf that there was a shaving kit with a brush, bowl, and shaving soap. At $12, I figured that I would pass. However, I did see Cremo right next to it, so I decided to give it a try.

My routine is to shower first, and then shave immediately after I dry myself. My "beard" cannot really be considered very tough. I am 44, but have the facial hair of a young boy, so I have never needed to really concern myself with what products I have used. A cartridge Mach 3 and whatever cheap shaving cream from a can has always worked. That ended this morning.

I followed the instructions, placed an almond sized dab in my palms, and then rubbed both palms together in order to work it up into a pseudo-lather. I applied it to my wet face, and noticed how slick it was going on. This is not something that I have experienced with Gillette shaving cream. I then put razor to face, and did my normal route, which is mostly against the grain for the entire shave. It takes me about a minute to ninety seconds to shave, and normally it is a no-thought process. I shave, I dry my face, and get about my day.

Today I actually enjoyed the shave, and was very surprised and pleased by the slickness of the product. My face was smooth, my chin, which is normally still a bit stubbly after a shave, was like a baby's butt, and my skin was moisturized. Here it is at almost 6 pm, approximately eleven hours since I have shaved, and I have zero stubble on my chin, which is not the usual case. Seeing as the only change to my routine is the Cremo, I am very pleased by the product. If I had another arm, I would give this product three thumbs up.

My plan is to use Cremo for the next few months to get a good feeling for it, and then add a DE razor. I figure that the slickness will be a big plus once I get to a DE, and at the same time I will only be using one new product vs going all in for a brush, soap, bowl, and DE. Gradually I see myself trying some of the brushes, bowls, and soaps, but for now, I am going to enjoy my locally sourced Cremo.

Cheers.
Doyle

I use it as my preshave on a daily basis. Doesn't overpower other soap scents and starts a shave off with excellent glide!

WELL, @ 73 have used everything from LAVA soap to pravaso,cannot beat pravaso has a citrus ,sandalwood,almond scents.DID try a free large cremo shaving cream for free they refunded my $$ in 4 weeks.It also has a citrus smell plus an almond cream,they also make one for the ladies in almond, wow--- it works great also.The trick to it is like someone said wash face with soap rinse then wet face take some Cremo on upper portion of your fingers apply in a circular motion it WILL lather you can even apply it in your soap bowel wet your bush,and work it might need tiny amount of water and you are on your way!They have other items that they just came out with @ target,believe it was a pre shave wash,post moisteriser.I found it to be cheaper at wal-mart.:001_smile

Last edited:
I received an email from Cremo a few days ago stating if you bought their shaving cream from target.com, you'd get a free moisturizer. I figured what the heck, might as well try their moisturizer on their dime. That's how I got their shave cream. However, if you go to target.com, the shave cream is sold out online. I went to my local Target, figuring I might get lucky and they'd honor the promotion, but the store doesn't carry the moisturizer. Catch 22.

I poked around on the web and found a message on the Cremo Facebook page stating that Target/Cremo underestimated the response and to keep checking for the SC to be back in inventory. The alternative is to order it directly from Cremo, but from their site you'd have to pay shipping, which is now free at Target.

Well, after reading the posts in this thread I realize I must be doing something wrong because no mater how much I use or how much water I use, I can't get a good lather. What I do get is very light and airy and dries out on my face before I finish stropping or shave one side of my face. I didn't think it was slick or had any cushion to it but I was using it with a brush and by it's self. I'll have to try mixing it with other soaps and see what happens. Another possibility is that we have soft water and it may work better with hard.

Well, after reading the posts in this thread I realize I must be doing something wrong because no mater how much I use or how much water I use, I can't get a good lather. What I do get is very light and airy and dries out on my face before I finish stropping or shave one side of my face. I didn't think it was slick or had any cushion to it but I was using it with a brush and by it's self. I'll have to try mixing it with other soaps and see what happens. Another possibility is that we have soft water and it may work better with hard.

This is normal, since Cremo cream is a "brushless" cream. This cream is not designed to be lathered using a brush.

You have to mix a small amount of the product with water between your palms, then massage this on your face and proceed to shave.

See instructions behind the tube :

http://cremocompany.com/images/hires/mens-shave-6oz-back.jpg

$mens-shave-6oz-back.jpg

Hope this helps :) This is a good cream but I prefer to use a soap and brush

Last edited:
This is normal, since Cremo cream is a "brushless" cream. This cream is not designed to be lathered using a brush.

You have to mix a small amount of the product with water between your palms, then massage this on your face and proceed to shave.

See instructions behind the tube :

http://cremocompany.com/images/hires/mens-shave-6oz-back.jpg

View attachment 518410

Hope this helps :) This is a good cream but I prefer to use a soap and brush

LOL!!! Thanks sharpen, that's the first time I've been able to read the the print on the tube! Even with my glasses on I couldn't read it. I guess that's why my wife set up an eye appointment for me for next week!! :blink: Thanks for the info, I'll pull it out and give it another try tomorrow morning.

And as an fyi, Target finally had it back in stock with the free moisturizer. It took a few tries for my order to go through, as the Target android app kept failing, so I had to use their website.

I do like using this product and trust that the moisturizer will be equally as good.

I have been using Cremo as a pre-shave. This morning, in a rush and my beard looking a little too scruffy for work, I used the Cremo Cream by itself. It worked great! 2 passes on my cheeks, and 3 on my neck got me an almost BBS.

I recently injured one of my wrists and had to stop using a brush to give my wrist a break. I ran across Mantic59's free shaving PDF and saw the mention of brush-less creams, so I thought I would give them a try. I found Cremo Cream locally and thought I would give it a try (since it was named in the PDF).

Once you figure out how much water you need to keep it slick, Cremo is definitely slick. I would rather be able to see where the Cremo is on my face when I shave as sometimes it disappears. The show stopper for me is how it gunks up your razor (especially on my Merkur 37c). I wind up using a a Q-tip to get most of the outside gunk off the razor and then have to take the entire razor apart and wipe down the parts/brush down the parts to get the Cremo and stubble out of the razor and off the blade. The stuff does not rinse off the razor even with hot water (or at least it didn't for me). I guess it served its purpose as it bought me time while I waited for my Lucky Tiger liquid shave cream to arrive.

I will keep the Cremo around and try it out as a super lather component, but I don't plan to buy it again. The scent was nice.

This is an excellent cream. To use effectively, you must follow the instructions on the back of the tube. Note: this will not later well in a bowl the way Proraso does. However, if you apply hot water to your face and use your fingers to work an almond sized amount of cream into your beard, you can face lather very well with a brush thereafter (although it works fine brushless as well). I use a 24mm badger brush with this cream and it holds enough residual cream for three passes. Very slick stuff.

I'm actually starting to see Cremo pop up in more and more stores. The Meijer in my town has been carrying it for a little over a year and there's never more than a tube or two on the shelf. IDK, if that's due to popularity or Meijer just never stocking more than a few at a time.

Also noticed a tube at the Rite Aid right around the corner from me. Again, just one lonely tube, but that's better than not carrying it at all.

This stuff is my go-to when I'm in a hurry. Of course, I prefer a nice relaxing lather with a good soap, but on those mornings when I just simply don't have enough time it's Cremo that gets the job done. Like other's have said, it doesn't really lather, but is super slick if you keep wetting down your face.

I've tried a lot of lathering shave soaps and I recently tried "Cremo" shave soap and I'M really impressed. I use a vintage Schick injector razor or a vintage Gillette DE. It is one of the slickest shaves soaps i have ever used. I use an almond size dollop to cover my whole face. I can very easily do three passes with one application and the last pass is just as slick and smooth as the first pass. I think I'M giving up on lather shave soaps.

Top Bottom