What's new

Replating and restoring services for UK folk

Hi Folks, I've been a member here for over 15 years but haven't posted much. I wanted to share some information for those who want to breathe life back into worn out razors.

I have just had a batch of four Gillettes (2 Fatboys and two Slims) back from Dave Glynn (B&B member onotoman) who formally operated as Restored Razors here in the North East of England and in my opinion, his work is still the best out there. I wanted to post here to reassure folk how easy it was to benefit from Dave's services even though he has now relocated to New Zealand and has started the Auckland Razor Company.

I first started sending my vintage Gillettes to Dave back in 2012 when I discovered Fatboy's. At the time, the wet shaving scene in the UK was much quieter and less popular than it is now. I was immediately impressed with the quality of the work which was unsurprising considering his reputation, not only did the razors look very pretty but they were presented wrapped in soft tissue and protected in individual plastic boxes. On arrival, they were well lubricated, fully serviceable and shave ready. Not long after that, Dave moved to the other side of the world and so I began trying out other razor restorers in Europe.

I am not judging any of the newer kids on the block as it it is great to see this industry growing and I must caveat this post by admitting that there are many razor-guys out there whom I haven't tried. I had been disappointed a number of times by uneven blade gaps, imperfections in the finish or squeaky mechanisms etc. With nothing other than good will and respect for all shaving businesses and enthusiasts, I simply wanted to share that when I sourced a Fatboy and a Slim recently which I planned to gift to my teenage son as his first razors, I wanted him to have the best so I decided to look Dave up and ask if he is still taking on work from the UK. In the end, I sent four razors (including a black chrome Fatboy Dave did for me in 2013, which just needed a lubrication service and a check over) and it cost me about £12 in postage. It took a few months for me to get the razors back but the comms from Dave were as good as ever. When the razors came back, the results were as good as ever and were packaged in the same way as ten years ago. Dave's prices are very, very reasonable and the quality of the results is unsurpassed. If like me, you hadn't used Dave since he moved away, don't let it put you off, it was very straight forward and I'm certainly glad I took the plunge. PS, the Black Chrome finish is amazing!

Attachments

• tempImager1CDH0.png
    tempImager1CDH0.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 34
  • tempImageBRc90B.png
    tempImageBRc90B.png
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • tempImageUhv4Dn.png
    tempImageUhv4Dn.png
    6 MB · Views: 27
  • tempImagegIG6RH.png
    tempImagegIG6RH.png