What's new

Shaving Slickness Issues

So I’ve noticed that I get considerably less irritation by shaving with a slicker shave cream and the during/post shave experience is just much better for me.
I’ve heard many good things about Proraso white so I bought the soap tub and no matter what consistency of lather I tried, it just isn’t slick. I got razor bumps, and irritation around my adams apple area (my problem spot). When I use something like cremo the experience is night/day my shave is irritation free.

Am I doing something wrong? I know a lot of guys who use the Proraso with amazing results.

Also what is something that will give me more of a thin lubricated layer on my skin that’s of better quality than cremo? Ive gathered that cremo seems to be somewhat disliked for quality.

For both tests I was using a D-3 Gillette Fatboy with Gillette platinum blades on the same setting.

Last edited:
I've never used Proraso white, but I've had great results with the green. How much of the Proraso are you using the build your lather? I get my best results with Proraso when I use a bit more of it than what I've heard described by most people. I usually squirt about a 2 in. long strip from the tube. Overall though, I'd say I get better results from a shave soap instead of the cream. If you're looking for a recommendation for a good soap that isn't too expensive, I think it'd be difficult to do much better than the old Tabac with tallow in it. It's very slick and protective.

You need to use a lot of soap and a lot of water. If you are used to creams, you will need to add a lot more water than what you're accustomed to.

Try the Marco method. It can work well with Proraso in the tub.

I think the best approach is to experiment with the amount of water in the lather. Less water in the lather generally means more cushion, and that sounds like what DMAN1213 is looking for. But he should experiment with the water content to find out what he prefers.

I think the best approach is to experiment with the amount of water in the lather. Less water in the lather generally means more cushion, and that sounds like what DMAN1213 is looking for. But he should experiment with the water content to find out what he prefers.
Cushion is a myth, IMHO. Why would you even want a barrier between the blade and skin if you want a close shave? If you are scraping yourself with the razor, that is a technique issue. Slickness is what is needed.

Cushion is a myth, IMHO. Why would you even want a barrier between the blade and skin if you want a close shave? If you are scraping yourself with the razor, that is a technique issue. Slickness is what is needed.
I'm sure everyone has their own opinion. But in my experience, cushion is not a myth and more cushion will tend to reduce irritation. And as more water is added to lather, there's less cushion. I think it's very good advice to experiment in order to figure out preferences because different people do differ and building a lather that is appropriate for an individual is all part of one's technique.

So I’ve noticed that I get considerably less irritation by shaving with a slicker shave cream and the during/post shave experience is just much better for me.
I’ve heard many good things about Proraso white so I bought the soap tub and no matter what consistency of lather I tried, it just isn’t slick. I got razor bumps, and irritation around my adams apple area (my problem spot). When I use something like cremo the experience is night/day my shave is irritation free.

Am I doing something wrong? I know a lot of guys who use the Proraso with amazing results.

Also what is something that will give me more of a thin lubricated layer on my skin that’s of better quality than cremo? Ive gathered that cremo seems to be somewhat disliked for quality.

For both tests I was using a D-3 Gillette Fatboy with Gillette platinum blades on the same setting.
When I taught myself how to shave with a straight razor, I found that the lather I had been using when shaving with a double edge razor was not slick enough... the straight razor would 'grab' and 'stick' instead of gliding over the skin like it was supposed to. The remedy was to add more water to my lather and incorporate it a little longer, which made that pillowy, fluffy lather more wet, dense, yogurt-like and much slicker than it was before.

I lathered some Proraso to give you an example. The first photo is a lather that I find very slick. It's how I prefer it whether I'm using a straight or a safety razor. The second photo is showing a lather that is more airy and less dense, and thus, less effective. After all, oxygen is not very slippery. :)

Why don't you try using a more dense, wetter lather for a week, and see how things go. Good luck!
IMG_2894.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG

When I taught myself how to shave with a straight razor, I found that the lather I had been using when shaving with a double edge razor was not slick enough... the straight razor would 'grab' and 'stick' instead of gliding over the skin like it was supposed to. The remedy was to add more water to my lather and incorporate it a little longer, which made that pillowy, fluffy lather more wet, dense, yogurt-like and much slicker than it was before.

I lathered some Proraso to give you an example. The first photo is a lather that I find very slick. It's how I prefer it whether I'm using a straight or a safety razor. The second photo is showing a lather that is more airy and less dense, and thus, less effective. After all, oxygen is not very slippery. :)

Why don't you try using a more dense, wetter lather for a week, and see how things go. Good luck!
Thanks for the input and photo comparison.
I did try making a wetter lather before and also a thicker lather with more soap only for it to still drag. I absolutely will give it my best shot again though and I will update on my results.

some people found (quite ironically) that they are sensitive to some of the ingredients in proraso white which aren't present in their other creams. Personally, I find proraso to be a mediocre performer at best and is probably on par with cremo performance wise if it is anything like the brushless products we have here in Australia. I found that I needed to use quite a lot of soap and not too much water to get a nice shave. Take some time to experiment and dial it in, rule of thumb for me is that it should be wet enough to rub my finger on my lathered up face without actually removing any of the lather.

Okay some people found (quite ironically) that they are sensitive to some of the ingredients in proraso white which aren't present in their other creams. Personally, I find proraso to be a mediocre performer at best and is probably on par with cremo performance wise if it is anything like the brushless products we have here in Australia. I found that I needed to use quite a lot of soap and not too much water to get a nice shave. Take some time to experiment and dial it in, rule of thumb for me is that it should be wet enough to rub my finger on my lathered up face without actually removing any of the lather.

So last night I took about 3 times the amount of Proraso shave soap I’d normally use and lathered it in my cup with my badger brush, good amount of pressured swirls, fanning the brush out in the cup, I got a really nice thick lather. I did notice a difference and the shave was better, however it did start to dry around my lips rather quickly. Problem is If I added more water it got slightly more harsh, taking away that slickness. So what you said I can concur with. “Quite a lot of soap and not too much water to get a nice shave.”

Id rate the experience a 6.5/10 because I didn’t really enjoy how thick the lather had to be for it to get slick and it dried out pretty quickly.

I’m still honing in on finding the right mix but so far it seems to be… meh.

My thoughts exactly. I was all about the lather and cushion but a thinner layer works best for me now.

Reactions: CCS
So last night I took about 3 times the amount of Proraso shave soap I’d normally use and lathered it in my cup with my badger brush, good amount of pressured swirls, fanning the brush out in the cup, I got a really nice thick lather. I did notice a difference and the shave was better, however it did start to dry around my lips rather quickly. Problem is If I added more water it got slightly more harsh, taking away that slickness. So what you said I can concur with. “Quite a lot of soap and not too much water to get a nice shave.”

Id rate the experience a 6.5/10 because I didn’t really enjoy how thick the lather had to be for it to get slick and it dried out pretty quickly.

It sounds like you may like a more cushiony lather that contains less water. That would make sense to me since most of the prepared shaving stuff like Cremo usually has a lot of cushion. If you'd like to prevent the drying problem, work the lather up longer with your brush to make it thicker so it looks like the lather you see in a lot of the pictures and YouTube videos. Then put that thicker layer on your face so it's at least a quarter inch thick, or more. That thicker layer will prevent the lather from drying out so quickly. Give it a try and you might be surprised what works for you.

Why not try face lathering? Building lather in the cup is an extra step and gives more opportunity for a mistake, more time for it to dry out. Start by loading your very damp brush with soap, paint on a layer of soap paste to the beard. Now, add water onto the brush gradually in two or three stages, just a bit at a time, building lather on the face until you get a lather that is slick, protective and does not dry out. Your brush acts as a reservoir for lather on subsequent shaving passes.

I've found the Van Der Hagen (VDH) Shave Butter is slicker than the Cremo brand "Classic," (red top) shave cream. The VDH is thicker, and doesn't wash off as easily. I can feel that it's still on my skin after I pass by with the razor.

My whiskers grow in multiple directions, so I have to work on the different areas of my face by changing the direction of the passes I make with the razor to get an even shave, this takes time. In that time I can feel the Cremo dry out just a bit. When I add a few drops of water the Cremo can thin out more than I like. It seems to have a narrower range, (the Goldielocks range,) where the razor glides better. With the VDH I can add a bit more water and it doesn't thin down as much as the Cremo, it stays in that Goldielocks range longer.

Both are available at my local WalMart.

The down side, you won't need your shave mug or brush with either.

1ED1F65F-6127-46F9-84BE-42B666FA7A5C.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

I was doing some research on Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and sometimes a thicker lather works the best for protection. I bought some just a few days ago because I like a challenge and this soap has been around for over 100 yrs and it is maybe not for everyone but when mastered it provides good protection. Avoid if you are allergic to lanolin is my understanding.
Tony Esposito knows shaving knowledge and often shaves with a straight razor and he tells a person how to use this soap and I have found thicker lather works very well for certain soap.
Straight razors and Shavettes are the ultimate test for any soap and these fellows do not fool around with soaps and buy quality for slickness for blade edge protection IMO. There are lots of soaps that offer excellent protection.
Have some great shaves!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You need to use a lot of soap and a lot of water. If you are used to creams, you will need to add a lot more water than what you're accustomed to.

Try the Marco method. It can work well with Proraso in the tub.

I think I've heard about that...

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion. But in my experience, cushion is not a myth and more cushion will tend to reduce irritation. And as more water is added to lather, there's less cushion...
This is my experience as well. As a daily shaver I need that cushioning protective film that some shaving products can deliver.
In my opinion, cushion is not a myth. This concept has been proven in many studies.
If you care to read about this:
The biomechanics of blade shaving

LUBRICATION OF THE RAZOR CARTRIDGE/SKIN CONTACT

I believe in the elastohydrodynamic film being, to some degree, protective and help reduce irritation.
Your observation that "as more water is added to lather, there's less cushion." is correct, in my opinion.

In my experience, all shaving products are slick, but very few offer enough protection for a comfortable daily shave.

So many people attribute cuts and nicks to one particular blade (more or less sharp) or razor (more or less aggressive) when the real culprit is poor lather.

Oh well...

Top Bottom