What's new

A Tale of Two Cyril R. Salter Shaving Creams

While generally a shaving soap user I've recently purchased a few shaving creams including the Wild Rose and French Vetiver from Cyril R. Salter. Both of these creams deliver excellent core shaving performance that includes easy lathering, great slickness and nice stability. What was surprising is that the scent strength and cream texture were very different between these two creams. The Wild Rose has a pleasant but very mild scent in the jar that is not detectable in the lather while the Vetiver scent, while also pleasant (if you like Vetiver), is much stronger with a nice jar aroma that carries through to the lather at a perfect level.

Given identical ingredients, except for those used for scent, it was surprising that the Wild Rose and Vetiver textures were very different. The Vetiver is much softer with the consistency of a true cream. The Wild Rose has a consistency that is much firmer and very similar to my Proraso Red croap. The Vetiver jar weighed in at 9.7 ounces when new compared to 8.7 ounces for the Wild Rose (gross weight including the container).

Based on many post out there I was expecting the Vetiver to potentially put my Tabac scent to shame and was pleasantly surprised that, while strong, it was no where near the intensity of Tabac's scent (when first opened). Instead it was at just the right level both in the jar and at the naturally milder level in the lather.

Cyril Salter jars are double hulled to better preserve the product. Cream is in a clear container that is within the blue outside plastic jar that would look good in any shave den.

Pictures linked below of the jars (both opened and closed). In the comparison of the open jars you can see the softer texture and what looks like a higher moisture content (glistens more) in the Vetiver.

Bottom line is that I would recommend both creams for their excellent core shaving performance at just 8 GBP/roughly $10 U.S. from Connaught. Extra credit to the Vetiver as it really delivers in the area of scent. Wild Rose is fine for those who prefer the milder scent. These are two of seven scents offered by Cyril R. Salter.

Last edited:
I have a tub of the Indian Sandalwood with samples of Essential Lime, Wild Rose and Sublime Citrus on the way.

Not sure if its the ingredients as I have the French Vetiver and it is more like a croap.

Excellent review. I have and enjoy the CRS Sublime Citrus.
An excellent cream. I agree on your lather notes.
Enjoy.

I have a tub of the Indian Sandalwood with samples of Essential Lime, Wild Rose and Sublime Citrus on the way.

Not sure if its the ingredients as I have the French Vetiver and it is more like a croap.
Cyril R. Salter may have some production quality consistency issues around scent intensity and texture. Have see a lot of reviews of Wild Rose, for example, that vary from great scent to almost no scent at all. The good news is that the core shaving performance is consistently excellent. I also have some of their shaving soap that I'll use once I 3017 something in my existing rotation. Exact same base as the D.R. Harris of which I have a Windsor scent soap also waiting in the wings. Recent crash of the British Pound (mostly back up now) was a great buying opportunity.

Top Bottom