What's new

Shaving Slickness Issues

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
In my experience, all shaving products are slick, but very few offer enough protection for a comfortable daily shave.

So many people attribute cuts and nicks to one particular blade (more or less sharp) or razor (more or less aggressive) when the real culprit is poor lather.

Oh well...
Interesting. Of course poor lather helps nobody, but I've always attributed nicks and cuts to poor technique. But I agree that poor lather reduces cushion and makes it easier for poor technique to produce blood.

Back when I used creams for my daily 3 pass shave I found very satisfactory results from Castle Forbes and Ultimate Comfort. They were very easy to lather.

A slick lather is more often than not a result of loading enough soap in your brush and adding enough water while building your lather.

The brush you use will also play a role as some are better than others at the lather games.

The moment I understood that blade's purpose is to cut and lather's purpose is to protect was the moment I stopped having weepers. Cuts and nicks are a very distant memory, connected to the brief period of time when I used cartridges.
Removing the safety nets provided by the development of modern cartridges made me appreciate the control I have when shaving the traditional way. Which for me, at my age, is wet shaving with brush/soap/double edge safety razor.
The purpose of the brush is to create lather and release trapped hairs that are so prevalent on the neck area.

...I’ve heard many good things about Proraso white so I bought the soap tub and no matter what consistency of lather I tried, it just isn’t slick...
I had the same experience with Proraso white. I used a tub in 2017:

2017 Shaving products_s.jpg

My observation at that time was that it was difficult to obtain lather that provided residual slickness. This is important if one uses multiple consecutive strokes in the same area (a technique reminiscent of the cartridge use, much like the "dog scratch" as someone described it years ago). It took me much of the first half of this soap to finally figure it out and it was a frustrating experience. I did manage to get decent lather for a decent shave and I really liked the scent. If you continue to use this soap try focusing on shaving with fewer consecutive strokes in the same area and assess from there.
I did not have the same issues with the other Proraso products. Quite the opposite, I consider Proraso green and red excellent products.

...I got razor bumps, and irritation around my adams apple area (my problem spot)...
Neck area is difficult for all of us. I discovered that using an exfoliant and/or using a brush helps reducing, if not eliminating, the trapped hair problem. See Insights into shaving and its impact on skin

...Ive gathered that cremo seems to be somewhat disliked for quality...
I used Cremo cream twice and didn't like it at all. It is quite possible I didn't try hard enough. The cream is now delegated to leg shaving in ladies bathroom...
As a general rule, don't take everything said here as gospel.

...Also what is something that will give me more of a thin lubricated layer on my skin that’s of better quality than cremo?...
It is your journey, after all. Lucky, because we live in a time of plenty, when it comes to shaving. Belonging to this forum is the beginning to enlightenment, so enjoy the ride...

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Am I doing something wrong? I know a lot of guys who use the Proraso with amazing results.

Also what is something that will give me more of a thin lubricated layer on my skin that’s of better quality than cremo? Ive gathered that cremo seems to be somewhat disliked for quality.

For both tests I was using a D-3 Gillette Fatboy with Gillette platinum blades on the same setting.

Not sure if your looking for a new good slick soap but all I do is peel off a few slices and press it in the bowl and not problem and the soap works very well and for pickups is when I do hand feel and the soap offers lots of slickness.
Sunday shave, OCtober 3rd 2022

Razor : Yaqi adjustable "The final cut"- excellent adjustable razor, well built and a great Gibbs 1930's design but this razor takes regular standard Gillette blades which is ideal, very enjoyable + affordable for most folks who have or like to shave IMO.
Blade : Gillette Nacet (3), sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities. Triple milled and lasts a long time IMO.
Brush : Yaqi Red Zebra 26mm snow Leopard synthetic knot:001_wub:, Excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi TFC with a Gillette Nacet blade.
SOTD October 2 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

In my experience, all shaving products are slick, but very few offer enough protection for a comfortable daily shave.

So many people attribute cuts and nicks to one particular blade (more or less sharp) or razor (more or less aggressive) when the real culprit is poor lather.

Oh well...
problem is that it can be hard to tell the difference. They do certainly all play a part and depending on someones preferences are the culprit. I think it just takes some time to dial in on what we like and what our face likes. These don't have to be the same unfortunately.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion. But in my experience, cushion is not a myth and more cushion will tend to reduce irritation. And as more water is added to lather, there's less cushion. I think it's very good advice to experiment in order to figure out preferences because different people do differ and building a lather that is appropriate for an individual is all part of one's technique.
Let's all remember what the purpose of shave soap is. It is designed to hold water against the face while shaving so the water is in essence a lubricant. Straight razor shavers prefer a wetter lather so the blade, which is much larger, can easily plow through the whiskers. In any event. the wetness of the lather is very dependent on the brand of soap, amount of water added, and personal preference.

Top Bottom