What's new

Cracking the coticule code

Coticules are, IMO, the best barometer of honing chops but to answer the question, in order to crack the Coticule Code you have to first figure out how you want to use it and what you’re looking to achieve. One stone honing on a Coticule as opposed to using it in a progression will definitely alter your approach. I find going 1, 3, 6, 8K and finishing a coticule more efficient, not that there is anything wrong with one stone honing.

Take a look at that edge, it appears to have a slight frown and it looks like it has been honed on the stabilizer and tang.
Reprofiling the heel will move the heel corner away from the stabilizer and allow the whole razor to sit flat on the stone.
The excessive spine wear at the toe and frown are also indicators of honing on the stabilizer.

Some 600 and a wine cork will clean up the razor belly and tang easily to a satin finish, 1k will polish it further.
Bottom line reprofiling the heel, a 5-minute fix will allow you to hone the razor much easier.

I get that it is a beater, but those are the ones to learn on.

(HEEL CORRECTION – REPROFILING Made easy.)

IMG_3982-3.jpg

Coticules are, IMO, the best barometer of honing chops but to answer the question, in order to crack the Coticule Code you have to first figure out how you want to use it and what you’re looking to achieve. One stone honing on a Coticule as opposed to using it in a progression will definitely alter your approach. I find going 1, 3, 6, 8K and finishing a coticule more efficient, not that there is anything wrong with one stone honing.
I love the idea of a one stone solution. And I have (finally) been able to do that on all my coticules. Bevel set to finish. However, if I had to do some serious bevel work like repairing a chip or something, I'd use a synth for that

Top Bottom