What's new

Corona Virus - Anyone Else Monitoring It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The corona virus does seem to be spreading quickly and is showing up across the globe. How much deadlier is it than the “standard” flu?

It's sort of a supercold rather than the flu. Different class of virus. That despite it being dubbed the Wuflu some days back.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Keep in mind that these are confirmed cases. There was around 11,000 more sick but who were not yet confirmed to have the virus. Thus a lot of what we're seeing could also be speed in processing and reporting, and not necessarily rate of spread. Also keep in mind the virus could have a two week incubation period, so there could be those infected who are not yet showing symptoms. So, even if no one else contracts the virus from this moment on, the number of confirmed cases will continue to climb for a while.

Yeah. An incubation period, stated by the CDC, as between 2 and 14 days and now asymptomatic spread has been shown in Germany.

I did....had gloves on...and tossed all packing....so rash that I had to recover a head in the bin....outside.
Virus isn't supposed to live long on surfaces...so who knows how long since it was packed....I guess: wait 14d...

If anyone's worried, just "quarantine" the package a few days before opening.

You're dealing with the Chinese propaganda machine here.
No matter what number they throw out, you can be it's much much worse over there.
They've basically locked down around 60 million people.
Unprecedented.

The mask situation is ridiculous in places like Thailand, Singapore etc. Basically
the Chinese mainlanders who work or live there have bought up all the stock and
mailed it back home. Leaving locals with nada.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You're dealing with the Chinese propaganda machine here.
No matter what number they throw out, you can be it's much much worse over there.
They've basically locked down around 60 million people.
Unprecedented.

The mask situation is ridiculous in places like Thailand, Singapore etc. Basically
the Chinese mainlanders who work or live there have bought up all the stock and
mailed it back home. Leaving locals with nada.

I think its likely more widespread than is being reported but I dont think theres any reason for worry or panic.

The mask situation is even starting to go a bit sideways here in Canada where we now have 4 confirmed cases.

Amid worry about coronavirus, masks are in short supply at Toronto retailers | The Star - https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/01/31/amid-worry-about-coronavirus-masks-are-in-short-supply-at-toronto-retailers.html

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Do those N95 type masks really help limit viral transmission? I seem to remember during one of the previous outbreaks, some discussion that those masks don't really do much anyway.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
From the CDC.

Screenshot_2020-02-01 Infection Control Novel Coronavirus 2019 (2019-nCoV) CDC.png

I don’t know how well they protect, but it’s the best they can do for now.

on average, a person apparently goes through 2-3 masks per day. Multiply that by the number of people needing them and things go off the rails very quickly.

8200 died from the flu last year in the USA

The Corona virus is just getting started. It has a higher transmission rate than the flu. The average person with the Corona virus gives it to 4.1 people. With the flu, it's about 2.8. We will need to wait to see what the real numbers are.

Meanwhile, I'm glad I stocked up on Williams and blades.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I went on a quick search of N95 masks effectiveness against viral transmission and found this...

Effectiveness of N95 respirators versus surgical masks in protecting health care workers from acute respiratory infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4868605/

I guess they're better than nothing. Eyes should be protected as well as mouth & nose.

Edit: Also I just queried AMZN for disposable N95 masks. Currently there are none available with Prime shipping (looks like they sold out)

8200 died from the flu last year in the USA

Perhaps, but that's not the total story. What was the mortality rate? One article I saw this week argued influenza was worse, citing 8,100 or 8,200 deaths in the US last year, but also cited 15 million cases. That gives us about one death per 1,830 cases. Or call it about 0.05%.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I am beginning to get irritated about the ratio of hype to useful advice. I have tried to find what the advice is of you catch coronavirus, but everything seems to be about preventing transmission.

The NHS usually give information about what to do if you become ill with a particular condition.

Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/wuhan-novel-coronavirus/

This link is unhelpful about assisting recovery or even at what point you should be going to hospital. Which is pretty dumb really because it risks people involving health services too early and overwhelming them.

There is even a lack of symptoms listed. Though you can find them in the WHO reports.

I assume you should treat the illness like any other viral flu : fluids and reduce tremporature.

More detail on transmission :
Advice for public - https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

As it is a virus the antibacterial hand sanitisers won't do much good, the alcohol based ones would provide more protection, the higher the better.

This at least starts to talk about when to seak advice :

What to do if you are sick with 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/steps-when-sick.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Its not easy getting into the habit of being vigilant in regards to preventing the spread of such things. For the last 2-3 years I've made a point of not touching my face: eyes, nose, mouth, ears, after I've gone out grocery shopping or whatever until I get back home. The first thing I do when I come in the door is wash my hands well with soap and hot water.

We're so use to touching our faces during the normal course of a day that when you really try not to, its surprising how often you actually do. Being vigilant is the best defense.

The infectiousness nor the mortality of the novel Cornoavirus are especially severe.

There are some 12.000 recognized infected persons in total. More than 99.9% of all nCorV19 cases are in China. The growth per day is still strong but not exponential. With people now traveling less from, to and within China the epidemic will likely stay contained and the epidemic should come to an end within a month or so. An analysis from the Chinese media house Caixin provides the newest numbers. The declining growth rate proves that the extraordinary quarantine measure China has taken are effective. New test kits have been developed and approved by the Chinese regulator NMPA. These kits allow patients to be tested within 30 minutes. Those who have flu can now be distinguished quickly from those who have caught the Coronavirus.

My wife's been following this stuff quite closely, looking at highly respected sources of info (e.g The Lancet: https://www.thelancet.com/coronavirus for a list of in depth articles) and of course the deluge of Youtube videos, which range from level headed and scholarly to.. well let's just say "less scholarly". Much of it is well out of my comprehension range, but as a software engineer I do know how quickly a problem with an exponential component can get out of hand. Additionally my feeling is that the calming signals currently going out on the (domestic UK) mainstream media channels don't square up with the hardcore and no doubt financially very damaging measures apparently being taken in China. They surely wouldn't be going at this so hard if it was just a particularly infectious case of the sniffles.

Regardless, I'm taking some steps that seem sensible: washing my hands or using sanitizing wipes regularly when handling things that other people have handled (e.g. when I shop or visit the gym) and refraining from faceturbation, even if I've had a really good shave :)

We've also built up a little stock of water, food and other essentials. I'm not a prepper by nature, but this was recommended recently by the government, and if this thing does get bad it makes sense to have the option to minimize the need to shop. Even if the virus itself is not a great threat, panic and over-reaction could be. I also think we'll see significant interruption in the supply of various things - obviously anything that is manufactured/processed in China will suffer - but there could also be indirect disruption, as most things seemed to be globally intertwined these days, e.g. domestic production plants that use equipment/materials sourced from China.

Seeing that the virus has made it to Egypt I've also ordered up a fresh 100 pack of my favorite blades - Lord Silver Star :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom