What's new

Corned Beef 2019

IMG953563.jpg

Just saw this thread. Very nice corned beefs!

I prefer mine as a Reuben sandwich. Cabbage is better as sauerkraut IMO. Pair it with a half sour pickle! [emoji1786]

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine came out very nice -- cooked it a bit too long so it tended to shred when cut, can fix that next time. A little less spice mix, it was a little too much juniper for me, but it was all eaten up without complaint!

I'll be doing this again soon.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Mine came out very nice -- cooked it a bit too long so it tended to shred when cut, can fix that next time. A little less spice mix, it was a little too much juniper for me, but it was all eaten up without complaint!

I'll be doing this again soon.
I needed more spice.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Mine came out cooked just as I like it. I started checking at 2.5 hours, and it was getting there but still too tough--rubber bands running through the meat. I just kept checking about every half hour and, once it was very close, just cut the oven and let it coast for a while.

I probably might have used a touch more spice, myself. I rushed my brine preparation, and it could just be that my bay leaves are old. It's still mighty good, and the real test comes today when cold leftovers come out. I still have half the flat and all the point. :001_smile

Now that I've worked out a good brining vessel and a good space for it, I'm definitely keeping an eye out for cheap brisket prices. This really was too easy. After everything was in the dutch oven and cooking away, I realized that I should have taken some of it and worked it into pastrami. Lessons learned!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You Irish guys overcook your food more than us Jews (but it looks friggin great).

Made my second batch today. Two more briskets still squirreled away in the fridge.

Hey, with a kid away at school and a vegetarian wife, it lasts a lot longer than it used to.
Well, your people gave our people the idea of corned beef. Thank you.

Yep low and slow is the way to go for brisket- no matter how you do it. My two were in the braise for 5.5 hours averaging 250 degrees.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I didn’t let it cook enough.

I actually wondered that when you posted that pic. It didn't look like it was falling apart, which is more the sign of overcooking.

My two were in the braise for 5.5 hours averaging 250 degrees.

I cooked mine at 275, and that was too high. Temperature-wise, it finished in only about 4 hours (too quickly), but it wasn't done. That's why I gave it a long coast in the oven, which saved it. Next time, I'll just go 250 from the start and do it right.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Last night's dinner was corned beef with all the trimmings- cabbage, carrots, potatoes, soda bread, the usual.

Breakfast today was corned beef and potato hash (another great use for black steel pans) covered with runny eggs.

Lunch today way a corned beef Reuben with kraut and Gruyere.

So, by now you're asking what's for dinner? Answer- ABC, anything but corned beef. I decided to stop in Chitown on the way in to work and pick up a light snack.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
l.jpg
images.jpg
2280272_os06UVSjysDkrgB69WZ8aN1Uw4TsoG3bm3Sit4QE9t0.jpg
ling-kee-beef-jerky.jpg

I'm currently negotiating with them to create corned beef jerky. Anyone speak Malaysian?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A corned beef brisket doesn't last very long with two high school aged boys in the house. One of them just ran off with the last of the flat, a chunk that had to be about a pound. We've already gotten into the point. It might live to see Thursday, but I wouldn't bet the rent on that.

I might be doing more of this sooner than I thought!

Top Bottom