What's new

Contest -Three Winners Will Be Selected

Something that really bothers me, that I want to believe has been a "change" from decades past, is people's use of vocabulary.

When in the hell did "cause" take the place of "because"? Each word is very real and has a very different meaning. I swear! This one really grinds my gears.

I knew as a young man that it meant something to me to pay attention to the meaning of words and to use them correctly. Not only does it demonstrate intelligence but it also feels good. Now that I'm older, I'm glad I did pay that attention, but in a way, it's been a curse, because otherwise, I wouldn't have this gripe.

Nowadays every (emotionally ambiguous) text conversation is ruled by how fast (I mean lazily) people can get their point across. This happens no matter how many assumptions are required by the recipient to interpret the dialog.

All I see are abbreviations and chopped-up words that aren't actually words. There just made up. Some examples are "dunno", "init", and "neways". Then there's the use of "of" instead of "have". Should of, no. Should have, yes! There's also the overuse of "literally" which is meant to be an embellishment to intensify whatever someone is trying to say. The correct word to use is "Actually". Yeah, I know. Groundbreaking.

Another frustration is how every name for something be it a company or a product has to have its own unique special spelling so that it stands out and (they think) looks cool. It really gets on my nerves. It's like marketing teams naming conventions are ruled by phonetics. I honestly don't like it. It makes things sound dumb instead of cool to me.

I believe some/most of these issues came from the proliferation of cell phones and in turn, text messaging. Remember when people used to actually call each other and talk? I don't even think cell phones should be called phones anymore with the aversion people have to talking. At the end of the day I believe all this texting is hurting more than it's helping.

Anyway, that's my piece and I'm sticking to it. You can all ignore me and go about your business now. Or should I say shaves?
I understand your main point, and I sympathize with it for the most part. However, from what I've been told by my (much smarter and more accomplished) linguist friends, not only does language evolve but words also change meaning over time. I was given the (apocryphal?) anecdote of Queen Elizabeth having found a Shakespeare drama to be amusing. She didn't mean that she found it funny; rather, she was highly praising the play and meant she believed Shakespeare had been touched by the muses.

Speaking of language evolving, Shakespeare also invented a number of words and phrases with his plays. But he's not alone, the English language is rife with neologisms from every era. Some words are even borrowed from writers in other languages (e.g., "Quixotic"). Then there are words borrowed entirely from other languages (e.g., "tsar," "tsunami," "typhoon," "tycoon").

As for "dunno," etc., that's just part of American vernacular. Heck, Mark Twain, the founder of American literature wrote the first true American novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, in the vernacular, capturing numerous dialects in the process. Surely, you don't mean to suggest that his writing was the result of texting! 😁

While I would also prefer it if other people adhered to the same formal rules of language I learned in my youth as well as maintained the same definitions for words as those I learned, I've come to accept that will never be. In fact, maybe it shouldn't be. Language needs to adapt to the changes in society. Some scholars even believe that language helps shape the way people think about and even how they observe the world around them*. Limiting linguistic evolution could very well stymie advancements and progress in society.

*As someone who is multilingual, I'm bemused by the backlash against the pronoun preferences espoused by those who are non-binary. This is only an issue in languages that have binary gendered pronouns. However, not all languages do. For instance, in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, there is no separate word for "he" or "she;" rather, the same pronoun is used for both genders. But with English (and the other Romance languages), gendered pronouns make people acknowledge or assume one another's (or their own) gender as a rule.

I understand your main point, and I sympathize with it for the most part. However, from what I've been told by my (much smarter and more accomplished) linguist friends, not only does language evolve but words also change meaning over time. I was given the (apocryphal?) anecdote of Queen Elizabeth having found a Shakespeare drama to be amusing. She didn't mean that she found it funny; rather, she was highly praising the play and meant she believed Shakespeare had been touched by the muses.

Speaking of language evolving, Shakespeare also invented a number of words and phrases with his plays. But he's not alone, the English language is rife with neologisms from every era. Some words are even borrowed from writers in other languages (e.g., "Quixotic"). Then there are words borrowed entirely from other languages (e.g., "tsar," "tsunami," "typhoon," "tycoon").

As for "dunno," etc., that's just part of American vernacular. Heck, Mark Twain, the founder of American literature wrote the first true American novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, in the vernacular, capturing numerous dialects in the process. Surely, you don't mean to suggest that his writing was the result of texting! 😁

While I would also prefer it if other people adhered to the same formal rules of language I learned in my youth as well as maintained the same definitions for words as those I learned, I've come to accept that will never be. In fact, maybe it shouldn't be. Language needs to adapt to the changes in society. Some scholars even believe that language helps shape the way people think about and even how they observe the world around them*. Limiting linguistic evolution could very well stymie advancements and progress in society.

*As someone who is multilingual, I'm bemused by the backlash against the pronoun preferences espoused by those who are non-binary. This is only an issue in languages that have binary gendered pronouns. However, not all languages do. For instance, in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, there is no separate word for "he" or "she;" rather, the same pronoun is used for both genders. But with English (and the other Romance languages), gendered pronouns make people acknowledge or assume one another's (or their own) gender as a rule.
Thank you for your response. I genuinely appreciate it.

I should clarify that I don't wish for an absence of evolution for language. I completely agree with you that the living nature of language serves, arguably, a positive purposes. I just can't stand that there seems to be this acceptance of misuse or dare I say, a lack of education.

I know not everyone gets the same education or even has the same abilities. It's just that these days it seems like people can get away with anything and it's just accepted. I'm not pushing for the extreme on the other end of the spectrum, but where's the middle ground?

Thanks for educating me on languages without gendered pronouns. I can't help but think how that simplicity of identity in language goes a long way to both help eliminate backlash against gendered pronouns but also has a way to subconsciously facilitate acceptance of others that are different from ones self. When there is no he or she, there is just they. I like that.

Keeping it in the "shaving world" I would have to cite the freedom we used to have to travel with razors and blades in our carry on luggage. As we all know, these items are now required to be in checked luggage. The issue with that is, if your luggage is lost it would force one to shave with a disposable, and the canned stuff they call shaving cream, until your luggage is found.

Something that really bothers me, that I want to believe has been a "change" from decades past, is people's use of vocabulary.

When in the hell did "cause" take the place of "because"? Each word is very real and has a very different meaning. I swear! This one really grinds my gears.

I knew as a young man that it meant something to me to pay attention to the meaning of words and to use them correctly. Not only does it demonstrate intelligence but it also feels good. Now that I'm older, I'm glad I did pay that attention, but in a way, it's been a curse, because otherwise, I wouldn't have this gripe.

Nowadays every (emotionally ambiguous) text conversation is ruled by how fast (I mean lazily) people can get their point across. This happens no matter how many assumptions are required by the recipient to interpret the dialog.

All I see are abbreviations and chopped-up words that aren't actually words. There just made up. Some examples are "dunno", "init", and "neways". Then there's the use of "of" instead of "have". Should of, no. Should have, yes! There's also the overuse of "literally" which is meant to be an embellishment to intensify whatever someone is trying to say. The correct word to use is "Actually". Yeah, I know. Groundbreaking.

Another frustration is how every name for something be it a company or a product has to have its own unique special spelling so that it stands out and (they think) looks cool. It really gets on my nerves. It's like marketing teams naming conventions are ruled by phonetics. I honestly don't like it. It makes things sound dumb instead of cool to me.

I believe some/most of these issues came from the proliferation of cell phones and in turn, text messaging. Remember when people used to actually call each other and talk? I don't even think cell phones should be called phones anymore with the aversion people have to talking. At the end of the day I believe all this texting is hurting more than it's helping.

Anyway, that's my piece and I'm sticking to it. You can all ignore me and go about your business now. Or should I say shaves?

Not only this, but it sure feels like our school system is failing.

I remember learning cursive handwriting and sentence structure through diagrams. I'm not even sure any of that is part of the current curriculum.

I get that things change as a matter of efficiency and practicality, but what explains the astounding number of children failing reading and math proficiency?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My wife asked me the other day... Do you always correct someone when they commit a grammatical error? After a brief pause, I said: "Yes... at least, in my head, to myself."

I am more forgiving, I think, when I see things in print.. when spoken, it often takes some effort to refrain from correcting them out loud, which isn't exactly polite. When I see the grammatical errors in print, my mind can gloss over them with less effort.

My wife asked me the other day... Do you always correct someone when they commit a grammatical error? After a brief pause, I said: "Yes... at least, in my head, to myself."

I am more forgiving, I think, when I see things in print.. when spoken, it often takes some effort to refrain from correcting them out loud, which isn't exactly polite. When I see the grammatical errors in print, my mind can gloss over them with less effort.
Totally agree with you!

It's funny how mathematical errors can be troublesome, but yet grammatical errors are acceptable.:001_smile

And it's said that Math is the most important subject in school? I believe English is. You have to be able to read the problem before the problem can be solved.

Top Bottom