What's new

Contest - three winners will be selected!

summertime-logo.jpg

The theme of this contest is "Summertime." Tell us about a summertime memory - a vacation, a summer job, a concert, maybe that prank you pulled. This can be when you were a kid or an adult, have fun with it!

Random.org will select three winners from the entries. Each winner will have $50.00 to spend in our store right here. This is CONUS only please. We will let it run for a time and draw the winners - stay tuned and good luck to each of you!

~ The Captain

Well my favorite summers as kids was at grandma house in Far Rockaway NY. My uncle live downstairs, and grandma live upstairs.

Grandma was widow, she was immigrant from Eastern Europe - Czechoslovakia.

Lady could cook and bake, as a teen age boy I ate everything insight.

Uncle accused me of having hollow legs. Because teenage eats.

Best part was jumping Long Island Railroad/Subway into city.

City had museums, and great food.

Another very generous PIF, Captain. Thanks for the chance.

When I was 14, on summer vacation at the lake, I was standing on the shore with some others when my brother-in-law (then in his mid 20's) was swimming and started thrashing around and yelling for help. At first, we all thought he was kidding around but it soon became apparent he wasn't.

I jumped in (fully clothed) and brought him to shore, duplicating the way I had seen it done on TV. Turns out he had gone in right after eating a big lunch and had cramps. Mother always said to wait an hour!

Now 55 years later people that were there still talk about me jumping in with all my clothes on.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Summers growing up…..It was a different time growing up in Wyoming and mostly in Montana. “Parenting” had not yet been invented. School got out a week before the end of May, usually. We were basically told, make sure you’re home a week before school starts back up in August, so we can go clothes shopping for the new school year.

We only had two vacations when I was a kid. The most memorable was a trip to Georgetown Lake in Western Montana. It is a small lake, with some cabins around the shore. My dad rented a small rowboat and taught me how to row. I don’t remember my exact age, but I know I was a preteen, so maybe 10 or 11. I don’t think my Dad and had ever done something with just the two of us before so it sticks in my mind.

Many years later, my wife and I were driving home from a trip from PA to Montana and back. I wanted her to see Georgetown Lake for herself . We came over a mountain pass as the sun was low in the sky, and at the top of the pass, right in front of us, Georgetown Lake was breathtaking. I pulled over on the shoulder of the road and we both got out of the car……My wife started crying……you know, those tears of joy. The sun just beginning to set….We both remember that fondly.

I'm in.
Mid 70's thru the mid 80's spent my summers with my brother and cousins catching small mouths on the banks of the Penobscot. On the way to and back home we would keep our section of US route 2 clean by picking up returnable bottles and cans. 10 and 5 cents each. That was our allowance. I miss them simple days!

I’m in.

Thank you Cap’ for the prank reminder. Childish as it was, last week of school in 8th grade my home room teachers name was Mr. Sasse. Mr. Sasse had his name taped above his door in individual letters. So, I convinced my buddy (the class clown) to rearrange the letters on the door to spell something a little different.

I was a bit late getting to home room that day and when I turned the corner down his hallway I could hear him yelling at all my classmates about our shenanigans and we’d better fess up! I 180’d before getting to the room and ‘went to the bathroom’ while he cooled off. Boy oh boy was Mr. Asses mad! No one confessed.

All you teachers that put up with hooligans like me, thank you! 😃🤙

I'm In.

I remember my vacations to Pennellwood Resort in Berrien Springs, MI. It was a family destination for about 20 years. The resort had cabins we would stay for a week. It had activities for all ages. It had a coupe of pools, a river, tennis, hiking, on and on. The area had a couple of small vineries, horseback riding, antiquing, on and on. For well over a decade we went the same week every year. So every year about 80% of the guest were the same people so you also grow up knowing these people. As a kid I remember having penpals over the years that we would send letters back and forth though out the year until it was time for vacation once again. We started going in the mid 70's when I was probably 7 years old or so. Grandparents started to take us, then Moms brother and his wife cam for a few years, then there kids started coming and kept come after their parents did not want to go anymore. As I got in to my mid 20's I started to take Sandi with me. Than with life thing change people start getting other interest. stopped going to Pennellwood Resort because I had just gotten promoted a couple of weeks before my vacation and the store manager and I both wanted the same week, so I gave mine up. I knew it was the end of vacationing at Pennellwood because the week was so booked up once you gave it up you could not get back in.

That was decades ago I have never been back to that area. The resort has since closed and the land got turned in to housing. I am kind of glad that I stopped going before it closed. In my mind that magical place still exists.

I will always have the memories of the good times I had at Pennellwood with family and friends.

Thank you for the contest and sparking some old memories.

Respectfully not in, already a beneficiary of the Captain's generosity.

But...

Midwestern hot summers! Getting wet as often as possible.

Going with the family before dinner to cool off in 'the pool' at Lombard Commons, little ice cream cones on the way home (eat dessert first!). I don't care how hot it was the night before, swim lessons first thing in the morning were always a bout of shivering both in the pool and beside it, wrapped in a wet towel.

Hunting for crawdads and snakes by 'the creek' (say it 'crick') down in Indiana. Taking off the leeches afterwards. Grabbing one garter snake too far back and getting my only snake bite to date.

Swimming, sailing, waterskiing, going camping on my own up at 'the lake' in Wisconsin.

@Captain Pre-Capsize , you are still there in the midwest, with summer heat on the way. Of course, now air conditioning is common. It came to my childhood home and the various family cars some time after I split for 'the coast'.

I’m in.

Durig 8th grade through high school I was involved in a “computer club.” The club wasn’t anything more than a few kids testing their programming skills by pulling mostly harmless pranks. During the summer we basically had unsupervised use of the computer lab as long as we occasionally did some IT repair on the school’s faculty computers. Most days we occupied our time producing short animations or other films. On a particularly boring day, a few of us decided to pull a prank on the school’s network computers…we programmed several computers to load a silly website and play an annoying song the next morning when teachers turned on their computers. The teachers rightly guessed it was us—we lost school computer privileges for a month, but at the time many students thought it was hilarious.

I'm in!
Back when I was in high school, I got a summer job with the school. A group of us were supposed to scrape down the outdoor bleachers so they could be repainted. There was minimal supervision so we played around quite a bit and made the best of our access to the weight room. After a month, when we finally finished the bleachers, they decided maybe it was best our employment ended.
Shortly after that, I got a job doing lawn work for an elderly artist. She was a very pleasant women but kept me to a much tougher standard of work than the school had. If I remember correctly her home was on an acre lot with a huge amount of trees of all sorts(70 plus?). That autumn I developed my work ethic that has served me well since then.

Not in for the drawing, I have way too much for any one shaver. However I do so love these contests. Lots of great memories growing up since I lived in a very traditional neighborhood with lots of kids and not a lot of close parental supervision. Kick the can, baseball, sneaking around, all were part of summer fun. And, although not technically summer, I have very fond memories of going to the first Farm Aid in Champaign with my soon to be wife in 1985 (we eloped almost 4 months to the day later).

Not in this time :) maybe next one

And thanx captain for being so generous and making my fav shave cream :)

Summer memories that stand out when younger bicycle touring about 15x we did Seattle to bay area over the years glad I did it in the 80s-90s good memories then might be to sketchy these days :)

Also taught scuba for 15 yrs so stories for a lifetime :) from rescuing folks to shark dives and watching the excitement of tourists first time interacting with them and many other great dives so ultra low to ultra high often all in one day
Kinda like that box of chocolates ya never know what your going to get

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Respectfully not in, as I have been the recipient of the Captain’s generosity previously. Greatly appreciated!

1986 Chrysler Laser turbo with T-tops out. A twisty back road on a 75 degree night with a good tape in the deck………..Ahhhhhhhh. The good old days

I'm in!

Always have lived on a ranch so while summer may have involved a short vacation to visit family or a couple fishing/camping trips it was also big works on the ranch with branding and moving cattle to the mountains for the warm months there's a rock house in the mountains built by my great great grandfather when they homesteaded pre 1900 they planted apricot and walnut trees among others there's a kitchen, 3 small br, bathroom & pantry ..... there was a diesel generator but we rarely used it fridge ran off propane and we would read by lamp light, my grandfather had added the bathroom, generator, and a swimming pool in the 1960s. Days we would work early, swim in the heat of the day, work in the evening and repete.

Great place for a kid to roam horseback, find arrowheads, pottery, various rocks and crystals.... lots of wild animals too snakes, tarantulas, lizards, deer, elk, bear, antelope in the foothills and plains
The smell when it rains is amazing and when it really pours the canyon near the house is like a river for a solid 6-8 hours
So you could float bottles or boats you'd made for the occasion. Still love the place.

I'm in. Worked for a summer on a privately owned golf course/summer resort for the CEO of Bayliner boats. Spent the summer rolling around on a gator setting 12 Guage traps on gopher holes and using a mossberg 500 to shoot anything that wasn't protected that flew over the course. Also had an over stocked fishing pond that I could fish in at the end of each day and an over stocked beer fridge. Spent the summer eating fresh caught fish and drinking free beer. Good times for certain

Top Bottom