What's new

Considering a VINTAGE NAKAYAMA TENNIN TOISHI

I found one on ebay. Price is $180 (originally $220 but my offer got accepted) but before I take the plunge I wanted to get some comments from the experience jnat users. There is no nagura stone. It's a pre-WWII stone so apparently that's why there's no stamp. It seems to be from a reputable seller. Good reputation from what I can see. I don't know if mentioning the seller if allowed here so I won't. If anyone wants to know please send me a PM. I will post some pics below which have been taken from his listing.
-Dimensions are 153 X 51 X 19mm, 340g

There's another stone on ebay that is the same price. The other active listing number is one of 330mate's and I know he's got a good reputation here. It's a Iyo Momiji Sword 3353.
-Dimensions are 216x81x46mm, 1.789g

I'm not sure which one would be better for my finishing needs. Given that each is the same price which would you guys go for? The tennin toishi is supposed to be a very hard stone. Thanks in advance for your advice and comments.

Last edited:
+1 - I just got an Ozuku from JNS. I have only used it on one razor that I've shaved with so far (only received it day before yesterday), but it put a super smooth edge on. You'll find the prices are better, and the service is excellent. You won't go wrong!

I have a 33omate jnat that is worth the $50 I paid for it and also a Nakayama from JNS. Much better stone from Macsim. I am very pleased. He answers questions very quickly too. Not a day or two later.

Another reputable seller who has LOTS of stones for sale right now is Takeshi Aoki at www.aframestokyo.com. If he says that a stone is good for use with razors, then it is. He will also take back a stone that doesn't meet your needs.

Some have had good experience with 330mate, and lots of people have not, so personally I stay away from him.

Good luck!

Once again, that is almost certainly a stone from one of the 330mate "Flippers". He used to and might still list his random stones as "Pre-WW2 Nakayama" There are 3+ eBayers who buy 20-50$ 330mate stones, take some pictures and list them individually for $200+ BIN OBO. This has come up a dozen or more times already. You got ripped off. Sorry.

Wild guess, but seller is 1194markr, right? He's the one that's been pulling that scam for the longest time.

Last edited:
Just my 2ç but Iyo stones are not considered as finishers if that was your goal. However Nakayama stones generally are.

Once again, that is almost certainly a stone from one of the 330mate "Flippers". He used to and might still list his random stones as "Pre-WW2 Nakayama" There are 3+ eBayers who buy 20-50$ 330mate stones, take some pictures and list them individually for $200+ BIN OBO. This has come up a dozen or more times already. You got ripped off. Sorry.

Wild guess, but seller is 1194markr, right? He's the one that's been pulling that scam for the longest time.

He seems like a very nice. He let me cancel the eBay purchase.

Some have had good experience with 330mate, and lots of people have not, so personally I stay away from him.

I wonder why this is the case. When I was dealing with him, he was very responsive. Nobody I got a stone for ever came forward to tell me that their stone wasn't up to par. If someone had a problem, they kept it from me. Then again, the stones I got were more expensive than $20-$50.

I wonder why this is the case. When I was dealing with him, he was very responsive. Nobody I got a stone for ever came forward to tell me that their stone wasn't up to par. If someone had a problem, they kept it from me. Then again, the stones I got were more expensive than $20-$50.
I got one of his high quality stones at least it was rated as such and it is not good for a finisher. It works great for knives though so I am fine with it.
Also IMHO it is questionable how much experience all those people that buy their first Jnat have. Many proclaim their first stone to be super but , we do not know if it is not just average. I had to go trough 10+ stones until I find really a top notch stone, may be it is my luck I do not know.

Last edited:
I got one of his high quality stones at least it was rated as such and it is not good for a finisher. It works great for knives though so I am fine with it.
Also IMHO it is questionable how much experience all those people that buy their first Jnat have. Many proclaim their first stone to be super but , we do not know if it is not just average. I had to go trough 10+ stones until I find really a top notch stone, may be it is my luck I do not know.
Some of us know enough to be dangerous (myself included...)!

He seems like a very nice. He let me cancel the eBay purchase.

As I recall he wouldn't let the last guy (virtually identical thread to this one a couple months back)... until the guy threatened to open a dispute. Trust me, if he's "nice", he is it because it helps his bottom line. These types of sellers are the bottom feeders of eBay.

Maina:
I've had another Jnat seller recognize my first stone (My Karasu) when I sent him a picture. He knew where I got it and praised it and the seller. Guess I got lucky.

Last edited:
As I recall he wouldn't let the last guy (virtually identical thread to this one a couple months back)... until the guy threatened to open a dispute. Trust me, if he's "nice", he is it because it helps his bottom line. These types of sellers are the bottom feeders of eBay.

Maina:
I've had another Jnat seller recognize my first stone (My Karasu) when I sent him a picture. He knew where I got it and praised it and the seller. Guess I got lucky.
I bet there are good stones there but too many people have had poor luck with him to be a reliable source IMHO.

Top Bottom