What's new

Colon Cancer Awareness Month

Had both ends done a couple of months ago - found and removed a couple of polyps. Related this story to my boss, back in London, who is a good 10 years younger than me, and he said he was going for the lower option in a couple of days. Few weeks later he says he'd got the results and there is a tumour too big to remove by surgery, so he is now on chemo. Had his first session 2 days ago. For a boss, he's a decent bloke, so fingers crossed.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@Rushman2112, we're sending good vibes his way!

Mine went well. The prep was not bad at all, really. It certainly was no Caribbean vacation, but it also was not a nightmare. I know that having the newer Clenpiq helped with that, but I also paid great attention to THIS ARTICLE which I could tell was worth it.

As for my results, they removed two polyps, one of which was classified as "aggressive." They want me back in three years. I'll happily do that, as I truly believe that going when I did added to both the quantity and quality of my life far beyond the relatively minor inconvenience of the prep and procedure. I am very glad I did not wait until 50 to go, and I feel very fortunate that I didn't have to.

So, y'all, get your butts on over there!

Great news, Doak. I told my doc that if she told me to show up every 6 months I would do it. I’m not messing around with this. My second one had 6 polyps including one 2.5 centimeters diameter that looked like a beholder from Dungeons & Dragons. Prep, scope, snip, repeat.

@Rushman2112, we're sending good vibes his way!

Mine went well. The prep was not bad at all, really. It certainly was no Caribbean vacation, but it also was not a nightmare. I know that having the newer Clenpiq helped with that, but I also paid great attention to THIS ARTICLE which I could tell was worth it.

As for my results, they removed two polyps, one of which was classified as "aggressive." They want me back in three years. I'll happily do that, as I truly believe that going when I did added to both the quantity and quality of my life far beyond the relatively minor inconvenience of the prep and procedure. I am very glad I did not wait until 50 to go, and I feel very fortunate that I didn't have to.

So, y'all, get your butts on over there!

Thanks mate. Good to hear yours went OK. Not the most pleasant procedure but it's way better than the alternative(!)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I had the downmythroatscopy and upmybuttscopy two years ago and last year I swallowed a Bluetooth camera and wore a small computer for 24 hours.
I was disappointed that they had no discount for reusing a camera and no rebate for returning one.
Colonoscopy is every three years for me because they found one polyp.
Had to swallow this sucker:
EE63278B-8BB5-4C1E-9184-1CF31BD60EA3.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks mate. Good to hear yours went OK. Not the most pleasant procedure but it's way better than the alternative(!)
My doctor knocks you out. The nurse injected the sedative, I said “that’s warm”, she said “goodnight”. The next thing I knew it was 45 minutes later and I was in recovery.

On edit: changed seductive to sedative, though seductive sounded better. :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
That’s great!!
I was awake for both procedures!!
Got to see gastritis and a polyp!

Saved my life. Unfortunately a friend of neglected to follow guidelines and it was too late once he was diagnosed. In this time with the information available it’s a no brainer. If you don’t do it for yourself do it for your family.

My doctor knocks you out. The nurse injected the sedative, I said “that’s warm”, she said “goodnight”. The next thing I knew it was 45 minutes later and I was in recovery.

On edit: changed seductive to sedative, though seductive sounded better. :)

Ah, a seductive nurse, how wonderful :001_wub: All 3 times I have had them they gave me a sedative too but sadly administered by the doctor himself.

My dad died at 50 from colon cancer (I was 9), so I had colonoscopies from my 30s thru my mid 60s. Had a few polys early on, but nothing in my 50s & 60s. Now in my early 70s and done with them as I'd refuse any corrective surgery even if they found something at this point.

A church small group friend of mine from some years ago died recently of colon cancer. He was only 44. I just found out today. It's quite a shock. He was so young. 😔

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Had to get an upper done, and since they had to knock me out I said we may as well do the lower. Lower looked good. Upper didn’t.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Had to get an upper done, and since they had to knock me out I said we may as well do the lower. Lower looked good. Upper didn’t.
I got an upper and lower many years back on the same day. I have always thought “man…I truly hope he did the upper first”.

I’m hoping the upper didn’t reveal anything serious, Owen.

Every time I go for my lower, I get an upper as well. The first time they did the upper, it revealed some weird stuff in my stomach that looked like coffee grounds, but they couldn’t identify a cause. Three years later, same thing. Before my most recent one, the GI doc and I talked through what it could be (it wasn’t ulcers) and she asked me to lay off using ibuprofen (Advil) for a month ahead of time. NSAIDS like Advil can cause stomach irritation, and they were my painkiller of choice.

Sure enough, no weird stuff in my gut this time around. Who knows what damage it was doing, but now I just use Tylenol which works just fine.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I’m hoping the upper didn’t reveal anything serious, Owen.

Every time I go for my lower, I get an upper as well. The first time they did the upper, it revealed some weird stuff in my stomach that looked like coffee grounds, but they couldn’t identify a cause. Three years later, same thing. Before my most recent one, the GI doc and I talked through what it could be (it wasn’t ulcers) and she asked me to lay off using ibuprofen (Advil) for a month ahead of time. NSAIDS like Advil can cause stomach irritation, and they were my painkiller of choice.

Sure enough, no weird stuff in my gut this time around. Who knows what damage it was doing, but now I just use Tylenol which works just fine.
Tumor at the junction of the esophagus and gut. I see the oncologist 02JUL

Top Bottom