What's new

Colon Cancer Awareness Month

Screening can save your life. It did mine. Fifty is when the first screening is typically recommend, but cancer rates are raising fastest among the under-50 population.

Thank you for posting this as it hits close to home.

I lost my dad when he was 56 (I was 18) to colon cancer that had metastasized to the liver. The screening then wasn't as rigorous as it is today and in typical guy fashion he wasn't one to go to the doctor unless he absolutely had to.

I've taken this serious and had my first colonoscopy before I was 40 and my last this past October. Yes the prep is a little unpleasant but the procedure itself is quick & if you like you don't even need to be awake.

So yes, talk to your GP or internist and get your heiny checked!

Did mine when turned 50 (53 now) I never understood the issue with the prep. Not pleasant but not the stuff from the horror stories you here. Told me I was clean and come back in 10 years. Git R Done Boys

Most people fear the prep more than the test. I used to sell those jugs that clean you out where you find missing toys from childhood. One polyp can grow and turn neoplastic and by the time you have symptoms, it's too late. A good friend told me he thought he had bad hemorrhoids. I said let the doc tell you that. He waited and then was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer, had a foot taken from his bowels and may live 5 years. Take the test, buy soft terl paper and just do it. It saves lives! You get juiced up on propofol and next thing you know, it's done. One day that can save your life. Crapping your tush off for one night is not the end all. One polyp can be. Great post!

Any change in bowel habits or blood in the stool (black tarry appearance) or gross blood on the paper should be investigated without delay. Pain in the lower right quadrant of your gut could be a sign of Crohns Disease and it should be investigated. Sudden urge to go like a two second fuse with a 4 second run may also be indicative of Colitis or IBS. Ribbon like stools could be indicative of a colonic mass or IBD. Don't mess around. Take it from one that knows. I get one a year. Colitis was my diagnosis. Saw blood and ran to my doc. Also had two huge polyps one of which could have turned to an adenocarcinoma and that would have been my demise. It is so simple to do. My doc believes by 40 you should have one done. Either way, if you did not have a scope done, do it. Not a flexible sigmoidoscopy as that is only good to view the left side of the colon. What if there is disease in your transverse or ascending colon? Won't be seen. Virtual colonoscopy will find polyps and disease but a scope is needed to remove them. Please, take the test. If you have any trepidations, PM me and I can explain it. Any family members that had colon cancer should prompt you to go earlier than later too. I know I'm long winded here but this is a subject I know a great deal about. 12 years selling GI meds and spent hours in GI suites.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Had my first at 45- my next one is coming up. This ain’t no joke- get tested. If it’s nothing- great. If it is- catch it early.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Every 3 years I have one.
July will be 1 year since my last one.
2 years to go.

I got a 2fer last time!!
Downmythroatscopy and an upmyassscopy.

I think the doc used the same scope for both cuz I had bad breath for a month!

Just get it done guys!

A buddy of mine just lost his life to colon cancer. He refused to get checked and before we knew it he was gone.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Thank you!!
We worked together for nearly 30 years
He was stubborn as a mule

I had my most recent every three year screening last year, and she found another polyp. That makes 7 polyps for me since 2012.

Prep is not as bad as it’s made out to be, and you lose 5 LBS overnight.

When you get a lower and an upper and get juiced on the propofol, you would not care if they swabbed you like a cannon and would not know if they did either. Use listerine or mr clean and you'll be fine. Years back they gave you Demerol and Valium and it was a space race for sure. Then they used Versed and you were nighty night. Now Propofol makes you forget that ride

Up here we do a colorectal test every two years by taking stool samples at home for three days within a number of days of each other then mail them in for testing and if the samples reveal issues then a colonoscopy is booked. I've never been called out but my wife has, the colonoscopy said all was fine. If there's a family history of colon cancer i think they may skip the pre screening and go direct to the colonoscopy. No charges here for the stool testing, kit is supplied with a SASE, no charge for the colonoscopy if required.
dave

Bump because I'd rather be thought annoying than have someone miss out on this reminder. Colon cancer is one of the most survivable cancers if caught early. Also the rate of colon cancer is increasing among the under 50 group. Don't let you medical provider tell you that you are too young to have colon cancer if you are having issues. Get an answer to your problem.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Also the rate of colon cancer is increasing among the under 50 group.

The American Cancer Society recently lowered the recommended age for your first from 50 to 45. Just about every insurance provider has followed along as far as covering routine screening, and some have dropped the minimum age altogether.

Check your coverage, and then "check your six," gents. I go in for my first one Friday morning, prepping tomorrow.

The American Cancer Society recently lowered the recommended age for your first from 50 to 45. Just about every insurance provider has followed along as far as covering routine screening, and some have dropped the minimum age altogether.

Check your coverage, and then "check your six," gents. I go in for my first one Friday morning, prepping tomorrow.

Good man, Doak. Here’s hoping for a clean bill.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Good man, Doak. Here’s hoping for a clean bill.

Thanks, Bob!

There's nothing like the promise of a clear liquid diet and . . . prep . . . to get one out of bed in the morning. Here's hoping I can catch the end of the Astros opening day game before all hell breaks loose! :yikes:

Top Bottom