What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

Were you given a tracking number for the package?

Seems rather silly not to spend $1 for a tracking number on a box who's value exceeds $165. While not stated in the rules, it would definitely be the Gentlemanly responsible thing to do. It's also a good CYA measure, as I wouldn't want to be held responsible for the loss of items of that value.

I don't know that the Kai guarded blades will work in the Cobra. I was simply stating a fact about the stock at Razor Blades and More. But I would imagine, if the Feather Pro Guard works in the Cobra, then the guarded Kai blades should work as well.

Thanks for the clarification.

Just the other day I purchased a Cobra Classic for jimbofett and shipped it across the pond. Today I happened to surf out to the Classic Shaving website and was shocked to see the price has taken another $20 price hike! I bought my original razor for $125, then it went to $145 and now it sits at $165. Maybe this thread is generating way too much interest and supply-and-demand is coming into play. :confused1 I should note that I was able to use coupon code NMDO for jimbofett's purchase. If it still works it might bring the price back down near its former $145....

I wish I would have known about the coupon, it would have saved me a little money.

A brief update to the Box 1 tour list. TheVez2 has been removed, so craig87c is next in the rotation and Big W should be shipping by early next week. JeffBC has now jumped from the reserve list to the bottom of the rotation.

Box 1
texbilly
sullybob
michiganlover
norton
agbill
Big W
craig87c
saliavin

JeffBC

Thanks.

It's worth $165 at least to me. I've alternated shaves for the last couple of weeks (since all my DE's are gone out on loan) between the Cobra Classic, a Schick Adjustable, and a Pal Adjustable and the Cobra keeps me coming back. Once you learn to work it around your face, it's BBS everywhere with no irritation at all. Once I get my DE's back, they might all end up BST'ed that's how good this razor is.

+100

I made the mistake of using this one two nights in a row. I was alternating an Injector and the Cobra and decided to skip the Injector tonight. Big Mistake. I've got two good nicks on my upper lip. I can't blame it on the razor though, I was using a new soap that didn't have as much cushion as usual and the razor drug a bit. I now understand why it's called a Cobra

I'll keep my review brief due to the fact that my shaving routine is rather mundane. Since I shave in the shower mostly, use canned stuff and no brush due to sensitive skin, this razor is really overkill for me. Not to say that I wouldn't want to own one since it really is a fantastic razor that gave me no problems, I couldn't justify its price tag in my head. I used the Kai mild blades and got a really nice shave without any cuts or burns. I passed on the Feathers since I only used it twice and couldn't see wasting a blade for one shave. The razor itself felt good in hand and its wide head makes short work of your beard. I'm gonna miss it, wish I could have spent a coupla weeks with it, but with that being said its off to the next contestant. Thanks!!

Just got the box from Big W after a short trip across Long Island. Wow, the cobra is a beast. Shaving with it in about 45 minutes! Sure is a fragrant box that's making it's way across the land.

Yikes. This thing is bad news.

For my wallet, since I must have one. Two passes (no buffing) left about 90% BBS, overall a perfect shave. Zero irritation, fast shave, Comfortable grip, easy as an injector but the blades are much mor smooth.

Yikes. This thing is bad news.

For my wallet, since I must have one. Two passes (no buffing) left about 90% BBS, overall a perfect shave. Zero irritation, fast shave, Comfortable grip, easy as an injector but the blades are much mor smooth.

That seems to be the story of this razor. Easy to use, great shaves and for most people very little or zero irritation.

Here are the two lists for each box (accurate as near as I can tell):

Box 1
texbilly
sullybob
michiganlover
norton
agbill
Big W
craig87c
saliavin

JeffBC

Box 2 From Bong
-sluggo
-garyg
-scottb
-bullgoose
-noahpictures
-htownmmm
-Easttexasman

-kingfisher
-shanman

Craig87C currently has box #1, and Kingfisher currently has box #2 (confirmed with him last night).

As we are nearing the bottom of the list on Box #2, how do we decide if the backups are added, or if the tour for a given box is ending??

Time for my report on the Cobra.

The first time I tried it was Sunday morning. As fate would have it, I was also in possession of the Joris razor from the Joris tour. So, I did a little "shave-off" between the two: I used the Joris for the left side of my face and the Cobra for the right side. I have to say that the Cobra looked pretty scary. On the first pass it felt kinda scary, too, with a lot of feeling of the blade on the face. I ended up with two very small weepers on that side, and I haven't had a weeper with a DE in over six months. The Joris side was perfect. Stubble removal was about the same on both sides. Winner for me was the Joris.

Yesterday morning I fired up the Cobra again, this time without a comparator. I figured out that you have to use a different angle than I used on Sunday. If you hold it so that the head is almost perfectly flat up against the face, and then move the handle down just the tiniest little bit, it shaves very smoothly without any weepers or irritation. I got a nice shave with it yesterday.

This morning I used the Cobra on one side and a fat-handled Tech loaded with a Super Iridium on the other. First pass was WAY more efficient with the Cobra. Not close. Ultimately I got a great shave on both sides.

I'm getting the feel of the Cobra. To me it is too heavy and the blade is too wide, and it is a bit awkward in some spots. Having said that, it really shaves wonderfully and I feel like if I kept at it for a week or two it might prove to be the most efficient shaver in my den.

2nd Cobra shave:

This was the real test for me. It turns out I hadn't shaved for a few days prior to getting the Cobra (got lucky), so today was the first time I got to use it the day after shaving. Didn't have any irritation from the day before, but not much stubble to shave off. Used the Semogue 2011 LE bristle size 2 to lather some vintage Colgate barber soap and I went to town. The cobra sang as it plowed through what little stubble I had. Got a touch of irritation on my left sideburn; this is off since I don't think I've ever had irritation there before. Nothing major though since the Mandom AS didn't burn more than normal.

I really like this razor over regular injectors for several reasons- the weight is amazing, the wider head means shaves are faster, but the best thing about it are the blades. The Kai mild blades are smooth as glass. The Schick and Pella injector blades are really rough for me and I could never get great shaves on a daily basis with them. After two shaves with the Cobra, I don't feel like it has the same problems. If I keep getting these shaves all throughout the week, I'm doing a den sell off to pay for a new or used Cobra. Thanks to everyone who put this together, I'm eternally grateful for the opportunity to use a razor I thought I'd never have the chance to.

(PS I'd buy the one I'm using now :lol:)

Final shave with the Cobra was this morning. I continued to use the Feather blade, now on its fourth shave.

The razor is still kind of awkward for me, but getting less so. The blade is very wide; wide enough that I don't really think there are many places on my face or neck where the entire blade is actually shaving at the same time. It's kind of like mowing a very small lawn with a 54-inch wide lawn tractor. The other thing I disliked at first was the extreme weight of the razor. (I tend to prefer light razors, which is probably why I was so pleasantly surprised by the blue tip SS.) Anyway, over the course of four shaves I became accustomed to the weight, so that it doesn't bother me anymore. In fact, this morning I did a second pass with my LC NEW, and the NEW felt like a toy!

I need to send this thing along to the next guy before I fall in love with it. I only used the Feather blade, and have never tried a Kai in it. I don't know how much the blades are, and I don't know how long they last. I don't want to hear that they are cheap and last forever, because I do NOT want to buy a Cobra. I repeat, I do NOT need a Cobra.

As we are nearing the bottom of the list on Box #2, how do we decide if the backups are added, or if the tour for a given box is ending??

Hi Gents,

When the tour list for Box #2 is complete the plan is to return the razor to superbleu as I think he is itching to use it again. In regards to Box #1, I am toying with the idea of keeping my Cobra on the road for a while longer. I need to scroll back in the thread and find the reserve list, but I believe we have half a dozen or more members that still wanted to give it a try. Stay tuned....

-----

EDIT - found the reserve list:
jsj_297
Doodi1
MondoJ
gtoface
smalltank
colaim

Last edited:
The scariest thing about this razor is that the more you use it, the more you like it, and then the more you use it, the more you really like it, and the more you .....

marty

Hey Guys, poonjaji removed me from the Box 1 rotation to keep it moving faster. Instead of getting the Box, he sent me another Cobra razor to try out. It arrived today in Afghanistan, and after I give it a few shaves, I'll post my impressions. Can't wait to try this bad boy out!

Top Bottom