What's new

Christmas Day PIF. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!

Friends, every recounting of something good in your life has enormous power to heal the heart and gives the rest of us warm feelings and happy thoughts. I for one need them. My mother passed away a couple of weeks ago and this is the first Christmas without her for me and my 3 brothers. Even if you are not in for the razor set, please share your blessings. Thanks very much and may God bless you all and keep you safe in the new year.

My dear mother is 88, soon to be 89. She jokes that she has 11 years left and has always said that she would make it to 100. I have no doubt that she will. Her mind is still sharp as attack, and she is in better shape than any woman I know. She mows her lawn, trims her bushes and plants her flowerbeds. Her home looks like a museum garden. My guess is that she will outlive her kids. She takes no meds and has no health conditions.

I am blessed to still have her. She and I talk over the phone regularly since we can’t visit each other due to COVID. she loves all her kids, no matter how hard headed and obstinate we can be.

DDB430D8-0D57-4D5D-9996-B6038BF7EDBD.jpeg

First of all, @HDSledge, you have my condolences for your loss, especially as it coincides with the holidays. May you and your brothers find much solace in happy memories.

For me, a blessing of 2020 was a family vacation which made it possible to have me and my three siblings and their families all together for a week--something we hadn't done in a long time. We are all over the US and have the same busy lives as everyone else, so it takes a lot of work to make that happen. The time we spent helped me to become more proactive about staying in touch with them throughout the year. Boy, has that proven important!

I'm humbly and gratefully in on your PIF offer, please! I don't have any vintage stuff at all. As it happens, last night I stayed up a little too late getting educated on vintage razors, so I would actually know what you gents are talking about when you toss around terms like "flare tip" and "tech" and "super speed" and all the rest! Then I saw this offer today and knew it was perfect to throw my hat in the ring. I happened to learn that it is indeed rare to get one of these razors without a cracked handle.

What a connection to history this razor offers: probably constructed right around the end of WWI (if I'm reading the date code chart right, this serial number would have been very close to the end of the year), during the flu pandemic of 1918, etc. I hope more of our members jump in.

First of all, @HDSledge
I'm humbly and gratefully in on your PIF offer, please! I don't have any vintage stuff at all. As it happens, last night I stayed up a little too late getting educated on vintage razors, so I would actually know what you gents are talking about when you toss around terms like "flare tip" and "tech" and "super speed" and all the rest! Then I saw this offer today and knew it was perfect to throw my hat in the ring. I happened to learn that it is indeed rare to get one of these razors without a cracked handle.

What a connection to history this razor offers: probably constructed right around the end of WWI (if I'm reading the date code chart right, this serial number would have been very close to the end of the year), during the flu pandemic of 1918, etc. I hope more of our members jump in.
Thanks for your kind words on the passing of my mother.

You have certainly done your homework on the razor. Gillette has a very detailed history. Check this website out: Mr. Razor
There you can find info on just about every Gillette razor through the years. When I first started collecting I referred to it many times. Still do in fact.

Check this website out: Mr. Razor
There you can find info on just about every Gillette razor through the years. When I first started collecting I referred to it many times. Still do in fact.
Thanks for this link; I'm not sure I'd have found it otherwise! It really helps to see this history laid out in a visual way. Definitely will be bookmarking this for future reference.

I'll jump into the pool.

I am thankful for my family and health, however, I'm sure I am not the only one who will be glad to see the backside of 2020.

Thanks for the opportunity @HDSledge!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Condolences @HDSledge I lost my own Mother to Covid on April 8th 2020 and I miss her terribly. I am approaching five years sober after losing my job, car, driving license, wife, kids, liberty and almost my life to alcohol dependency. I now have those things back and more. When my Mother died I was not tempted to drink but instead I was grateful that in her final years she saw her son living a happy and fulfilling life in a loving relationship. I resolved to continue my sobriety for the rest of my life as a fitting legacy to her. I learned that my recovery is built on a solid foundation and will not break no matter what life throws at me. For that I am thankful every day because I am truly blessed, my life is rich with love and happiness that I never thought I deserved but of course which everyone deserves. This is a great PIF for a wonderful razor that Gillette have never improved on. Respectfully not in.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Condolences @HDSledge I lost my own Mother to Covid on April 8th 2020 and I miss her terribly. I am approaching five years sober after losing my job, car, driving license, wife, kids, liberty and almost my life to alcohol dependency. I now have those things back and more. When my Mother died I was not tempted to drink but instead I was grateful that in her final years she saw her son living a happy and fulfilling life in a loving relationship. I resolved to continue my sobriety for the rest of my life as a fitting legacy to her. I learned that my recovery is built on a solid foundation and will not break no matter what life throws at me. For that I am thankful every day because I am truly blessed, my life is rich with love and happiness that I never thought I deserved but of course which everyone deserves. This is a great PIF for a wonderful razor that Gillette have never improved on. Respectfully not in.
You’ll see your mother again — and she’ll tell you how proud she is of you. Godspeed in 2021, my friend.

Hannah's Dad

Friends, every recounting of something good in your life has enormous power to heal the heart and gives the rest of us warm feelings and happy thoughts. I for one need them. My mother passed away a couple of weeks ago and this is the first Christmas without her for me and my 3 brothers. Even if you are not in for the razor set, please share your blessings. Thanks very much and may God bless you all and keep you safe in the new year.
So sorry for your loss, my friend.

Hannah's Dad

My dear mother is 88, soon to be 89. She jokes that she has 11 years left and has always said that she would make it to 100. I have no doubt that she will. Her mind is still sharp as attack, and she is in better shape than any woman I know. She mows her lawn, trims her bushes and plants her flowerbeds. Her home looks like a museum garden. My guess is that she will outlive her kids. She takes no meds and has no health conditions.

I am blessed to still have her. She and I talk over the phone regularly since we can’t visit each other due to COVID. she loves all her kids, no matter how hard headed and obstinate we can be.

View attachment 1200576
Please ask your mom where that Fountain is located — she looks 40!!

35 minutes left Gents! Going to run on the elliptical to fight back against the pudge. Be back shortly after I burn off the kefir and bagel with cream cheese that I had for breakfast.

Alright I'll jump in as I never tried a vintage. Blessings goes to my wife that went through a breast cancer during covid at 39 yo and that she survived to it and look at 2021 and hope for a better year. She look at life in a different way. Thank you for the generous PIF.

And the winner of the PIF chosen by random number selection is @nicked78! Congratulations!

Pm your shipping address to me and I will get the set out to you asap. Sending along a pack of my favorite blades Gillette Silver Blue. Plus I'm including a chunk of my favorite shaving soap created by a local artisan made with emu oil, satsuma, and coriander.

Many happy shaves to everyone and thanks for participating. May all have a great 2021!

Top Bottom