What's new

Christmas Day PIF. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!

I acquired this ~1920 silver plated basket pattern US Gillette Pocket Edition set (501) when I first started collecting vintage Gillette razors. It was well used by its previous owner but shows only normal wear and tear. The teeth are straight. The lining has seen better days but there is no metal showing through the material. The fabric logo patch is intact. The razor tube is not cracked which is unusual since most of this type are. The razor is a thin cap old type ball end with serial number H 958875 (1918). 100+ years old.

To participate in the Christmas PIF share what you are most thankful for in 2020. Perhaps recount the moment you received a special blessing. Maybe a wonderful gift you received or a big promotion you earned. Hard times hit everyone but we are all blessed in some way. How were you blessed this year?
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg

Too anyone who has not shaved with a vintage Gillette razor: 100 years after they were made they give as comfortable and efficient a shave as any on the market today. At least that is my totally biased opinion. :) I will pick a winner randomly at noon CST January 1, 2021.

Last edited:
Never have used a vintage razor. Thankful? For my family - wife and four daughters (and two dogs and a horse) -and our all having each other and remaining healthy this year. The greatest gift.

Great PIF!! :clap: :clap:

Not in as someone who has not used a vintage should get this beauty!
I agree. Hopefully members of the forum who haven't tried an antique or vintage Gillette will participate. Until you've shaved with one you haven't experienced the genius of King C. Gillette, whose vision led to a multi-billion dollar industry.

Very generous of you, sir! Respectfully, not in as I feel someone who has not used a vintage should experience this fine piece.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Never have used a vintage razor. Thankful? For my family - wife and four daughters (and two dogs and a horse) -and our all having each other and remaining healthy this year. The greatest gift.
Amen. Cherish that family my friend.

I have never used one, I’m in. I was in one of the lost pass arounds that was supposed to have had one in it but never got to me. My special blessing this year was being able to stay home and have my children in distance learning only. I was a teacher for a long time and this was a wonderful opportunity for me to help them with their schooling while staying safe. I can only hope everyone could be so lucky.

FarmerTan

I'll ship it anywhere.

This PIF got me thinking about what life was like in the 1920's. The Gillette 501 set cost a lot relative to income back then. Whoever owned it used it every day for a long time. Who knows? It could have been shared by these 3.View attachment 1200396
Again, very generous, and very kind of you to ship it anywhere.

You keep this up, and you just might be the next @Space_Cadet !

Old types (especially thin caps) are the best razors ever IMHO! I hope whoever receives this razor learns to appreciate how great these early Gillettes shave. Very generous PIF!! Not in as I have more than my share already.

FarmerTan

Haha, thanks, Tan! This is a very nice PIF.
I know it is! I've never used one of these if it's what is called an old type? Maybe I shouldn't have removed my bad self from contention! But then I'd win, and my lovely and long-suffering War Department would have me sleeping with the barn cats, and @KeenDogg would get all jealous and start ugly rumors that are only 2/3 true, and what few people on here that still like me would unfollow me, and I'd end up living in a van. Down by the river.

So good luck to the contestants!

Last edited:
Well, I pondered whether to participate in this PIF, but I think that I'm in. I've used a fairly old razor before (a '53 Gillette Tech), but never anything as ancient as this Old Type.

As for blessings... being chosen to receive this razor would be a blessing in itself!

But seriously, I've been extremely thankful because my family has had several health scares, this year, but luckily we're all still kicking. it seemed like someone was being diagnosed with cancer or having a heart attack or stroke every few weeks. I wasn't immune to health issues, either. I was partially crippled in an industrial accident in January. I just hope that 2021 is the year when things start going in the other direction for us.

At least none of us has contracted COVID-19, so that's a blessing, too, I guess!

Anyway, good luck to all the participants! And a special thank you to @HDSledge for his amazing generosity! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom