What's new

China is Closing Shop!

I got a virus in my work Mac from reviewing PDF files (lectures) (macro virus). Since then: I avoid most PDF downloads, and always run them through antivirus before opening....

Obligatory iPhone user since 2009 checking in to say that I have had ZERO virus or any issues at all with my phones over the years. At least....4 or 5 iPhones. 2012 Mac Mini still going strong with ZERO virus or scares. You know this is the internet and we can’t let Android or PC users claim no viruses without the Apples guys chiming in..... (and vise versa)

duh!
I use PCs and Androids (though I'm not opposed to Macs) Had them from 1987 till around 1998. I've had no virus issues for the past 10 years or so.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I use PCs and Androids (though I'm not opposed to Macs) Had them from 1987 till around 1998. I've had no virus issues for the past 10 years or so.
Folks simply think “ooo you got a PC you are going to get a virus”. Or “ooooo you you got a Mac, you don’t even know 90% of it’s functionality”

Crap IMO. Both Macs and PC are susceptible to viruses. And naturally, if you don’t know how to run your system you are highly likely to get a virus. I’ve used a Mac since 2012, absolutely no issues. My family (with me assisting) has used a PC since the late 90’s with no issues.

You need someone that is smart about usage. Either yourself or someone you trust. Simple as that.

I wonder if the China shut down is the reason that the Occams Hiram razor is so overpriced. If they are limited to the stock on hand, why not try to sell them at the highest price. Because at a lower price, they may get sold out without any way to replenish. At $255, it is doubtful they will sell out, but will do very well with the ones they do sell.

Just want to add, that this is not a criticism. It makes sense in an economic sense to ask a higher price for a limited supply. It works for Wolfman, so should work well for Classic Shaving.

🙄

I've been on Android since the very beginning. Almost 12 years and no malware of any kind.

Like anything, operate with some sense and you'll be fine.

I used to be a apple user but swapped to android 5 years ago as I didn't like the idea of having to run every thing I did on my phone by apple for approval first also apple you are tied to I tunes for almost everything you want . on android I can get every app I want for free the only mistake I made was going with Huawei as thanks to you American's needing to hid secrets I cant get 5g thanks lads .

Apple ambushes its users with OS updates that eventually require updated hardware to use a phone. You cannot go back to an earlier OS. Sooner or later, you will buy a new iPhone, if you use a phone and remain with Apple.

Crazy conspiracy time:

Let’s assume that China has imperial ambitions. They have after all been extending their military spending, buildings artificial military islands in the South China Sea, extending their influence in the island nations of the Pacific, extending their national borders to include Hong Kong and challenging the ownership of unoccupied islands also claimed by Japan. Logic would say that some of this activity must have an agenda behind it. The technology now coming out of China is as good as anywhere. Space travel, drones, manufacturing these guys have it covered.

Ok so you have yourself set up for an offensive. All the logistics, hardware and personell are in place what do you do first? Traditionally you will first soften your target. Bomb out their infrastructure and command lines. Restrict their shipping and assess to supplies. That kind of thing.

What if you were to create a deadly virus that you have already developed a vaccine for and then release it into the world? Pretty smart but not easy. To make it look authentic you would need to make some sacrifices, maybe the city of Wuhan. You would need complete control of the internet and media too. Check.

What if at the same time you were to cut off vital supply lines and trade that countries have grown to depend upon so completely that they have all but dismantled all of their own manufacturing capabilities. Well sometimes you get lucky and the enemy does your work for you.

Look I don’t personally believe in this but is it actually so far fetched? Should China go on the march is there anyone left that could stop them? All of the modern wars have been won primarily through technological and manufacturing advantage. Who has the upper hand in 2020? What reason does the most powerful nation on Earth have for showing any restraint? So far they have been buying up big. Why buy if you can take?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I wonder if the China shut down is the reason that the Occams Hiram razor is so overpriced. If they are limited to the stock on hand, why not try to sell them at the highest price. Because at a lower price, they may get sold out without any way to replenish. At $255, it is doubtful they will sell out, but will do very well with the ones they do sell.

Just want to add, that this is not a criticism. It makes sense in an economic sense to ask a higher price for a limited supply. It works for Wolfman, so should work well for Classic Shaving.
An interesting observation. Titan also increased their prices by about 30% in late January. Now they have reduced then to about their previous price plus about 5% or 10%.

Like you, I'm not complaining. I'm a firm believer in charging what the market will pay.

Very little in the way of shaving gear is coming out of China now. It looks like at least the following have stopped shipping:

Good Dollar
QShave
ZY
Titan
Ming Shi

I expect that this list will soon grow.

There are still some suppliers with stock that are shipping, but who knows for how long.
Who cares if China closes shop...I personally will never buy any type of shaving products from China, no matter how cheap it is, there are simply better alternatives.

Just like in real life, an infection in your technology has more to do with user error than the platform.

Apple products are no safer than anything else. In some ways they are less safe. It's more about market share.

Crazy conspiracy time:

Look I don’t personally believe in this but is it actually so far fetched? Should China go on the march is there anyone left that could stop them? All of the modern wars have been won primarily through technological and manufacturing advantage. Who has the upper hand in 2020? What reason does the most powerful nation on Earth have for showing any restraint? So far they have been buying up big. Why buy if you can take?

Yes. It's extremely far-fetched. They are doing a good job out-competing us without unleashing a deadly virus on the world. This also is not good for Xi & the Chinese government.

Who cares if China closes shop...I personally will never buy any type of shaving products from China, no matter how cheap it is, there are simply better alternatives.

When I recently sought advice here on a synthetic brush there were many Yaqi fans & I ordered one. I don't have it yet but it seems that some of their products and quality are getting good. Currently, there may be mostly better alternatives. I also don't completely trust their products and wouldn't be enthusiastic about buying a consumable (cream, soap, etc), however, I'll rate hardware on a case by case basis and wouldn't be at all surprised if they started making excellent products.

Considering iPhones are made in China, it would seem that they can put together some good stuff (with the proper guidance).

In the 60s & 70s (when I was a wee lad), Japanese products were synonymous with junk; that's changed a bit.

Then there's the whole political side - do I really want to support China? Not so much but SO much is made in China it's almost impossible not to buy Chinese goods (and if I go down that route I'd need to stop buying Russian and Turkish blades).

Also, China "closing shop" will have (already is having) a significant impact on the global economy.

it’s not only about buying Chinese items. I’ve had troubles with items I’ve bought in the US and shipping to SE Asia. The large logistics hubs in China have slowed things down

but then you realise that your better alternatives are made from parts imported from china like most heads and base plates .

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yaqi brush arrives from China tomorrow, allegedly.

But it was ordered before the new year and the outbreak.

Might wear gloves to open it!

AA

Yaqi brush arrives from China tomorrow, allegedly.

But it was ordered before the new year and the outbreak.

Might wear gloves to open it!

AA

General consensus seems to be that the coronavirus can live on surfaces for nine days. How long ago did it ship?

If you Google "how long does coronavirus live on surfaces" you'll find a bunch of articles that include the types of household disinfectants that can kill it. Here is one example but I would advise to play it safe and do some more research.

I don't trust the Chinese gov't.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
General consensus seems to be that the coronavirus can live on surfaces for nine days. How long ago did it ship?

If you Google "how long does coronavirus live on surfaces" you'll find a bunch of articles that include the types of household disinfectants that can kill it. Here is one example but I would advise to play it safe and do some more research.

I don't trust the Chinese gov't.

Thanks for the info!

It shipped Feb. 10. Think I'm safe ... Sorta.

AA

So, the Yaqi 30mm brush that I ordered on 2/12 arrived today.
12 days total would seem to be pretty fast even before the coronavirus.

As an act of paranoia I shampooed and Barbicided it.

I am still waiting for my QShave razor, purchased on 2/3. I think it may be in the U.S. already though based on the detail-lacking Aliexpress tracking info, so not too slow either.

Top Bottom