What's new

Charles Roberts Method Shaving: Pioneer or Over-thinker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I’d never heard of him until this thread. Had a bit of a google. You can’t knock his passion.

The beauty of traditional shaving is that you can do what suits you. When I first joined B&B I came across a post that mentioned the Kyle's method of prep, something that is quite comprehensive. You can read about that prep here. My prep was always minimalist so I was surprised by this method. I tried it a few times but saw no improvement for me when using such a system. However, many shavers found it worked for them.

"Traditional" shaving can be just as convoluted as method shaving:
Pre shave with glycerine
Pre shave cream or oil
Shaving cream or soap
Witch Hazel
Alum
Aftershave
Balm or post shave cream.
I even add a splash of Rose Water.

It's potentially elaborate in a different way. Method Shaving involves more playing around with different products to make what is essentially a superlather. There are some modern shave creams, however, that don't require this sort of thing, usually they are sophisticated mixtures of emollients, surfactants, and fatty acids (similar to Cremo). Weishi produces a shave cream like this, and I recently tried a similar cream from an eBay vendor. They are frankly much better than the older soap-based creams, including high-end creams from Art of Shaving or Creighton's cream base.

Personally, I think using too many post-shave products is a bit excessive and risks skin sensitization.

The beauty of traditional shaving is that you can do what suits you. When I first joined B&B I came across a post that mentioned the Kyle's method of prep, something that is quite comprehensive. You can read about that prep here. My prep was always minimalist so I was surprised by this method. I tried it a few times but saw no improvement for me when using such a system. However, many shavers found it worked for them.

Interesting to revisit that. I can see it providing some substantial benefit to the non-daily shaver who might have issues with "dirt and hardened oils" from a workday in the mines.... Definitely overkill for me, as long as i get the 4-6 minutes of saturation on my head stubble (which I get by lathering the head first then returning to it to shave only after completing my beard shave) I'm good.

Last edited:
Interesting to revisit that. I can see it providing some substantial benefit to the non-daily shaver who might have issues with "dirt and hardened oils". Definitely overkill for me, as long as i get the 4-6 minutes of saturation on my head stubble (which I get by lathering the head first then returning to it to shave only after completing my beard shave) I'm good.

Head hair is much thinner than facial hair. Facial hair is the thickest hair anywhere on the human body. That's the reason women can get away with shaving legs with relatively dull razors they've used for years.

Head hair is much thinner than facial hair. Facial hair is the thickest hair anywhere on the human body. That's the reason women can get away with shaving legs with relatively dull razors they've used for years.
I've read that as well . Be that as it may You haven't met my head stubble sir. It's far more difficult to cut to BBS than my beard or I wouldn't have adopted the routine I have after considerable experimentation. Whether that's a function of thickness or moisture content, or structure doesn't much matter, it requires more prep.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Like I said in my first post, I don't think Charles invented anything regarding actual shaving. I figured out about importance of water on my own, as probably many other shavers here.

If you want the best prep just take a shower, done. No chubby 3, hydrolast towel or special mixes can beat it. I can get a BBS with billion passes in all possible directions with a 3 year old disposable razor under the shower. No soap needed whatsoever, just running water. Zero cuts, weepers or ingrown hairs despite shaving faster than he does in the videos.

You've stated this a number of times and I wonder what makes you think this might be the case?? MDC, Cella, Tabac, Mitchell's etc etc have been around forever and I'm unaware of any sea change in thinking of what constitutes a good shaving soap/cream in 120 years or so . The importance of saturated hair follicles is not something recently discovered. It's a romantic notion that crazy Mr. Roberts had this impact on our lives but help me out with how you imagine this manifests itself. ??

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

I think you’re mistaking my questioning for giving credit to Roberts where it isn’t due. From my point of view, in the DE community there is an obsession with soap “slickness” that has spawned almost a war between brands to create the worlds slickest soap or cream.

Also, all manner of preshaves have become quite popular as well. I see this as something kind of unique to DE/SE/straight razor shaving and thought it may be due in part to Robert’s influence. Or not!

It’s becoming more apparent that it probably has nothing to do with him. But the rationale behind my comments is that most canned cream doesn’t focus on advertising “slickness” or “hydration” so much as the denseness and protectiveness of the lather. Think of Barbasol’s tag line: “Thick and rich.” I think the examples you provided very much prove hydration and slickness from a lather are not new concepts at all and I never intended to make it seem like mr. Roberts should get credit for inventing those concepts.

I just thought he may have had a hand in popularizing the concepts within the DE community since it’s largely ignored in the mainstream.

And don’t forget, you’re not going to cut gloss with DR Harris. It’s just not happening. 😂😂😂

I found Method Shaving to be a bit extreme, but Charles was initially very helpful and friendly. I purchased a few of his products and ended up returning one item. He could have simply told me “no” on the return but he went completely ballistic on me and accusing me of several nefarious intentions.

I was taken completely off guard and shocked by his reaction. I told him to throw away the item I returned and that he could keep the money. I never spoke with or ever dealt with him again after that incident.

This is perhaps one of the most enlightening posts of the thread for me. If the guy was some kind of zealot it knocks out a lot of the “guy following his passion” appeal.

Never heard of him...at least I don't think. So, I googled him. A lot of mantic59 videos and articles popped up. They aren't the same person, are they??

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If you want the best prep just take a shower, done.

This was certainly true in my case. I used to think why not shave before the shower, then any extra lather mess just washes away in the shower. Seemed quicker and easier. Then one day I showered and realized I didn't shave first, but needed to. I shaved after the shower - WOW - what a difference. Tried it a few times to make sure it was no fluke and then permanently moved the shave to follow the shower.

I haven't shaved in the shower, but I do a touchup pass with just witch hazel. Keep the face wet and LISTEN to the razor. No cushion, just enough slickness from the witch hazel to keep things moving.

Mr. Roberts was a very early member here at BnB. In fact we had a method shaving forum dedicated to it.
It is unnecessary to call anyone names or characterise anyone as a clown (post deleted) on this forum.
Many of our members have met mr. Robert and universally have said what a fine man he was.

Last edited:
Charles Roberts was one of the finest gentlemen I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Rest in peace, my Friend.

He's passionate about shaving, that's for sure. I'm not into his methods or system but I found his videos fascinating to watch.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
He's passionate about shaving, that's for sure. I'm not into his methods or system but I found his videos fascinating to watch.
I agree, he was genuine. While he might have sold some costly goods, you could tell he didn't just make crap up, he really believed what he said.

I think a lot of what he did was pearls before swine as it related to the general shaving public. (I'm including myself in the swine circle of the Venn diagram.

I agree, he was genuine. While he might have sold some costly goods, you could tell he didn't just make crap up, he really believed what he said.

I think a lot of what he did was pearls before swine as it related to the general shaving public. (I'm including myself in the swine circle of the Venn diagram.

After all these years, and knowing what I know now in terms of shaving, I could still watch his videos and still be fascinated. I have not met him, I was early into the hobby before he passed, but from watching his videos alone, I like the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom