What's new

The Professor and His Quest for Shaving Enlightenment

Once upon a time, in the realm of academia, there lived a seasoned professor named Jim Stikeleather. He wasn't your average scholar, though. Fighting battles innumerable, from leading skirmishes of entrepreneurship to commanding legions of Perot and Dell, he brought reality and experience from such as The Battle of Isengard to the Ivory Towers. No dusty tomes or tweed jackets would ever adorn him. This professor, in addition to the many scars fairly earned, possessed a twinkle in his eye and a mischievous grin, for his true magic, wasn't conjured just in libraries or fields of honor, but through the language of ones and zeros – he crafted software, making computers bend to his will.

Years of weaving technological spells had instilled in him a love for logic and data. Yet, as retirement loomed, he yearned for a new quest, one that traded algorithms for lather and blades. The humble art of wet shaving had captured his imagination, but the world of "YMMV" pronouncements left him wanting. He craved precision, a quest for shaving enlightenment!

He wasn't just any shaver, mind you. This professor was a collector, a hoarder of gleaming razors and mountains of blades – Dorcos and AccuForges, Blacklands and Carbon Shavings, all whispered promises of perfect shaves. But alas, none quite sang the right tune. Then, fate intervened! A Tedalus Velocity-one, oh how it beckoned with its futuristic allure, and lo and behold, it became his shaving muse!

But the journey wasn't over. Two Lambdas arrived, vying for dominance against the Blacklands. The professor, ever the scholar, knew this was an opportunity to study, to gather data, to banish the YMMV fog! He would become a knight of shaving science, wielding the tools of research to map the landscape of razors, blades, and rituals. Hot water versus cold? Robert's Method under the microscope? He would unravel their secrets!

Thus, he ventures forth on his mighty steed of steel from his modest fief in Tampa, Florida USA, into this vibrant online forum, not as a mere professor, but as a fellow adventurer, blade in hand, data as his shield, and a mischievous grin to light the way. So, join him, fellow shavers, in this grand experiment! Share your tales, your wisdom, your close calls, and shaving epiphanies. Together, let us banish the mysteries and bring the light of knowledge to the world of wet shaving!

Remember, dear reader, this is just the beginning. The professor's quest has only just begun, and who knows what shaving wonders await him (and you!) around the next bend!

What is your real name? (at least what the government thinks it is)
James (Jim) Stikeleather

What are your nicknames/aliases? (except the one that shall not be spoken)
Stike, StikeYoda (given to me by my staff at one of my start-ups)

Where do you live?
Everywhere I am, but my abode is in Tampa Florida

What is your age (or) generation?
70 (warranty expired and the car warranty guys hang up when I asked about it), though my brain thinks I am 18 with 52 years of experience... my body seriously disagrees.

What are you in the real world? (assuming this is all not just a computer simulation)
Semi-retired professor (business, economics, decision theory, computer science); retired executive, retired entrepreneur

What is your favorite shave setup?
A Rabbi, a Priest, an Imman, a Monk walk into a barbershop....
All of them (been collecting for a while)

What are your hobbies and favorite activities? (at least the legal ones)
Standard Schnauzers, Science Fiction, Long-range precision shooting
Car racing (retired - ran out of money), Motorcycle racing (retired - neck and back surgery),

Last edited:
Welcome to the B&B community.... and good luck banishing YMMV. It will be a pretty neat trick... getting all the skin on our faces uniform, along with figuring out a way for the whisker variations to disappear....
I agree, impossible.... but one can measure and quantify such that a person should be able to react to one or two razors, one or two blades and begin to project how they might react to others based upon discernable parameters (also known as windmills as portrayed by Cervantes) :mad2:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I agree, impossible.... but one can measure and quantify such that a person should be able to react to one or two razors, one or two blades and begin to project how they might react to others based upon discernable parameters (also known as windmills as portrayed by Cervantes) :mad2:
I have a few friends here who like what I do.... a few for razors and a couple for brushes. Their recommendations have been spot on for me. That sure saved a lot of time and money.

Top Bottom