What's new

Charcoal Level 3 OC arrived so it's a head to head with the Timeless .95 OC

Very nice! The case looks fantastic.
Yeah it's also in great shape but like I said I don't know which model it is. My mind is telling me it may be a travel razor or a model I'm not familiar with. I hope Rabidus finds his way back to this thread and lets me know what the heck model i have here. BOY are we way off topic! better get back to Charcoal and Timeless LOL

:wheelchair::thumbsup:
Yep the .68 OC should fit the bill based on what you're saying works for you. I will add I have a Fatboy and had a Mergress that I had for over a year and if I could mention one thing that may get you thinking. The Fatboy as much as I love it does not shave anywhere near as smoothly as the Timeless and the Mergress I had did have a fairly nice glide but with either of the blade gaps they both glide about the same. So I'll say this is I compare my . 68 OC to the straight bar side of my dual head .95 they are really very close with the .95 being just a little more efficient. So just food for thought. When you get you're .68 if you feel you would like just a touch more blade then I'd exchange it for a dualie . 95 OC/SB combo. It's great. First pass you use the OC and from then on you use the SB. But you've got 30 days so I'd say give it at least 2 weeks to evaluate.

Just my 2 cents..

Thank you. Decisions decisions! :)

Just for a comparison, I use my Fat boy at 7, Mergress at 2.5 and I use the Timeless. 95 OC as my everyday razor. It is the smoothest razor I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

And this is where I may give the .95 some thought. I have had excellent results top shimming other 3 piece razors (placing a shim above the cutting blade) to reduce gap and it may be easier for me to work with the .95 and have that option than to increase the efficiency of the .68 if it's too mild.

I actually find the .68 to be slightly aggressive, that said I also have the OC. I'm a straight razor user as well so it's not a big deal. If you like mild, the .68 with a scalloped or full bar. If you like more aggression, the .68 OC would be fairly aggressive but not horribly so. Then the .95 I have not tried but will surely be a bit more aggress if you want more.

Thank you! You've all been tremendously helpful...I hope to have made a decision by sometime this weekend :thumbsup:

I'm not familiar with names of sets. All I know is it looks like a 1912, they came with several handles.
@spidey9 can tell you more about the 1912 sets then I can. You may have to post it in the SE forum.

Nice comparison write up, I think Timeless 0.95 will be too much for my skin, as I've found 0.68 OC is ok for my chin, but bit bites on mustache area, so Charcoal definitely is not for me.

Congrats and enjoy the new razor.

Nice comparison write up, I think Timeless 0.95 will be too much for my skin, as I've found 0.68 OC is ok for my chin, but bit bites on mustache area, so Charcoal definitely is not for me.

Congrats and enjoy the new razor.
Thank you but one quick question if the .68 OC is biting you may I ask how long you've had it. If you haven't had it for to long you may be able to switch if for either the scalloped or straight bar. Timeless is really good about that. So just an option.
Yeah the Charcoal is an extremely efficient razor and I even had thoughts of calling Brian and asking if he can exchange it for the Level 2 which would probably be more comparable to my Timeless .95 which I love. BUT after much thought I've decided I'm up for the challenge and I'm going to try it with a Kai blade next. I'm waiting on Brian to move so he can make me a dual comb base plate in a Level 2 OC/SB

Thank you but one quick question if the .68 OC is biting you may I ask how long you've had it. If you haven't had it for to long you may be able to switch if for either the scalloped or straight bar. Timeless is really good about that. So just an option.
Yeah the Charcoal is an extremely efficient razor and I even had thoughts of calling Brian and asking if he can exchange it for the Level 2 which would probably be more comparable to my Timeless .95 which I love. BUT after much thought I've decided I'm up for the challenge and I'm going to try it with a Kai blade next. I'm waiting on Brian to move so he can make me a dual comb base plate in a Level 2 OC/SB
Oh no, I mean mine is dual OC/Scalloped, the OC works perfectly for the chin area, but for under the nose, the Scalloped works wonderful, I got a slight irritation from the OC, so I think it was meant to be a keeper for me, since I use both sides in a shave, each for a different area to tackle, and they tackle it smooth and efficiently.

Oh no, I mean mine is dual OC/Scalloped, the OC works perfectly for the chin area, but for under the nose, the Scalloped works wonderful, I got a slight irritation from the OC, so I think it was meant to be a keeper for me, since I use both sides in a shave, each for a different area to tackle, and they tackle it smooth and efficiently.
Oh sorry I forgot you got the dual comb. Also try different blades. In both my Timeless the Kai works best for me. I've tried Feathers but they give me a little irritation and the Kai's don't.

Oh sorry I forgot you got the dual comb. Also try different blades. In both my Timeless the Kai works best for me. I've tried Feathers but they give me a little irritation and the Kai's don't.
Yes, I used Nacet, and I think I saw someone else also have a great experience with Nacet but not with Timeless.

I just got couple pucks of Astra, will try it out with Timeless later or tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.

Yes, I used Nacet, and I think I saw someone else also have a great experience with Nacet but not with Timeless.

I just got couple pucks of Astra, will try it out with Timeless later or tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.
Astra works in the Timeless for me but I didn't like them in the Charcoal.
Also if it helps the Kai's work better in the Timeless than the Astra SP's at least for me. Givie thena try sometime i
Just pulled the trigger on a .68 scalloped base, smooth cap, 85mm knurled handle, matte finish.

Hey you only go 'round once right? :001_cool:

absolutely my motto! You'll love it! Smoothest DE out there In my opinon.
Congrats!

absolutely my motto! You'll love it! Smoothest DE out there In my opinon.
Congrats!

As I suspected based on the numerous reviews, the Timeless is an amazingly smooth, efficient shaver. This is the .68 scalloped, which was where I wanted to start before trying their .95 baseplate. It's obvious this is a precision manufactured tool. There are already plenty of Timeless reviews so I'll just keep my initial impressions here.

I received mine yesterday afternoon and moments ago finished my first shave with it using Tabac lather and a brand new Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless (green). Two passes plus minor touchup and a splash of Speick later and I'm impressed!

proxy.php

With the .68 baseplate, you literally don't feel the blade at all, but the stubble just disappears, leaving behind a smooth, closely shaved surface. The Timeless baseplate though not identical, strongly adheres to tried and proven head designs such as the Merkur Progress but in my view improves greatly on the way the Progress grips the blade.

proxy.php

You can see from the photo above how well this razor is designed. Much more surface area of the blade is clamped between the cap and base plate, reminiscent of razors such as the Gillette Old Type or short comb NEW. This eliminates blade flexing with today's thin, .004" blades, making for a very rigid mount.

It's as if someone said, "I want a razor that offers the smoothness of the Merkur Progress but the blade rigidity of the Old Type", then they set about to make it a reality.

For blade alignment, the longitudinal slots of the blade are employed and the side to side blade edge exposure is perfect.

I have what I consider a medium density beard, and the blade exposure of the .68 gap baseplate is about perfect for daily shaving. If I feel I need slightly more exposure, I'll experiment with a few bottom shims first, before going out to buy the .95 baseplate.

proxy.php

There may only be a few downsides to the Timeless. For some, cost of ownership is certainly one. Razors made with such incredible precision right here in the lower 48 out of durable stainless steel don't come at bargain prices, and because they fulfill their advertising claims to near perfection, it will be a razor that won't be found regularly on the used market.

The other is you have to be careful during the shave itself...it is so smooth, so effortless, so "it's impossible to cut myself with this razor", you will be tempted to start drag racing with it! But avoid that temptation, slow down and enjoy the ride :)

Graydog

Biblical Innards
As I suspected based on the numerous reviews, the Timeless is an amazingly smooth, efficient shaver. This is the .68 scalloped, which was where I wanted to start before trying their .95 baseplate. It's obvious this is a precision manufactured tool. There are already plenty of Timeless reviews so I'll just keep my initial impressions here.

I received mine yesterday afternoon and moments ago finished my first shave with it using Tabac lather and a brand new Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless (green). Two passes plus minor touchup and a splash of Speick later and I'm impressed!

proxy.php

With the .68 baseplate, you literally don't feel the blade at all, but the stubble just disappears, leaving behind a smooth, closely shaved surface. The Timeless baseplate though not identical, strongly adheres to tried and proven head designs such as the Merkur Progress but in my view improves greatly on the way the Progress grips the blade.

proxy.php

You can see from the photo above how well this razor is designed. Much more surface area of the blade is clamped between the cap and base plate, reminiscent of razors such as the Gillette Old Type or short comb NEW. This eliminates blade flexing with today's thin, .004" blades, making for a very rigid mount.

It's as if someone said, "I want a razor that offers the smoothness of the Merkur Progress but the blade rigidity of the Old Type", then they set about to make it a reality.

For blade alignment, the longitudinal slots of the blade are employed and the side to side blade edge exposure is perfect.

I have what I consider a medium density beard, and the blade exposure of the .68 gap baseplate is about perfect for daily shaving. If I feel I need slightly more exposure, I'll experiment with a few bottom shims first, before going out to buy the .95 baseplate.

proxy.php

There may only be a few downsides to the Timeless. For some, cost of ownership is certainly one. Razors made with such incredible precision right here in the lower 48 out of durable stainless steel don't come at bargain prices, and because they fulfill their advertising claims to near perfection, it will be a razor that won't be found regularly on the used market.

The other is you have to be careful during the shave itself...it is so smooth, so effortless, so "it's impossible to cut myself with this razor", you will be tempted to start drag racing with it! But avoid that temptation, slow down and enjoy the ride :)

Lane glad you like your new Timeless ,it is a wonderful shaver.
I don't know why you would want to shim it?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

First off Congrats on the new Timeless!
You are so spot on as far as to how the Timeless holds the blade in like a vise! You obviously have been at this for a while to pick up on all the qualities and DNA of this awesome razor. I also agree that you won't have to use shims in this razor. If you want a closer shave just do another pass. I have gotten very close BBS shaves with it numerous times and my beard is what I describe as somewhere between medium and heavy with sensitive skin.
Again since you just got it and took it on it's maiden voyage give it couple of weeks of shaving to really learn not only the very subtle nuances of this Gem but also to really know if it is as efficient as you'd like in the long run. If you find you want a little more either move up to the .68 OC or the .95. You have 30 days and Timeless would be glad to exchange the head for you. My suggestion would be a dual comb baseplate in any gap because if offers a choice of blade exposure but that's just my opinion. I guess my main message was to let you know you have the option to exchange it if you like.

Anyway enjoy it!! :thumbup:

As I suspected based on the numerous reviews, the Timeless is an amazingly smooth, efficient shaver. This is the .68 scalloped, which was where I wanted to start before trying their .95 baseplate.

Fully agree, it's exactly what I have done, except I wasn't as patient, so I ordered .95 very quickly after receiving and trying .68. They are both excellent, though I want to get more shaves with both to be able to fully adjust, find the perfect angles and learn more about them. I used .68 last week and will use .95 exclusively now for a week. My initial impression is: yes, these obviously offer different shaving experience, but I feel I could be happy with either one of these, or, well, who knows, keeping both maybe. :D :D

Fully agree, it's exactly what I have done, except I wasn't as patient, so I ordered .95 very quickly after receiving and trying .68. They are both excellent, though I want to get more shaves with both to be able to fully adjust, find the perfect angles and learn more about them. I used .68 last week and will use .95 exclusively now for a week. My initial impression is: yes, these obviously offer different shaving experience, but I feel I could be happy with either one of these, or, well, who knows, keeping both maybe. :D :D

Excellent @Bbb34. I have a minor decision yet to make...do I buy a solo .95 baseplate or just get another entire razor assembly with the .95 baseplate? Don't know yet. I'm still not 100% sure I need a .95 baseplate just yet (more to follow:))

Regarding shims on the .68...I sensed a "disturbance in the force" when mentioning this. Don't become distraught gents!

I just had shave #2 on my Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless with two bottom shims moments ago (approximately .008" total thickness).

What these shims do is elevate the blade from the guard bar ever so slightly, and increase blade feel in a very small way, without making that "giant leap" to a .95 plate.

And the results? AMAZING!! A glass smooth, highly efficient shave on 24 hours stubble. This was two passes plus touchup. I prefer to increase efficiency of my setup vice increasing the number of passes, and this looks like it will "git 'er done", particularly as the blade edge begins to wear from out-of-wrapper sharpness.

Very happy with this new tool!! :clap:

Excellent @Bbb34. I have a minor decision yet to make...do I buy a solo .95 baseplate or just get another entire razor assembly with the .95 baseplate? Don't know yet. I'm still not 100% sure I need a .95 baseplate just yet (more to follow:))

Regarding shims on the .68...I sensed a "disturbance in the force" when mentioning this. Don't become distraught gents!

I just had shave #2 on my Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless with two bottom shims moments ago (approximately .008" total thickness).

What these shims do is elevate the blade from the guard bar ever so slightly, and increase blade feel in a very small way, without making that "giant leap" to a .95 plate.

And the results? AMAZING!! A glass smooth, highly efficient shave on 24 hours stubble. This was two passes plus touchup. I prefer to increase efficiency of my setup vice increasing the number of passes, and this looks like it will "git 'er done", particularly as the blade edge begins to wear from out-of-wrapper sharpness.

Very happy with this new tool!! :clap:

:thumbsup:

Shims will turn any razor into an adjustable, it's an easy way to fine tune a razor.

Top Bottom