What's new

Charcoal Level 3 OC arrived so it's a head to head with the Timeless .95 OC

The NEW is easy. The Long Comb especially. The Short Comb is a little harder, especially if your looking for a specific cap. The NEW Deluxe is harder to find.

The NEW is easy. The Long Comb especially. The Short Comb is a little harder, especially if your looking for a specific cap. The NEW Deluxe is harder to find.
I like the way the NEW Deluxe looks. Go figure I'd pick the one that harder to find :mad2:

Nice collection!
Yes Brian's right on par with Wolfman and Timeless and I agree on the finish. At first I was going to spray it with Lacquer to keep it looking exactly like it looks in the photo. But after talking with Brian he suggested shaving with it for a couple of weeks and seeing if I still felt the same once it starts taking on it's own unique patina.

On the shave I think the Level 1 especially in a SB is wouldn't be as efficient as the Timeless .68. I'm thinking you'd need either a level 1 OC or Levl 2 SB to compare. The Level 3 OC is a monster! I was gonna pick up a level 2 OC this morning but I really want the Level 2 dual plate OC and SB which I believe would be more of a daily driver for me and would probably match up much better to the Timeless.95 dual plate I have now.

I've got the Wolfman Guerrilla but it's not in this group so I'd like to get a
WR 1 in a .74 or .84 gap and compare it to the Timeless.95. Been on the list for 6 months now.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm with you on the patina thing as I really like seeing the razor change as it makes it unique. One of the reasons I really want a Timeless in bronze as well.

If you're lucky enough to have gotten on the list for a Wolfman I'd highly suggest that you get a unique material such as bronze or copper. I was spot six before the whole mess during the last sign up and got bumped off of the list as a result.

As far as going to a level 2 for the closer shave I've thought about adding that plate as well. The thing that stops me is that I really like the smoothness of the Timeless .68 and since the Level 1 Charcoal isn't nearly as smooth I'm thinking that the Level 2 may be even more aggressive. I may still add the plate eventually to see what it's like but I do enjoy the Level 1 razor and I do find myself reaching for it. It's aggressive enough to give me an enjoyable close shave but not too aggressive where I'm sacrificing comfort. I'm getting a really nice shave from it but it's just not lasting as long into the day as some of my other razors do. In terms of aggressiveness I'd say it's about on par with the ATT M1 head that I enjoy as well but this one has quite a bit more character.

I do really enjoy the uniqueness of it and likely reach for it more often just because I really like it.

I'm leaning toward a .68. To put it in perspective, the below work for me:

- a Fatboy at around 5 or 6
- a thick cap Gillette Old Type
- a Merkur Progress somewhere between 1.5 and 3 depending on whether the blade is brand new (1.5) or a dozen or more shaves in (about 3)

So I'm thinking a .68 in the OC might be a good matchup. I just don't want something "too" mild. Thanks for your great comparison and descriptions!
Just for a comparison, I use my Fat boy at 7, Mergress at 2.5 and I use the Timeless. 95 OC as my everyday razor. It is the smoothest razor I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here's a picture. Gillette NEW on the left, which is what the CG razor is based on, according to their website, and NEW Deluxe on the right. I find the Deluxe more efficient than the standard NEW. The Deluxe is my personal favorite at the moment. Both from the 30's.View attachment 806976
Did the new deluxe come in short and long comb? I have the long comb version?

No. Except for the Short Comb NEW, all NEW 's are long Comb(supposedly there's a short comb RFB around) The Deluxe did come with 2 different baseplates. 17mm, and less common 15mm. But that's off topic.

No. Except for the Short Comb NEW, all NEW 's are long Comb(supposedly there's a short comb RFB around) The Deluxe did come with 2 different baseplates. 17mm, and less common 15mm. But that's off topic.

The Deluxe and SC have the same size comb, same profile. The SC has the more rigid baseplate. The SC is on top and Deluxe on the bottom. The Deluxe has a flat bottom. The LC has a longer comb.

tapatalk_1476204383917.jpeg

Interesting. I knew I had a new long comb but didn't know it was a deluxe

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Great review. Now you have me wanting a Timeless...I just have no idea which gap would serve me best.

I actually find the .68 to be slightly aggressive, that said I also have the OC. I'm a straight razor user as well so it's not a big deal. If you like mild, the .68 with a scalloped or full bar. If you like more aggression, the .68 OC would be fairly aggressive but not horribly so. Then the .95 I have not tried but will surely be a bit more aggress if you want more.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm with you on the patina thing as I really like seeing the razor change as it makes it unique. One of the reasons I really want a Timeless in bronze as well.

If you're lucky enough to have gotten on the list for a Wolfman I'd highly suggest that you get a unique material such as bronze or copper. I was spot six before the whole mess during the last sign up and got bumped off of the list as a result.

As far as going to a level 2 for the closer shave I've thought about adding that plate as well. The thing that stops me is that I really like the smoothness of the Timeless .68 and since the Level 1 Charcoal isn't nearly as smooth I'm thinking that the Level 2 may be even more aggressive. I may still add the plate eventually to see what it's like but I do enjoy the Level 1 razor and I do find myself reaching for it. It's aggressive enough to give me an enjoyable close shave but not too aggressive where I'm sacrificing comfort. I'm getting a really nice shave from it but it's just not lasting as long into the day as some of my other razors do. In terms of aggressiveness I'd say it's about on par with the ATT M1 head that I enjoy as well but this one has quite a bit more character.

I do really enjoy the uniqueness of it and likely reach for it more often just because I really like it.
If I do get lucky and get to purchase a Wolfman I would get a polished copper, bronze or brass for sure.
I totally get what your saying about a razor with not as big a blade gap as the Level 2 or 3. I have several go to's when I want a mild shave like I probably will tomorrow after the scalping I got today! LOL

I actually find the .68 to be slightly aggressive, that said I also have the OC. I'm a straight razor user as well so it's not a big deal. If you like mild, the .68 with a scalloped or full bar. If you like more aggression, the .68 OC would be fairly aggressive but not horribly so. Then the .95 I have not tried but will surely be a bit more aggress if you want more.
+1

Just for a comparison, I use my Fat boy at 7, Mergress at 2.5 and I use the Timeless. 95 OC as my everyday razor. It is the smoothest razor I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I agree it is my smoothest as well. I also find some of my vintage Gems like the 1912 to be very smooth shavers as well.

Great review. Now you have me wanting a Timeless...I just have no idea which gap would serve me best.

Go for it you won't regret it one bit and the great thing if you don't like it the folks at Timeless will give you a refund as long as it hasn't been over 30 days. So no risk. I'd say a good way to evaluate what blade gap would work best is look to your current razors and which one you like the most and go from there. Like I've mentioned before. You can get a .68 gap with a dual head with an OC on one side and either a SB or the Scallop and if you want to use the less efficient side until you get used to it Im sure it won't be long before going with the OC and it is a very smooth saver but is still very efficient and will give you a nice close shave. I a lot of people are afraid when they hear open comb but I'm telling you I personally think the Timeless open comb is smoother than the SB but that's my take on it. Hope you get one.

IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3614.JPG
IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3611.JPG
Recent purchase. Hopefully shows up this week. Along with this one, The Big Boy.View attachment 807062
Nice one! I love it when a new razor shows up. I just got another boxed Gem in the mail today and it looked good in the photos but I paid like $18.50 for it and when is showed up I was like wow, this is in way better conditon than the photos reflected on eBay. I'm not sure what model it is cause in the description it said 1912 but it is smaller than any of the 3 other 1912's I've got and has a shorter handle so maybe one of the Gem guys will chine in and tell me what model it really is.

View attachment 807066 View attachment 807068 View attachment 807067 View attachment 807065
Nice one! I love it when a new razor shows up. I just got another boxed Gem in the mail today and it looked good in the photos but I paid like $18.50 for it and when is showed up I was like wow, this is in way better conditon than the photos reflected on eBay. I'm not sure what model it is cause in the description it said 1912 but it is smaller than any of the 3 other 1912's I've got and has a shorter handle so maybe one of the Gem guys will chine in and tell me what model it really is.

Very nice! The case looks fantastic.

Top Bottom