What's new

CBLindsay's Journey into Mixed Blade Mastery

Wednesday 5-24-2017 (straight shave #460)
May theme for the week...Vintage LAST DAY

Prep:
Pacific Ocean "tropical ?"
Brush: WD24mm Silvertip
Soap: Old Spice
Razor: Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett REV-NOC
Strop: 25/50
Aftershave: Old Spice Original AS
EdT/EdC: Old Spice Original Cologne

Last day of the vintage soaps theme and I pulled out the Old Spice. I got this soap about a year ago, a lucky score in that it was new in a box and appeared untouched. The box has a the old store sticker on it indicating it sold for $8.99, I suppose I paid that price adjusted appropriately for inflation. The soap had lost most of its scent but that was quickly remedied by splashing some original Old Spice Cologne on the soap the night before. I bloomed the soap with a bit of water floated in the indent then loaded with a damp brush, much like the SV method only using a little more water I would think. The resulting lather was quick and easy but it wasn't the highest quality of the bunch, I think I ended up with too much water because of the way I loaded and settled for the lather I got instead of swirling the brush a few more times to make it perfect.

The lather provided a perfectly slick surface for the RHSB to glide across while removing my facial fur. The Techmatic shave from yesterday and my evening lather tests made for a pretty stubbly beard...perfect for shaving. I suspect had the lather been a notch higher in quality I would have had an easier shave. As it was the shave was quite smooth and confortable, BBS in the end so I cant complain.

Finishing with the vintage Old Spice AS and Cologne is always a nice touch. The old stuff has a bit more kick to it, like it is pure alcohol, but it is worth it. The scent of the original Old Spice strikes me as sweeter than the various alternatives available today, still spicy but with a sweeter and softer note. The funny thing is, I use the Family Dollar/Avon bootlegger stuff almost every night following my nightly lathers because it is simple and pleasant. Splash on the original stuff and I am immediately thrown into memories of my grandpa and his Old Spice.

File_000 (2).jpeg

Thursday 5-25-2017 (straight shave #461)
May theme for the week...Cologne Inspired

Prep:
Brush: SV Artisan 26mm HMW
Soap: Stirling "Piacenza"
Razor: TORI (Japanese Frame back)
Strop: 25/50
Aftershave: Stirling "Piacenza" AS
EdT/EdC: Aqua Di Parma Colonia Intensia

First day of the Cologne inspired soaps and i dug into the drawer to find one of the most incredible scents around. I don't know why I don't bring this one out to play more often, great soap. I don't need to dwell on the greatness...we all know Stirling makes a great soap and the AdP inspired scent is among the best around. This stuff takes on plenty of water and gets slicker as it does...so add more water.

The TORI is a wicked beast, heavy like a sledge hammer with a blade as thin as paper. This is one razor you want to keep your wits about when using. Fortunate for me I am not without wits, my wits may be dim but I have plenty of them. This razor is a nice design, with weight and balance helping the keen edge do its dirty work, I just wish the blade itself had more character, maybe a smile or a curve.

The shave wasn't without some unique moments brought about by some variables having little to do with the lather or blade, but in the end I did a 4 pass routine and left the CBLindsay shave den with a BBS face. I did find the alum and witch hazel to burn a little more than usual, again, due to "other" circumstances not entirely relating to the blade or lather.

File_000 (3).jpeg

In other news:
My new belt sander arrived last night, I got it set up but didn't get a chance to try it out. My wife asked me to fix a broken plastic ring (hula hoop for an American Girl doll, a gift for my daughter's B-day coming up) so I broke out the large bottle of super glue. Since I had the bottle out I decided I would start the finish on a Barbershop Wooden Handle brush restore I have been meaning it make progress on. Who would have thought fixing a cracked piece of plastic could go SO wrong.
Someone really should warn a guy about the dangers of using CA glue from a bulk container. I THOUGHT getting the bulk CA was a smart thing to do...now I am rethinking the whole idea. The bottle is great for the workshop, it has a plug insert under the screw on nozzle to keep the whole thing from becoming a mess. Apparently my bottle didn't get the "keep the whole thing from becoming a mess" message. You know how it goes, you get just a little CA on your finger and next thing you know your fingers are stuck together. Or maybe you end up with a little dab on your arm and when you lean against the workbench your arm sticks to the surface. My problems were a little bigger than that and they started when I had to use a pair of channel locks to open the container and pull the plug. The threads had a crusty chunk of CA making it hard to open and close so i used the pliers to break away the chunk. While breaking the chunk away I learned the most valuable lesson(s) a man can learn...about what 8 ounces of pure INSTANT bonding power is capable of. Yup, the channel locks slipped and I was bathed in CA. Did you know that stuff gets hot as it forms a permanent bond? The good news is the eye protection I had donned did its job ...bad news, I became permanently bonded to said eye wear ...And my shirt to my chest hair, my lips to one another, my mustache to my lip...and my nose, my goatee to my cheek, hand and chest and neck. I am still finding parts of my body glued to other parts of my body. I also learned that Acetone really doesn't do much when you are covered in that much CA. Oh, and as this stuff forms its bond it gives off waves of fumes that threaten your very existence. Pretty intense stuff. My poor goatee looks like I glued a hair piece made from hair clippings to my face. My lip has this cool "snarl" look at the corner where the 'stache has grabbed hold of it ...I kinda look like dirty Harry. You thought honer's mange was an odd sight? My arm hairs are a mix of dreadlock like snarls, booger wads and bald spots. I ended up fixing the broken plastic ring sometime after I was able to pry it off the back of my right forearm. And the Barber handle looks pretty good but it needs a few more coats, I might just hold off on that though.
Some things really shouldn't be made available in such large quantities.

First off awesome shave!

In other news:
My new belt sander arrived last night, I got it set up but didn't get a chance to try it out. My wife asked me to fix a broken plastic ring (hula hoop for an American Girl doll, a gift for my daughter's B-day coming up) so I broke out the large bottle of super glue. Since I had the bottle out I decided I would start the finish on a Barbershop Wooden Handle brush restore I have been meaning it make progress on. Who would have thought fixing a cracked piece of plastic could go SO wrong.
Someone really should warn a guy about the dangers of using CA glue from a bulk container. I THOUGHT getting the bulk CA was a smart thing to do...now I am rethinking the whole idea. The bottle is great for the workshop, it has a plug insert under the screw on nozzle to keep the whole thing from becoming a mess. Apparently my bottle didn't get the "keep the whole thing from becoming a mess" message. You know how it goes, you get just a little CA on your finger and next thing you know your fingers are stuck together. Or maybe you end up with a little dab on your arm and when you lean against the workbench your arm sticks to the surface. My problems were a little bigger than that and they started when I had to use a pair of channel locks to open the container and pull the plug. The threads had a crusty chunk of CA making it hard to open and close so i used the pliers to break away the chunk. While breaking the chunk away I learned the most valuable lesson(s) a man can learn...about what 8 ounces of pure INSTANT bonding power is capable of. Yup, the channel locks slipped and I was bathed in CA. Did you know that stuff gets hot as it forms a permanent bond? The good news is the eye protection I had donned did its job ...bad news, I became permanently bonded to said eye wear ...And my shirt to my chest hair, my lips to one another, my mustache to my lip...and my nose, my goatee to my cheek, hand and chest and neck. I am still finding parts of my body glued to other parts of my body. I also learned that Acetone really doesn't do much when you are covered in that much CA. Oh, and as this stuff forms its bond it gives off waves of fumes that threaten your very existence. Pretty intense stuff. My poor goatee looks like I glued a hair piece made from hair clippings to my face. My lip has this cool "snarl" look at the corner where the 'stache has grabbed hold of it ...I kinda look like dirty Harry. You thought honer's mange was an odd sight? My arm hairs are a mix of dreadlock like snarls, booger wads and bald spots. I ended up fixing the broken plastic ring sometime after I was able to pry it off the back of my right forearm. And the Barber handle looks pretty good but it needs a few more coats, I might just hold off on that though.
Some things really shouldn't be made available in such large quantities.

As to the above. This right here must be nominated I think you just won the whole internet today this is pure FUNNY!!!! Why no pics? I assume your wife must have been laughing at you as this was happening? No pics?

First off awesome shave!

As to the above. This right here must be nominated I think you just won the whole internet today this is pure FUNNY!!!! Why no pics? I assume your wife must have been laughing at you as this was happening? No pics?

Two reasons there are no pics. First and most importantly, fingers covered in CA don't activate the buttons on the touch screen, and there is no way I was able to use the fingerprint ID. Second is...do you think I am stupid? My wife was actually gone when this happened and only returned home long enough to grab a hot dog before heading out again. By the time she was home my lips were parted, the various plastic things had been detached and I had managed to get the goatee off my cheek (or cheek of the goatee). Although my face had a very unnatural look when she arrived, I was able to move most things independently again. I was in the process of trying to free my fingers and hands from the grip of the glue and was devising a plan to remove the shirt without removing the chest hair at the same time (HINT: not possible). She definitely thought it was funny. This morning's shave seemed to have doen a good job removing much of the remaining glue from my cheek but I definitely don't need any mustache wax to hold things in place for awhile.
I am just REALLY happy I was standing close to the workbench and all of the splashing hit from the belly button up.

Two reasons there are no pics. First and most importantly, fingers covered in CA don't activate the buttons on the touch screen, and there is no way I was able to use the fingerprint ID. Second is...do you think I am stupid? My wife was actually gone when this happened and only returned home long enough to grab a hot dog before heading out again. By the time she was home my lips were parted, the various plastic things had been detached and I had managed to get the goatee off my cheek (or cheek of the goatee). Although my face had a very unnatural look when she arrived, I was able to move most things independently again. I was in the process of trying to free my fingers and hands from the grip of the glue and was devising a plan to remove the shirt without removing the chest hair at the same time (HINT: not possible). She definitely thought it was funny. This morning's shave seemed to have doen a good job removing much of the remaining glue from my cheek but I definitely don't need any mustache wax to hold things in place for awhile.
I am just REALLY happy I was standing close to the workbench and all of the splashing hit from the belly button up.

Oh man the story just gets better!

I mean we have all super glued our fingers together. But this must be a first. Maybe you should install a camera in your work area... this might have won you 10K on the Funniest Videos.

I am just wincing in pain thinking about the glue on the chest hair! And I will say you are lucky that the damage was only belly button up. As they say... could've been worse.

Ouch. Just ouch. I've been on the receiving end of that heat when I was popping the seal on a tube of CA and it splattered right out all over my hands, but it was nothing like what you just described. Though I call shenanigans on the touch screen. I found fingers covered in dry CA to be able to operate a tablet just fine. :lol:

Nice shave and read Chris...... as to the other, I see Mr. Murphy is now employing alternate method to exact his attacks. Funny but not funny at the same time

Friday 5-26-2017 (straight shave #462)
May theme for the week...Cologne Inspired

Prep:
Brush: WD24mm silvertip
Soap: CBLindsay Beta 3 "Stetson"
Razor: Genco Henry's X
Strop: NEW CBLindsay strop 25/50 last night followed by 50 leather this morning
Aftershave: Stetson AS Lotion
EdT/EdC: Stetson Cologne

After being bathed in CA the day before I was a little gun-shy last night and decide to leave the projects sit. Then I thought it has been long enough, I need to get that stupid (not Scrupleworks) strop of mine ready fro action. All I needed to do was finish the lower handle but I procrastinated because the leather was not feeling right. I finished the handle and gave it a rub down to warm up and loosen the leather, then I stropped the Genco. The vintage hand woven flax linen is LOUD but did a good job getting the blade ready for the leather. The leather...well, it is not a Scrupleworks Horween that's for sure. I finally got the leather surface smooth by washing it with Murphy's oil soap and glassing the hell out of it. I am hoping if I oil it more (again) it will loosen up some. The draw is incredibly fast and the surface is glass like (hard and smooth). I was skeptical but when I was done stropping the edge was VERY much improved, far more than a pasted balsa might do. I oiled and rubbed the dickens out of it last night but it felt very much the same this morning.

The CBLindsay Stetson performed very well this morning. I actually found the scent to a little lighter than I remember it being but the lather was plenty slick and it was easy to use. Like Chad, I noticed the face feel was better than some of my other batches. I think this is due to two things, a higher superfat AND that I didn't separate out all of the superfat like I had been doing.

The Genco was ready for action that's for sure. The stropping gave it a level of keen/smooth that was very much appreciated. 3 major passes and a clean up left me BBS and smelling good. I don't know why but I was WAY ahead of schedule this morning. I am thinking the faster strop, the easy soap and great razor all came together to make for a FAST shave.

And a few of my strop
File_000 (4).jpeg

Attachments

• File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7