What's new

Captain Murphy (Chris Smith) Update Sought

Captain Murphy (Chris Smith) is well known and revered on this forum. No question. He has an excellent reputation as a long standing member, double edged razor enthusiast, and a sought after, reliable and very rare to find "fixer of stuff - razor related". I've been lucky enough to deal with him in the past. And, it's well known that those who seek to have him work on their razors will have to be patient. However, I feel the need to try to track him down, on this public forum, at this juncture. No disrespect is intended, I just want "contact" or an update from someone. My story is short: The Captain has had 2 of my double edged safety razor plates in his possession for the last 14 months. Attempts to contact him during this time have been unsuccessful, in that I haven't heard back. I think that this is getting to be just a bit too much, no matter how busy someone may be. So, I'm reaching out. Hopefully to the Captain himself. Or, to anyone who may be able to advise on his current status. Can anyone assist or provide updated information? Thanks kindly.

@Snowbeard
You might try contacting Chris @ Razorplate as I know in the past he used him quite a bit to disassemble and reassemble razors he plated...
Hi Muzichead.

I did communicate with Chris@Razorplate a few months back about my trying to get in touch with CAP. Chris said that he hadn't heard from him in a while and wasn't sure how CAP was. But thanks for the suggestion.

Just bumping this thread. I'm perturbed. Chris Smith (Captain Murphy, CAP) has been pretty much an institution around this forum for many years, even before I joined and I joined 10 years ago. His name comes up over and over with much lavish praise. If anyone needed something fixed of a razor nature, he was the go-to guy. And, it was also well known that CAP got busy from time to time and if you dealt with him he was going to be hard to reach occasionally. But, the silence from the members of Badger & Blade is deafening right now on CAP's disappearance. Surely someone has some information that can be shared. Surely some others in the community have razors and parts that are in the possession of CAP. And they're wondering if and when they will ever be returned. Or, am I the only one who has items with CAP? Come on, its time to speak up folks!

No idea, but searching back through threads when he has dropped off the face of the earth before, most recently in 2019, he was deployed.

Another year has passed since I posted this thread seeking information on the revered Captain Murphy, aka Chris Smith of Pocatello, Idaho.

And still no one has any information about this well known and respected B&B member.

Is there no one else wondering how he is, where he is or how he's doing?

Is there no one else wondering if they'll receive back valuable razor parts that were entrusted to CAP for repair (not that that's the biggest concern here)?

I'm surprised that no one knows anything at all..zilch. Maybe the B&B community is not as connected together as I had thought.

My vigil continues. (I'm assuming annual bumps of this thread are often enough?).

Here's the early (1909 or 1910 perhaps?) Canadian razor plate that I sent to CAP in late 2021. It has sentimental value for me being a Canadian made Gillette. I only have one other Canadian made razor.

I had dealt with CAP before and while somewhat tardy in his responses (as has been noted by many others) he was polite, reasonably priced, reliable and provided a rare service.

So, I took another chance on sending this plate down (as well as another Feather plate) to Captain Murphy (aka A. Christopher Murphy, aka CAP) at his address in Pocatello, Idaho, after having received the "go-ahead" from him to do so.

But, as I've mentioned, I've heard nothing since then despite my attempts to contact him on this website and at his email address of [email protected]

His old friend, Chris at Razorplate also seems to have lost touch with him.

Given the small repair that was planned on the plate, I must say I feel very foolish having ruined this rare razor by pursuing this seemingly unnecessary repair.

I am aware of at least one other B&B member who has also lost an item to CAP. However, he apparently is reluctant to speak up. That's not my style but each to their own I guess.

Anyone else lost anything else this way? I'm surprised no one else appears to have had other items for repair in the hands of the missing CAP other than us two. What am I missing here? It's a mystery. A well known and well regarded B&B member suddenly goes missing, likely holding a number of razor parts owned by other members, and no one, I repeat no one, even has one more missing item to report? Or the guts to come forward. Is everyone afraid to say anything? Please, someone, tell me what's going on here?

Gillette Old Type Smooth Thin Handle, Smooth Ball End, Silver Safety Razor, Canada 1.JPG
Gillette Old Type Smooth Thin Handle, Smooth Ball End, Silver Safety Razor, Canada 2.JPG
Gillette Old Type Smooth Thin Handle, Smooth Ball End, Silver Safety Razor, Canada 3.JPG
Gillette Old Type Smooth Thin Handle, Smooth Ball End, Silver Safety Razor, Canada 4.JPG
Gillette Old Type Smooth Thin Handle, Smooth Ball End, Silver Safety Razor, Canada 5.JPG
Gillette Old Type Smooth Thin Handle, Smooth Ball End, Silver Safety Razor, Canada 6.JPG

Was thinking about Cap the other day. I haven't heard from him in almost two years. He has a few razors of mine (a couple of Red Tips and a few others). I hope he is OK. Always a pleasure to deal with.

Have to tried sending a registered letter (i.e. one that requires a signature for delivery) to the address where you posted the razors?

If he has moved, no one will sign for it. If he is deployed but his spouse(?) still lives there, perhaps she could give you more information.

Was thinking about Cap the other day. I haven't heard from him in almost two years. He has a few razors of mine (a couple of Red Tips and a few others). I hope he is OK. Always a pleasure to deal with.
Hi jfume.
Hi jfume. I appreciate your response.

I also encourage others to come forward as well (which I think is pretty evident in my musings on this thread so far). I'm unashamed of that request.

Of course we all hope "Captain Murphy" (A. Christopher Smith, CAP) is OK.

We all acknowledge CAP was a pleasure to deal with.

In addition to our expressing best wishes, recognizing that CAP was providing a rare service, and was a gentleman to deal with, I also just think it's also important that it be noted that at least three members of B&B are awaiting the return of items that were valuable to them, and that they felt comfortable entrusting to CAP.

Someone just "disappearing", along with some treasured items that were owned by others, isn't sitting well with me no matter the reason...

Some explanation from someone is "owed", IMHO. Whether that explanation comes from CAP himself should he return, friends or family of CAP, CAP's work colleagues or maybe even the chiefs at B&B I'm not sure. But surely someone can add something here that moves this thing along.

Personally, while I'd like an answer, I'm not in a particular hurry. I can wait and watch as this little drama continues to play out. Sometime it will resolve is my hope, and in a good way!

Cheers and thanks for listening!

Have to tried sending a registered letter (i.e. one that requires a signature for delivery) to the address where you posted the razors?

If he has moved, no one will sign for it. If he is deployed but his spouse(?) still lives there, perhaps she could give you more information.
Hey Frito Ray.

Good suggestion. (Good "handle" you got there as well, BTW).

I set out to send a registered letter last week.

I ended up just sending a regular letter as a "signed for" letter was going to cost me a little over $30 CDN and I "cheaped out" at the last second. "Good money after bad" and all that, I guess..

Hopefully something may come from this inquiry letter in any event, as you suggest.

Thanks for the input.

Hey Frito Ray.

Good suggestion. (Good "handle" you got there as well, BTW).

I set out to send a registered letter last week.

I ended up just sending a regular letter as a "signed for" letter was going to cost me a little over $30 CDN and I "cheaped out" at the last second. "Good money after bad" and all that, I guess..

Hopefully something may come from this inquiry letter in any event, as you suggest.

Thanks for the input.

$30!

Must be the international nature of the act.

Top Bottom