What's new

Canned Foam

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I may get the Pinaud Clubman brushless cream. Saw a YouTube review video of it. Guy gave it high marks. You just rub it into your whiskers by hand and shave. It doesn't really create a lather at all, but it provides the slickness and protection you need.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I may get the Pinaud Clubman brushless cream. Saw a YouTube review video of it. Guy gave it high marks. You just rub it into your whiskers by hand and shave. It doesn't really create a lather at all, but it provides the slickness and protection you need.
This is an instance where you definitely need to take one for the team my friend!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This is an instance where you definitely need to take one for the team my friend!

It seemed to work good for the guy in the video. In fact, he was shocked at how slick it was. But...yeah...it's a risk. LOL!

Ordered.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thought I’d use the can again today.....good old Proraso green.
It’s good stuff but I feel that Barbasol is just as good. I like Proraso green as a soap more than I do as a foam.
Never tried any Proraso soap. But @shavefan sent me two different aftershaves that are awesome.

Nivea shaving foam in the blue can.

This is a weird one. One one hand it’s creamy and thick and lathers well on the face. It smells nice too. Where it lacks is slickness. Don’t get me wrong, it did provide enough lubrication for the razor but it has no residual slickness. None. With other foams they tend to dry but add a bit of water to the spot where the razor has done its job and you can still feel a thin slick film. None of that with this product.

Despite this shortcoming I still got a comfortable DFS.

Tools used: Edwin Jagger DE89 with rubberized handle, Feather blade on its 6th shave; fresh BIC Astor

Conclusion: At almost 3 USD per can of 200ml this is quite expensive compared to other brands. The Cien Men foam that LIDL sells will beat this on performance and price any day. Figaro (made in Italy) and regular Gillette foamy are also better performers.

I tried some Barbasol Aloe a few months back after DE shaving with great soaps and creams for almost 2 years. I wanted to see if it was equivalent or acceptable. It was neither.

After a few strokes on my cheek I was done and rinsed it all off. No glide, no protection, nothing. Started from scratch lathering some Martin de Candre instead, and had a proper shave. To be fair, I never used canned foams even with carts, I always used Aveeno gel which was far more protective and slick compared to all the foams I tried.

If the canned stuff works for you that's great. Not for this guy though, keep that ** away from me!
Just curious what is a (proper) shave?

Just curious what is a (proper) shave?

Back when I made this post I was using a super aggressive razor and there were very few soaps that protected my face adequately.

Now that I’m using a milder razor, I’m having great shaves with canned goo. In hindsight, “proper” was the wrong word, as it sounds elitist.

Back when I made this post I was using a super aggressive razor and there were very few soaps that protected my face adequately.

Now that I’m using a milder razor, I’m having great shaves with canned goo. In hindsight, “proper” was the wrong word, as it sounds elitist.
Thank you sir for your quick answer, some people have the notion that a proper shave is all the bells and whistles as the hobby end of it being it’s the only way one should shave, thank you again.

For arond 15 yr i shave with brush and soap and mach3. Since one year i began to shave with DE razors and finish with only one i use every day and its the Feather AS-D2. This summer for vacation i bought A Feather Popular and Proraso canned foam cause i dont want to broke my AS-D2 in luggage. Wow i am amase how nice are shaves with foam. Now i use Proraso oat and green tea foam wich i prefer to same soap but in cream. I always have better shave with foam.

I Believe the propellant is held in a separate bag that does not come in contact with the cream, gel or foam

There is no separate bag in cans of shave foam. The butane (more strictly it's a blend of butane and propane) is emulsified into the soap solution and is an integral part of the product.

Shave gel cans have the gel separated from the butane/propane blend but it's the gel that's in the separate bag. The butane/propane blend never leaves the can.

I'm not a biochemist but I doubt the butane evaporates right off.

The product in the can is an emulsion of the a soap solution and a liquified blend of isobutane and propane. Liquefied because it's under pressure. When the product is actuated from the foam spout the pressure on it is then reduced and the liquefied gases instantly boil, producing the foam. So it is true that the "butane" evaporates (or more strictly boils) but it is then held trapped in the foam.

Even if it does contact the foam, it does flash right off. Butane is not stable and does not absorb into the skin or stay in the foam.

"Butane" is a very stable compound. The "butane" is an integral part of the foam - without it there would be no foam. It stays in the foam throughout the life of the shave but I doubt any significant amount of "butane" would be absorbed into the skin whilst shaving.

Bit off topic, but what were these mythical soaps that protected your skin under the most inhospitable of circumstances? Inquiring minds want to know.

There is no separate bag in cans of shave foam. The butane (more strictly it's a blend of butane and propane) is emulsified into the soap solution and is an integral part of the product.

Shave gel cans have the gel separated from the butane/propane blend but it's the gel that's in the separate bag. The butane/propane blend never leaves the can.
My mistake, I saw a gel can cut open and thought all types of shave cans were the same, never assume

Top Bottom