What's new

Canned Foam

Noxzema foam- one of my fave scents in shaving- is finished. Even the Canadian product seems to be no more. Selling for more than $10 a can on ebay now, of course. I have such memories of that stuff from my childhood- using it to do fake shaves in the bathroom with one of my father's razors (sans blade). Truly iconic scent of camphor. Very sad.
Did Noxzema go out of business? I’ve never used their shaving cream, but I used to love their face wash.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I LOVE lavender. You've given me an idea for how to become rich, but I know I'll forget it in the morning if I don't write it down, and I'm too lazy to do that. And I'd probably misplace the note anyway. And I can't write it here or you or someone like you will steal my idea....and I'd hate to ruin our friendship by me becoming jealous of you stealing my idea and becoming filthy rich so I guess we'll both just have to stay poor. Sorry my friend.
Okay, after sleeping on it, I've decided I'm not made for being rich.

So here's the plan: mix Lavender essential oil with jojoba oil. Rub it on your face, then use whatever you want to shave with on top of that.

Your welcome, Dave - the Tanned Farmer

Anyone have idea where the Smartly brand from Target is manufactured? I picked a can up for .98 cents, it’s nice but only says distributed by Target, not location of manufacture.

Noxzema foam- one of my fave scents in shaving- is finished. Even the Canadian product seems to be no more. Selling for more than $10 a can on ebay now, of course. I have such memories of that stuff from my childhood- using it to do fake shaves in the bathroom with one of my father's razors (sans blade). Truly iconic scent of camphor. Very sad.

Two shaving cream scents indelibly imprinted in my olfactory memory: Noxzema and some coconut scented shave cream (back then there were other brands besides Gillette and Barbasol), presumably artificial, but really delectable!

As Sean Connery said in "The Medicine Man," "The palate remembers."

After Noxzema, all shave soap scents are wimpy. I can't even remember what any of my modern canned mousse shaving creams smell like.

It appears that not everyone reading this site is old enough to remember the Noxzema TV commercials. Take a gander at this:

Why the poster listed it as 1967 is beyond me. The Wilkinson bonded blade (great razor!) hadn't been invented yet. I think it was 1970, right?

While I realize now the model wasn't actually shaving, just removing the shaving mousse, I'm willing to forgive, given that he may have had to repeat the process 50 times, poor guy.

Ah, the good old days! Kinda sad to see shaving stuff from my teenage years listed on eBay as antiques.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Two shaving cream scents indelibly imprinted in my olfactory memory: Noxzema and some coconut scented shave cream (back then there were other brands besides Gillette and Barbasol), presumably artificial, but really delectable!

As Sean Connery said in "The Medicine Man," "The palate remembers."

After Noxzema, all shave soap scents are wimpy.

While I realize now the model wasn't actually shaving, just removing the shaving cream, I'm willing to forgive, given that he may have had to repeat the process 50 times, poor guy.

Ah, the good old days! Kinda sad to see shaving stuff from my teenage years listed on eBay as antiques.

Amen!

Who can ever forget that Noxzema commercial? Whoever thought it up was a genius!

Some TV commercials in the 60s-70s weren't exactly subliminal. Remember the Ultra Brite commercials from back then? They managed to squeeze the word "sex" into a 30-second spot three times. "Ultra Brite gives your mouth... sex appeal" packaged into one of the more brilliantly irritating ads. Listen to the "music" background. Irritating but hypnotic.

Now, the old hair coloring commercials from the 50s were masterpieces of semi-subliminal advertising. Us kids never suspected the real meaning.

And then there were the Maidenform ads. THAT we kids got. Thankyouthankyouthankyou! What was the movie that had one as a billboard? Oh, yeah! "Viva Max!" 1969.

The Maidenform billboard is at 16 seconds, but is fuzzy here (not in the original movie): "I dreamt I was a matador in my Maidenform bra." (It's a Mexican ad.)

Sorry for the digression.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled shaving discussion, whatever it was about.

Last edited:
The Canadian company that made Noxzema stopped making it in March of 2018. I recently bought a can from Ebay that worked great but had zero scent. Bummer.

The original Noxzema formula back in 1914 included cloves, camphor and menthol. My guess is the shave cream was mainly menthol.

I'm not sure I want to put camphor or cloves on my face while shaving. I wonder how common these scents are in shaving soap?

If you want to reproduce the Noxzema tingle, perhaps you could just add some menthol to your shave soap (or perhaps a good hand soap?). Here's one possibility:

Eucalyptus is a related scent:

And then there are wintergreen and peppermint. Some stores, such as Walmart or health food stores, sell essential oils, sometimes in an assortment pack. While they might smell good, the effect on your skin, good or bad, is another matter.

Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap has a similar strong punch. At least one person reported shaving with it successfully, though I didn't. They have other interesting scents. If you have never tried washing with Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap, you should! It is to soap what espresso is to coffee.

What I enjoy about canned foam when I apply it by hand is the post shave routine. It’s quick and convenient .... no brush to rinse out. There was a stretch of years in de shaving when most men used the can with the de. That was maybe around 20 yrs when the first canned foam appeared until the Gillette Trac 2 made its debut. I suspect many brush and soap users don’t realize that. It has it’s place in safety razor history.

Why, I've wondered, do some people shave in the evening (or is this a dumb question)?
For some people that work the graveyard shift such as the ER staff, law enforcement officers, firefighters, paramedics and nursing home staff that could be when they’re waking up to go to work. As to the canned foam I don’t “hate” it. I just don’t like how messy it seems compared to soaps/brushed creams and the sticky residue feel it leaves behind. If I did a one pass shave (I normally do a 3 pass shave) I doubt I would see much time savings between canned foam and a brush and soap/cream. Another downside to canned foam is for those who do a 3 pass shave and don’t have or want to use a brush with foam is having to clean your hands after applying the foam. In fact it’s been so long since I’ve used canned foam that I had a partially used can start to dispense itself out the nozzle down the side of the can under the sink in my bathroom

Last edited:
Ah thought I’d take a break from using the brush and soap tonight. So I grabbed my Proraso green foam, did an easy one pass shave and got excellent results. Close to a BBS shave. I think I like using the can again, at least for now. Tomorrow I’ll order the Proraso red foam, the Sandalwood scented. I like that smell more than the eucalyptus menthol of the green. It does cost 9 bucks thru Amazon, that’s a lot more than a can of Barbasol….

323436A7-0901-4C18-A1CA-A4434BB67224.jpeg

B53CCC31-CD88-4A84-972B-A59E711A37A2.jpeg

Good company doing good things 👍🏼

I bought this for road trips mainly, but it’s great for a quick, passable, slick shave!
💈🖖🏼💈

Top Bottom