What's new

Canned Foam

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
And so I did: This morning I mixed some Trumper's Almond Cream with my Semogue boar brush in the scuttle, then spritzed some Barbasol into the bowl and lathered it up. Made for a fantastic shave.
This sounds interesting, I may try this. Not with GFT though.

I was looking with wonder at the beguiling marketing copy of an "artisanal shaving soap" on the big A:

Buried in the Q&A is a list of ingredients. The first two are stearic acid and water.

Guess what the first two ingredients in Barbasol and Equate are?

Right: Water and stearic acid.

The difference: The fancy soap costs $16 for 4.6 ounces. The canned foam costs $1 to $1.50 for 10 or 11 ounces.

What is stearic acid, you ask? It's what makes the shaving cream lather and foam.

Where does stearic acid come from? It's extracted from fats, plant butters and most of all soybean oil. In other words, normally it is a package deal with the fats that used to be used to make soap. Same with glycerin: normally it is in animal and vegetable fats. Also, lauric acid is normally about half the content of coconut oil. Now we break the fats apart and then put them back together again in different combinations to make soap.

You know, back in the Middle Ages, before the invention of Western organized science, people believed in superstition and magic, and worshiped religion. We are now entering a new Dark Ages where most people are largely ignorant of basic scientific principles. So they are again turning to 21st century superstition and magic, and worshiping product brands, with Apple the new Golden Idol, and Steve Jobs their Savior.

These corporations are happy to sell the public magic products, with all sorts of buzzwords they don't understand -- superstition.

Don't worship Corporations and their Brands, people, including brands that start with the letter "G." You really are under no obligation to tithe P&G.

If the foam works, use it!

If I'm in a hurry I use a synthetic brush (because it doesn't require soaking, just wet and go) and shaving creme (because it's faster to load and quicker to lather).
If I'm in a hurry I use a synthetic brush and cream or a stick. If I'm in a MAJOR hurry, I bust out the can. When I shave in the morning before work, it's usually the former. The latter only occurs if I get called in to work at the last minute or I oversleep. On weekends, and when I shave in the evening instead of the morning, it's badger or boar and a puck (or sometimes a croap).

If I'm in a hurry I use a synthetic brush and cream or a stick. If I'm in a MAJOR hurry, I bust out the can. When I shave in the morning before work, it's usually the former. The latter only occurs if I get called in to work at the last minute or I oversleep. On weekends, and when I shave in the evening instead of the morning, it's badger or boar and a puck (or sometimes a croap).

A good attitude, not being dogmatic and being willing to try different things, like canned shaving cream. Remember, not all canned shaving creams are the same.

I'm still not quite sure where canned shaving cream fits in for me. It works well, and I know it is better than some shaving soap I have wasted my money on. I am still experimenting.

Why, I've wondered, do some people shave in the evening (or is this a dumb question)?

A good attitude, not being dogmatic and being willing to try different things, like canned shaving cream. Remember, not all canned shaving creams are the same.

I'm still not quite sure where canned shaving cream fits in for me. It works well, and I know it is better than some shaving soap I have wasted my money on. I am still experimenting.

Why, I've wondered, do some people shave in the evening (or is this a dumb question)?
Not a dumb question, shaving at night is sometimes more relaxing, you can shave closer and your face will calm down by morning and still be very presentable for your day imo

I'd use them but they really burn and dry out my face. I've never liked the scents either. Much prefer the simple, crisper and brisk scents of mass-market wet-shave products. In the long-run they don't work out particularly expensive (definitely not as cheap) as canned product but oh well. Non-Aerosol Shave gels from supermarkets will always have my dollar. Can't beat Sukin Gel or King of Shaves Gel. For my skin, much better than the can. I really like supermarket aftershave though! Wish I could use some canned product every now and then, the satisfying sound of spraying some foam/gel is always cool. My face just hates it.

One reason I use the can at times is the applying of the cream with the fingers. It’s a nice feeling, a hands on approach to shaving. Kind of comforting to say the least.

I've been used canned goo for the last month straight and have not been missing a brush one single bit. Rubbing in the second pass is way more comfortable this way, and I can feel exactly where I need to shave much easier. I love it.

Had to rush out this AM but needed to shave

Found a can of Barbasol while packing for Canada that my wife had for crafts.

Decided to use it (I tried the CaD soap and found I like the Barbasol homage)

I cant remember last time I used canned foam. Even when I used a cartridge I used gel

Was pleasantly surprised with how slick and smooth it was

Don't think I'll trade in my 15 soaps and 25 brushes but I honestly could use it and be satisfied
I could use it exclusively also and be happy.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've been used canned goo for the last month straight and have not been missing a brush one single bit. Rubbing in the second pass is way more comfortable this way, and I can feel exactly where I need to shave much easier. I love it.
Blasphemy! LOL, and YMMV and all that. I still use foam when I shave in the shower if I'm in a hurry. I just use bar soap under the canned stuff.

You can prep all you want outside the shower, even three seconds after a shower, but your beard will never be as hydrated as it is inside the shower.

Blasphemy! LOL, and YMMV and all that. I still use foam when I shave in the shower if I'm in a hurry. I just use bar soap under the canned stuff.

You can prep all you want outside the shower, even three seconds after a shower, but your beard will never be as hydrated as it is inside the shower.

I use a dab of Cremo rubbed in prior as a pre-shave. The goo by itself isn't all that luxurious, but totally works just fine. A little pre-shave makes a huge difference, as you also experience using your bath soap.

I like Cremo Lavender with Barbasol Original goo, those scents are made perfectly for each other.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use a dab of Cremo rubbed in prior as a pre-shave. The goo by itself isn't all that luxurious, but totally works just fine. A little pre-shave makes a huge difference, as you also experience using your bath soap.

I like Cremo Lavender with Barbasol Original goo, those scents are made perfectly for each other.
I LOVE lavender. You've given me an idea for how to become rich, but I know I'll forget it in the morning if I don't write it down, and I'm too lazy to do that. And I'd probably misplace the note anyway. And I can't write it here or you or someone like you will steal my idea....and I'd hate to ruin our friendship by me becoming jealous of you stealing my idea and becoming filthy rich so I guess we'll both just have to stay poor. Sorry my friend.

I was looking with wonder at the beguiling marketing copy of an "artisanal shaving soap" on the big A:

Buried in the Q&A is a list of ingredients. The first two are stearic acid and water.

Guess what the first two ingredients in Barbasol and Equate are?

Right: Water and stearic acid.

The difference: The fancy soap costs $16 for 4.6 ounces. The canned foam costs $1 to $1.50 for 10 or 11 ounces.

I mean, the first ingredient of a McDonald's hamburger patty may be beef, but I'm pretty sure I could tell it apart from a Wagyu steak. That's not to say that the McD's burger doesn't have its place, but I would argue that sharing ingredients doesn't necessarily make two things all that similar.

Also, keep in mind that you're going to use more of the canned foam per shave by weight...not that artisan soaps are a thrifty purchase, just that inexpensive classics like Cella or La Toja would be a better deal than either, if you just care about price.

Not a dumb question at all! For me, it's usually about energy and motivation. I usually shave in the mornings these days, but I used to shave at night a lot, and that was mainly because I tended to feel more like shaving in the evening, especially if I'd been posting on B&B throughout the day, whereas in the morning I was still sleepy and just wanted to get the shave over with. If you can get a close enough shave to last you the day, why not just shave when you feel most interested in it?

And yeah, back when I was single I would make a point to shower & shave before dates, even if I'd already shaved that morning.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Noxzema foam- one of my fave scents in shaving- is finished. Even the Canadian product seems to be no more. Selling for more than $10 a can on ebay now, of course. I have such memories of that stuff from my childhood- using it to do fake shaves in the bathroom with one of my father's razors (sans blade). Truly iconic scent of camphor. Very sad.

Top Bottom